The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Porting to Houses from Wayshrines Should Behave like porting to The Harborage from a Wayshrine

Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
I took the time to travel to a wayshrine, yet upon arrival, I still have to "hard port" to my house, increasing the gold cost of my next "hard port." Please make it so that using a wayshrine to get to a player-owned house behaves the same as porting to any other wayshrine or the Harborage (I used that example in the title because it is also a "one-way" kind of wayshrine port that doesn't increase the cost of your next "hard port.")

(I'm not sure if there is another name or term to describe porting somewhere without using a wayshrine first, but "hard port" made sense to me, so that's what I went with lol)
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    porting to player houses (inside or outside) never costs gold from anywhere (thats why i have 68 houses :D )

porting from your house back to a wayshrine still costs gold (i usually just port from one of my houses to outside of a house near a wayshrine to bypass that cost, but may need an extra load screen unless its in same zone you were going)

thats why if your at a wayshrine and try to use a wayshrine to port to a house, it will instead do the "port" animation instead of just going to load screen
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the risk of seeing ZOS nerf this (I'm not sure why they would but, hey, maybe they're bored), you can port to your house from anywhere and it doesn't cost anything. It's porting *back* straight from your house that costs. And you can get round that by porting to a house *that you do not own* to preview it and heading straight out of the exit, at which point you will find yourself in whatever location you were at when you first went to your house.

So, for convenience, I tend to use a wayshrine to go to my house initially because the steps above will then bring me back to that wayshrine when I leave my house. And from there I can go anywhere.

Edit perhaps I'm not understanding. Every time you use a wayshrine to get to another wayshrine the cost of doing a port NOT from a wayshrine bumps up and over time cools down. At least, as far as I'm aware? Maybe you've just never noticed this before because you spend less time in your house than other places? Or maybe I've got that completely wrong!
    Edited by Northwold on February 19, 2022 10:59PM
  • Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    Perhaps I wasn't very clear in my initial statement, as I am well aware of how wayshrines work and that porting to a house costs nothing but an animation and a timer with a gold penalty for subsequent porting without using a wayshrine. I'll try and explain further by comparing it again to the example of porting to the Harborage. And as a disclaimer, I am merely suggesting a very, very minor quality of life improvement to the game, and not a rework of how wayshrines or porting in general works at a fundamental level.

The Harborage:
    Start at wayshrine -> Use wayshrine to go to harborage -> no celestial mapping animation, no 10-minute timer with gold penalty for subsequent ports without a wayshrine -> arrive at Harborage with no running fee timer, and minimum fee to port somewhere else without a wayshrine

Player Houses:
    Start at wayshrine -> Use wayshrine to go to house -> celestial mapping teleport animation begins, and upon completion imposes a 10-minute timer on the player with an increased fee for teleporting without a wayshrine -> arrive at house with timer counting down and increased fees for subsequent porting

What I have just tried to highlight are the current in-game differences between how the wayshrine/porting mechanics see the Harborage and Player-owned homes. My suggestion is to change the behavior of porting TO (not from) a player-owned house to behave the same as porting to the Harborage from a wayshrine. Nothing more. I do not want to change anything else about how houses and wayshrines work. Just this one, small quality of life improvement.

I understand that there are "workarounds" (if you want to call them that) such as porting to a house from a wayshrine anyway, then previewing another house and immediately leaving to get back to the wayshrine you started at (albeit after a handfull of loading screens) all to avoid a small penalty of gold. The existence of these kind of awkward "solutions" does not preclude (in my opinion) the suggestion of a more streamlined and intelligent way of doing things. After all, isn't that what an open forum for feedback and suggestions is for? If your solution to every problem is "just deal with it," then what are you doing on these forums?
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes sense. Didn't know that the Harbourage was an exception that doesn't behave like a normal wayshrine.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How often are you porting directly to a wayshrine from anywhere? Houses negate the penalty no matter how high it gets if you keep to the ones near a wayshrine like Flaming Nix Deluxe in Deshaan, Mara's Kiss Public house in Auridon is right next one, Serenity Falls Estate is my home base that is a few yards away from a wayshrine when I want to get away from guards.

