The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

fishing addons - can we get automatic reel in?

Necrotech_Master
Necrotech_Master
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
i have used various fishing addons (right now votans fisherman) to alert me when i need to reel in

would it be possible to have a fishing addon that just automatically reeled in?

a reason ive heard someone give me in game that auto reel in is not added because it would be against TOS due to "too much automation", but i dont believe that answer if addons like the lazy writ crafter are allowed to exist (as they fully automate crafting all of the items for the writ once you go to the table). i also dont believe automatic reeling in is too much because you still have to go to the fishing hole and press E to start fishing to begin with, which would be the same as going to a crafting table for the writ crafter addons

i could understand the current versions of fishing addons better if there were some technical reason preventing auto-reel ins, but if a fishing addon had an auto reel in feature, then i would absolutely start fishing a lot more
plays PC/NA
handle @Necrotech_Master
active player since april 2014
  • aleksandr_ESO
    aleksandr_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    impossible without third party software and it would be against TOS
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if there is nothing in the API to allow the addon to execute the "use" function, then that makes sense why its not there

personally still very annoying if you can basically automate crafting writs, but not fishing, and hopefully something that they could add at some point

i enjoy crafting more than i do fishing
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Meredy
    Meredy
    ✭✭✭
    if there is nothing in the API to allow the addon to execute the "use" function, then that makes sense why its not there

personally still very annoying if you can basically automate crafting writs, but not fishing, and hopefully something that they could add at some point

Fishing on it's own is a very basic minigame and is seen as an occupation by the developers of the game (Matt Firor named fishing evidentely when asked about the amount of things one can do in this game), so naturally it's not meant to be an automated thing like Crafting Dailies you do every day.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meredy wrote: »

Fishing on it's own is a very basic minigame and is seen as an occupation by the developers of the game (Matt Firor named fishing evidentely when asked about the amount of things one can do in this game), so naturally it's not meant to be an automated thing like Crafting Dailies you do every day.

i personally dont even do normal crafting writs everyday because i dislike them even though there are addons that help with it, i find no enjoyment out of it (i dont mind doing master writs though)

fishing to me is a nice relaxing thing, but i hate the little minigame, i still see fishing more as "harvesting a material node" than actually fishing and my expectation for a material node is i hit E once to harvest, then i loot when it is done the animation
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even the idea says "I like botting" o:)

If you want to get your account banned for such a simple thing, you can use external software like fishing bots to do that for you.
    But I doubt you'd like this to happen

btw: Crafting writs are not totally automated. You need to walk to the turn in and interact with the NPC.
    With the given API it was possible to circumvent a lot of the manual topics of the writs, yes. But I doubt this was ever intended by ZOs and for me this also is a bit against the TOS. Well, I guess they were not clear enough, and provided the API, so this is allowed.
    But using external software or tools to circumvent non-given API would be clearly against.

Edited by Baertram on March 8, 2022 8:58AM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baertram wrote: »

Even the idea says "I like botting" o:)

If you want to get your account banned for such a simple thing, you can use external software like fishing bots to do that for you.
    But I doubt you'd like this to happen

btw: Crafting writs are not totally automated. You need to walk to the turn in and interact with the NPC.
    With the given API it was possible to circumvent a lot of the manual topics of the writs, yes. But I doubt this was ever intended by ZOs and for me this also is a bit against the TOS. Well, I guess they were not clear enough, and provided the API, so this is allowed.
    But using external software or tools to circumvent non-given API would be clearly against.

i personally dont see the act of reeling in the fish being automated as "botting", i see it as eliminating a mind-numbing extra step on a harvesting node (imagine having to do a rune node harvest and having to hit E at the right time or you "fail" the harvest), that is how i see fishing, nothing more than material node harvesting but with an extra nonsense step

fishing is NOT a minigame to me, antiquities is a minigame, the future incoming card game is a minigame, but not fishing

for the crafting writs i was mainly talking about the actual "work" being automated, there is no way turning in would be automated without "botting" software as you put it lol

but this dumb fishing "minigame" is why i dont fish much as is (i got master angler and then basically dont do it at all unless they add something to it like antiquity leads)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get what you mean but explained differently:
    The thing is that you need to press the interaction key to start and "properly stop" (reel in, not too early, not too late) the fishing.
    So if you'd automate this it would need a botting like mechanics to detect the correct reel in time and press keys for you -> Botting!

