The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Improving DPS

DigiAngel
DigiAngel
✭✭✭✭✭
Ugh....so tired of trying to get decent DPS, but here goes...basically following:

https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-dragonknight-build-pve/

Almost to the letter, with the exception of using a Kinras maul on the back bar using the two handed skill Stampede for the AoE/DOT (and get's me in the fight quicker) instead of the bow skill and weapon. All armor is Divines, and golded out with the exception of the helm, not gold. Jewelry is purple as well. All traits and enchantments are per the site. The armor isn't the Perfected version.

As of now, on a 3 mil hit point skeleton dummy I'm doing about 31K. During trial fights on mobs and such I've seen I can get up to 42K occasionally. I'm taking the Weapon Power when needed (usually when I run out of stamina which is often). I'm doing the proper Seething Fury prep prior to battle, and I'm doing the proper weaving (at least I think I am) with la -> cancel animation with an abilty -> la -> etc....

So....why is the DPS here SO BUGGERALL LOW. Is the build garbage? Am I not weaving correctly? I don't get it...seriously I don't....besides golding out the jewelry and helm, I can't go any further with the gear....so right now I'm at a complete loss.

Any assistance would be swell.
  • Milchbart
    Milchbart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you use the addon "cmx"?
    There you can analyse your dps really precise and in depth, for example you can see if you weave properly, each missed la is shown there.
    Edited by Milchbart on February 19, 2022 3:07PM
  • TPishek
    TPishek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    31k on a 3 mill dummy isn't too bad, and trial parses are pretty dependent on the buffs your supports are doing. The 100k+ parses you might be comparing to are on trial dummies with a ton of buffs applied to them and you, so that would be the first place to look.
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use the iron atro dummy when doing your tests. It means you can compare against what you see others do better and don’t worry about sustain as much.

Then see if you are hitting 60k or 100k and that gives an idea of how far away you are.

Also if you are on pc then you should share the combat metrics summary to show damage contributors, uptimes and weaving success.

The reason why you’ll be lower won’t be gear, the purple to gold really doesn’t matter much out with weapons.

It’s going to come down to executing rotation, maintaining dots and weave speed not just weave success. If you have access to combat metrics then I’d say share that and people will be able to help a bit more otherwise it’s really tough to say
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all...yes I do use cmx..didn't realize it give give that level of detail though, so I'll take another look and report back.
  • Lenny_linguine
    DigiAngel wrote: »
    Ugh....so tired of trying to get decent DPS, but here goes...basically following:

https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-dragonknight-build-pve/

Almost to the letter, with the exception of using a Kinras maul on the back bar using the two handed skill Stampede for the AoE/DOT (and get's me in the fight quicker) instead of the bow skill and weapon. All armor is Divines, and golded out with the exception of the helm, not gold. Jewelry is purple as well. All traits and enchantments are per the site. The armor isn't the Perfected version.

As of now, on a 3 mil hit point skeleton dummy I'm doing about 31K. During trial fights on mobs and such I've seen I can get up to 42K occasionally. I'm taking the Weapon Power when needed (usually when I run out of stamina which is often). I'm doing the proper Seething Fury prep prior to battle, and I'm doing the proper weaving (at least I think I am) with la -> cancel animation with an abilty -> la -> etc....

So....why is the DPS here SO BUGGERALL LOW. Is the build garbage? Am I not weaving correctly? I don't get it...seriously I don't....besides golding out the jewelry and helm, I can't go any further with the gear....so right now I'm at a complete loss.

Any assistance would be swell.

Not quite sure based on the wording if you are or are not doing this, but the weapon and spell power potion needs to be used as soon as its off cooldown and you need medicinal use passives. that will improve dps if you are currently not doing so. secondly, you want to test dps on the trial dummy just because it is the community standard and therefore easier to make comparisons between other builds. Light attack weaving on combat metrics is helpful here, but without seeing a parse its hard to know. if you post are parse with your dps and information page can give better feedback :)
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again...will get a parse up today hopefully.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DigiAngel wrote: »
    Thanks again...will get a parse up today hopefully.

Most important things on CMX are going to be pace and light attacks. That right there will tell you 90% of your issues. The rest is going to be comparing damage per skill to a meta parse, which is basically going to show how good your uptimes are. I dont know how much of a DPS loss backbarring a 2 hander would be all else equal, but I am guessing it aint 0.

If this was a pie chart, it's like 50% pace, 25% buff/DOT uptime, 15% missed LAs and like 10% build. Yes I made those numbers up. Point is assuming your build passes the smell test, most of the DPS comes down to your ability execute the rotation. Pace is very important, but only go as fast as you can go without messing up the other two components (uptime and missed LAs). A fast rotation doesnt do much good if your DOT uptimes stink or you miss 1/3 LAs. But for the most part, if you assume you can weave and your rotation makes sense, Pace is often the difference between 80k and 100k.

Oh, and use a trial dummy. 3 mils can give misleading results. They die in less than a minute, and with a DOT based class, they can underrepresent your DPS as they take longer to build up. Trial parses are of course what matters, but those can also have a lot of variables. How good are the group buffs, what fight are we talking about, how well do you know said fight, etc. There are trial fights where I can pull well north of 100k ST, and others where I am lucky to break 40K.

• DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much Oreyn_Bearclaw...that makes me feel better :)
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bah....can only post image urls eh?...not actual images? I'll have to host the parse...in a bit.