And yeah I've racked up 5000g or higher penalties trying to get to out of the way Traders, but always used a house near a wayshrine rather than the wayshrine itself, it's just a couple extra loading screens. Although that may be a PC perk since if you got an NVMe SSD that really cuts down on loading screens by a very large margin than what consoles may experience.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I honestly have never ported to the Harborage. It’s close enough that I just ride there.

I would guess most other players do the same.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly have never ported to the Harborage. It’s close enough that I just ride there.

I would guess most other players do the same.

I've done it when I pick up that one undaunted daily to go to stonefalls and its the closest point to it. I think that's the only time I ever use it as a port from a wayshrine, the other two aren't anywhere near key locations.
    Whether or not someone ports to the Harborage has no bearing on this post, that is not the point. And saying "just use a house near a wayshrine" is also missing my point and has already been addressed in one of my previous comments (equating that argument to saying "just deal with it," which is not productive discourse on this topic).
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, I’m all for any QoL features that cut down unloading screens. Even if it just saves one loading screen, that’s one loading screen less to suffer through!
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the OP has a point here.

The harborage acts like a wayshrine, where porting to it from a wayshrine imposes no future penalty against a non wayshrine port.

So, you can jump from a wayshrine to the harborage, or to another wayshrine, and then immediately fast travel to anywhere else, and your gold cost for fast traveling is the minimum.

But, when you use a wayshrine to travel to a house, and then try to fast travel out of the house, your gold cost is maximum.

Honestly, they should just remove the gold cost of teleporting out of your house. It's pretty dumb to begin with, especially since you cannot add a wayshrine in your home to teleport from, so you are either forced to exit your home and ride to wayshrine, or eat a teleport cost.

But from a simpler start, there is no reason using a wayshrine to jump to a house shouldn't act the same as using a wayshrine to travel anywhere else. It is the only wayshrine to alternate location porting function that acts differently.

For that matter, please let me use the wayshrines to leave Cyrodil and directly port to my house. I am already at the wayshrine that exits Cyrodil, there is literally no way I could exploit anything with this. And, make the Imp City door act as a wayshrine when exiting...
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would actually be cool if they added the Remove from Instance function they added to dungeons for housing. Being able to select that and land back where you ported in from would be awesome.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Whether or not someone ports to the Harborage has no bearing on this post, that is not the point. And saying "just use a house near a wayshrine" is also missing my point and has already been addressed in one of my previous comments (equating that argument to saying "just deal with it," which is not productive discourse on this topic).

You referenced porting to the Harborage yourself in this thread. I mentioned that maybe people don’t know exactly how this works, I don’t.

So at this point I am unsure just what the point of this thread is. At first I thought the claim was that porting to a player house costs gold, which it never has for me.

Then I thought it was that porting makes the blue star constellation animation as I call it, not a direct loading screen as you said porting to the Harborage does.

Next it sounded like a complaint that leaving the house without a wayshrine costs gold.

Maybe some clarification is needed.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

You referenced porting to the Harborage yourself in this thread. I mentioned that maybe people don’t know exactly how this works, I don’t.

So at this point I am unsure just what the point of this thread is. At first I thought the claim was that porting to a player house costs gold, which it never has for me.

Then I thought it was that porting makes the blue star constellation animation as I call it, not a direct loading screen as you said porting to the Harborage does.

Next it sounded like a complaint that leaving the house without a wayshrine costs gold.

My apologies for any confusion. Here is the most simplified I can make my argument.

1. You can travel from a wayshrine to a wayshrine without imposing a time/gold penalty
    2. You can travel from a wayshrine to the Harborage without imposing a time/gold penalty
    3. You cannot travel from a wayshrine to a house without imposing a time/gold penalty

Make #3 behave like #1 and #2
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My apologies for any confusion. Here is the most simplified I can make my argument.

1. You can travel from a wayshrine to a wayshrine without imposing a time/gold penalty
    2. You can travel from a wayshrine to the Harborage without imposing a time/gold penalty
    3. You cannot travel from a wayshrine to a house without imposing a time/gold penalty

Make #3 behave like #1 and #2

Travelling from a wayshrine to a wayshrine DOES impose a gold penalty on future non wayshrine ports, which is i think why people are getting confused. (unless this has been changed at some point it's not something I've checked lately.)