The crafting stuff is not doing such like things for you as it just needs to know what to craft (API provides that, where as "reel in now" is not provided by any API) and you click on a button to start the craft then (maybe automatic crafting is possible as well as you approach a crafting table, but this is something I personally even dislike as it will craft stuff as you do not have opened the "create" tab -> You are at the refine tab and addons relying on the UI break then as the event_craft_finished fires and they think you are at the "crate" tab, do their checks, fail to run lua code and throw errors...
    I doubt ZOS APi is intended to be used exactly the way it currently is able to work. But it is provided by ZOs, as is, and thus not against the TOS using it.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how do current fishing addons work then, where they "detect" when to reel in to give you an alert? i havent really looked at them in depth as to how they work, but they definitely work pretty good for alerting you to when you need to perform the reel in action

thats why i was thinking "oh well if we are already detecting when we need to reel in, why doesnt this just also activate the interaction key too instead of telling me to hit the interaction key?"

based on your explanation though, it sounds like the reel-in detection is more of an arbitrary timer to fall within the range of needing to reel in if there is nothing that actually reports when the reel-in needs to happen

this is the thing that always puzzled me when i asked about it in game since it was never explained, just a "it cant be done" and then i see the fishing addons correctly announcing when i need to reel in, but not executing the interact function to just reel in itself

from a user perspective this to me seemed like it should have just called the interact function instead of throwing the visual/audio alert to reel in manually, but if it receives no feedback to alert when the reel in has to happen and its just a simple arbitrary timer to wait on that makes a lot more sense (and another reason i hate fishing because this timer is way too long)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    The addons detecting it with help of "loosing a bait from inventory".

The interact function is private. Which means, it can not be called by an addon. This has to happen from built-in. So you have to go the original designed way. => Pressing a button.
    Edited by votan73 on March 11, 2022 11:27AM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    votan73 wrote: »
    The addons detecting it with help of "loosing a bait from inventory".

The interact function is private. Which means, it can not be called by an addon. This has to happen from built-in. So you have to go the original designed way. => Pressing a button.

i wish they had better support from fishing addons then lol, i am glad that they work as well as they do (thank you votan!), but it seems really janky that the only way we can detect when to reel in is when the actual bait unit is "used up" lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fishing is so mind-numbing, I don't disagree that it hardly qualifies as a mini game. Even Stardew Valley has more enjoyable fishing mechanics.

That said, the game as it is requires interacting with something in the game world, not just the UI or your own character. That is something the API will never let you do. It is firmly bot territory.

As for why automatic crafting is allowed, I don't know. Probably because it's just dealing with inventory on the character themselves, not the game world.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i can definitely see the original cast being an interaction with the game world, but its an action i dont mind taking

i do hope they can improve fishing at some point, at least for those of us who get no enjoyment out of the "mini game" that it forces upon us

honestly it kind of annoys me that EVERY game that has fishing, feels like they need fishing to be some kind of minigame, it would be so much more relaxing to just cast and let it sit and auto reel in when you get a fish
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC, using a controller with vibration (console) will signal you to pull the fish in when it takes the bait. If you aim at the spot, you can fish it dry without looking/paying attention much.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    right now i have votans fisherman to do a nice "ding" when to reel in, but thats still not enough sometimes if im completely paying attention to something else because the fishing is so slow (like i cant really play another game on my 2nd computer and still always make the reel in, but i can usually at least watch tv/movie)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master