Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Severe Weather, Dust Storms etc.

Shagreth
Shagreth
✭✭✭✭✭
.. would be a nice thing to have. I can barely see the rain with the current implementation during heavy thunderstorms and as far as I know Vvardenfell doesn't even have dust storms. Also, for those that feel irritated (or their PC's.. :p) by said weather -- they could put an option to disable/reduce.

Last but not least: interior weather sounds, currently there's barely any. Would be especially nice for player homes. Windows that you can see outside would be cool, too, but I don't see that ever happening, for obvious reasons. Anyway, I feel that this would do wonders for the atmosphere of the game. @ZOS_Kevin
Edited by Shagreth on February 28, 2022 9:02PM
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the most immersion-breaking thing about weather is when you find out it is player-instanced and it can be storming/raining for you while it is clear and sunny for someone right next to you.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finedaible wrote: »
    I think the most immersion-breaking thing about weather is when you find out it is player-instanced and it can be storming/raining for you while it is clear and sunny for someone right next to you.
    You can't be serious! I wasn't even aware of that fact. This is super sad and something's telling me that they don't plan on changing how this works. @ZOS_GinaBruno Sorry for yet another tag, I know you guys usually get tagged for 'buff this nerf that' but this is kinda important for us that enjoy RP and the general unique atmosphere of ESO.

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They had these severe weather things in Red Dead Redemption 2. While beautiful and very well done, especially the massive lightning storms, they become very, very annoying after a while. Especially when you are in a area where a fall can kill you, or if an enemy is pursuing you, or if you are looking for a specific location, like a treasure or resource. I prefer ESO's occasional rain shower instead.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's something I can do without. There's enough lag as it is and this would probably make it worse.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Woops, sorry :# but yeah, as the previous poster said I think it's for performance reasons more than anything else.
  • S0Z0H
    S0Z0H
    ✭✭✭
    How about some Nintendo 64 level fogging? Anyone remember that? It was nearly in every N64 game because apart from any "immersion" , it would let the game hide it's low draw distance and asset "pop in" lol.

So no rain storms , just crank up the fog machines , I'm sure the game would run better ;) lol
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's something I can do without. There's enough lag as it is and this would probably make it worse.
    Woops, sorry :# but yeah, as the previous poster said I think it's for performance reasons more than anything else.

Did you two miss the "option" bit?
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cyrodil has weather events, and the framerate drops drastically every time one starts, sometimes disconnecting you entirely. Your idea is super cool, and would definitely be awesome to see, but I don't think you'd enjoy the actual outcome of it.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have played a game with server weather, but it was meaningful. It had a real effect. The game lacks the overall design to make weather so there is a purpose to them. It is not important to have empty visuals.

• Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many of you having such hyperbolic reactions about this, again, OPTIONS. Just as you can reduce graphics to increase FPS or 'lag' as you call it (mistake). What a concept, eh? God forbid people that care for something more other than numbers and player performance get something.
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there's no money in RP will will.never.happen.

I've been asking for /eatfood for about 5 years lol
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that's just sad. I find that the game is somewhat lacking in that department, even housing, there's so many things to buy for a home, but few reasons to actually be there and make use of, can't even lay on a bed last time I checked.
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be a good idea for housing, having proper weather, time & skybox options to create some really insane environments.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually don't care for things like this but I really like this idea. Darker nights with moons illuminating the surroundings and clouds obscuring the moons from time to time. Powerful storms during which it gets dark even in the daytime. Sand and snow storms obscuring the view for a few meters.

Provided that it could be adjusted in the settings then I am all for it. It could be beautiful!
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • RisenEclipse
    RisenEclipse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Player houses, outfit slots, mounts, pets, costumes, hair styles, makeup, literally most of the crown store... All of that is usable in RP. There is a ton of money in RP. In fact I know some RPers that have spent well into the 4 digits into this game for their RP with their guild and friends.

As for the second point... there is an entire emote section dedicated to eating food. There is literally an eat 1-4. If you're asking for a command to eat a specific food, well that is a little unrealistic. But there are a ton of eating emotes. Even cooking ones now.
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is an option I would have it set to "off for ever".
    I get annoyed enough that there is a a semi permanent thunder storm no matter where I travel.
    I also get a bit annoyed that it seems that every time I login it is night. Darker nights - no thank you.
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sad this post didn't come before the Deadlands DLC dropped as i think having extreme weather with risks would of been perfect for that DLC.
    Add Veyas hair for us players to use!
  • TiberX
    TiberX
    ✭✭✭✭
    No TY! It adds immersion but i have enough with the CC's in this game. Have u ever tried that BG where its ice storm? Really annoying i have to say.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TiberX wrote: »
    No TY! It adds immersion but i have enough with the CC's in this game. Have u ever tried that BG where its ice storm? Really annoying i have to say.
    Once again: OPTIONS SHOULD EXIST think something like DOF, no-one is forcing you to experience said effect, it's optional. I don't understand why this concept is so difficult to grasp.

Some of you remind me of CS players, where they tuned down certain graphical settings to better see through certain stuff and/or to have the best FPS possible. This is an mmorpg game, so, yeah, it has to look pretty and immersive.
    Edited by Shagreth on March 1, 2022 12:10PM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A few times I’ve even found spots where the weather instantly changes for me too 😂
    One foot to the left = Gets cloudy/rainy
    One foot to the right = Clouds go away and sun comes out
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also play FFXIV and some things like fishing require the weather to be a certain condition which makes it fun to fish.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Would be cool, but I don't think ZoS has the skills to pull it off without horrible consequences. EVEN if it was optional.

Look at Harrowstorms and the north part of The Deadlands. They never use a screwdriver where an orbital sledgehammer can be deployed instead.
    PC NA
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes plx
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭

At least it doesn't seen to rain inside the tree in Grahtwood anymore.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need the option to be able to reduce or remove certain weathers. There's been accessibility complaints about the flashing during thunderstorms for a long time, and ZOS hasn't done anything about that. Deadlands launched with lots of flashing, and ZOS had to tone it down.

So while I'd be fine with severe weather, it's got to come with better options for player control.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd actually love to see major snowstorms and really heavy rain, but not sure even an optional setup would work - because though some would turn it "down" or off entirely, probably a lot more of us would want it on, and that could be a lag disaster almost immediately. Though if it could work client side instead of server side? What we have now runs client side - in my game it's nearly always raining even in the deserts of southern Bangkorai (used to rain in Alik'r too, but haven't seen that lately) while in my friend's game it almost never rains. Hmm. I should check with her to see if she's ever realized she can set the "wet" number higher....

I like it raining all the time - I don't get much rain IRL where I live, so it makes up for it a little!
  • Aardappelboom
    Aardappelboom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've asked this before and would also love this.

But what would make it even better is if trees and other foliage is impacted by (at least) wind, there's nothing more immersion breaking than a storm while the entire world stays static...

All this could be client side, should have no impact on lag at all, I guess.
    Edited by Aardappelboom on March 1, 2022 10:17PM
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just want a built-in option to disable the permanent fog. We shouldn't have to install Daybreak for something like that.
    PC NA
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I actually love it when I run into a thick fog.
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shagreth wrote: »
    You can't be serious! I wasn't even aware of that fact. This is super sad and something's telling me that they don't plan on changing how this works. @ZOS_GinaBruno Sorry for yet another tag, I know you guys usually get tagged for 'buff this nerf that' but this is kinda important for us that enjoy RP and the general unique atmosphere of ESO.

Oh yeah, this has been the way it's worked forever as far as I know. One time I was telling a friend over VOIP that it's raining in Craglorn and he said it wasn't. We were both in Belkarth. So we grouped and he "traveled" to me and voila' he too was in the thunderstorm. LOL