But I agree with the general point that porting into from a wayshrine / out of to a wayshrine a house should just be plain free and without penalty because some of them are in very strange locations that either are not close to a wayshrine or involve battling creatures to get there. Even if you're high level, it's just plain annoying to have to fight to get out of your house.

Edit: I just checked and you're right that there is no penalty after wayshrine to wayshrine!
    Edited by Northwold on February 22, 2022 12:45PM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This penalty thing is confusing to me too the way you describe it.

If you just open your map and travel to a wayshrine, it costs gold.
    If you are in your house and open your map and travel to a wayshrine, it costs gold

Aren’t these gold values the same? I rarely use that method so I think it’s like 142 gold or something. Of course you do it again in a certain time period the cost goes up. I don’t think this has anything to do with houses, so maybe you are saying they should make an exception in this case.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• maximusrex45
    maximusrex45
    ✭✭✭✭

If you are in your house and open your map and travel to a wayshrine, it costs gold

Aren’t these gold values the same? I rarely use that method so I think it’s like 142 gold or something. Of course you do it again in a certain time period the cost goes up. I don’t think this has anything to do with houses, so maybe you are saying they should make an exception in this case.

He wants to have traveling TOhis house FROM a Wayshrine to be treated like traveling between Wayshrines or traveling from a Wayshrine to the Harborage.

Traveling to your house is free, but it still makes the gold cost of traveling to another Wayshrine go up.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Although I have a workaround for this, I'd be fine with your suggestion because its convenient. I think the Harborage is that way to aid new players who port to it direct after the prophet appears to you on your adventures to announce the next part. After that port, you may want to direct port for the minimum cost to your next objective.

I'm going to edit this point of yours for clarification:
    3. You cannot travel from a wayshrine to a house.

All travel to a house is via celestial warp, unless you go through the actual entrance. If you stand on a wayshrine and port to your house, you are not invoving the wayshrine in any way. This is why most housing has a nearby wayshrine, so you can run to it and not continue to tax yourself.

Fear is the Mindkiller
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

He wants to have traveling TOhis house FROM a Wayshrine to be treated like traveling between Wayshrines or traveling from a Wayshrine to the Harborage.

Traveling to your house is free, but it still makes the gold cost of traveling to another Wayshrine go up.

The price goes up from what? Zero?

Traveling to a wayshrine from anywhere on the map other than a wayshrine is not free. It does not matter whether you are in a house or not.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Traveling to a wayshrine from anywhere on the map other than a wayshrine is not free. It does not matter whether you are in a house or not.
    If you've been running around and using wayshrines normally, the cost to port from the map to a wayshrine is ~150 gold. After you do that, if you try to do it again, it costs ~1000 a number that decreases back to the ~150 on a 10 min timer. Porting to a home is free, but kicks off the 10 minute timer. Using a wayshrine normally to go to another wayshrine does not kick off the timer.

The OP wants the timer to not kick off if porting from a wayshrine to the home, so that their port out is ~150 not ~1000. There are a bunch of workarounds that cost 1 or 2 loading screens so that make everything free so a lot of people don't care, but it is a strange quirk that a no cost port kicks off the increased cost penalty.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If you've been running around and using wayshrines normally, the cost to port from the map to a wayshrine is ~150 gold. After you do that, if you try to do it again, it costs ~1000 a number that decreases back to the ~150 on a 10 min timer. Porting to a home is free, but kicks off the 10 minute timer. Using a wayshrine normally to go to another wayshrine does not kick off the timer.

The OP wants the timer to not kick off if porting from a wayshrine to the home, so that their port out is ~150 not ~1000. There are a bunch of workarounds that cost 1 or 2 loading screens so that make everything free so a lot of people don't care, but it is a strange quirk that a no cost port kicks off the increased cost penalty.

Thanks for an explanation that I can understand.

I don’t like to waste gold porting on the map except in extreme circumstances, so I have never gone to those lengths before. I usually only do it if I get stuck somewhere.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA