The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The cost that crafters must pay to make outfits

goatlyonesub17_ESO
goatlyonesub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭
A lot of you players who ask me (and other crafters) to create for you a special set of armor, weapons, and jewelry, probably have no idea of the size of the boon you are asking for. To address such potential ignorance, I have prepared this lesson. Please attend closely.

PRICES, checked at Belkarth Market on 17 Feb 2022
(Typical prices after the crazies have been weeded out.)

Rubedite Ingot: 10
Honing Stone: 10
Dwarven Oil: 20
Grain Solvent: 400
Tempering Alloy: 10000

Rubedo Leather: 10
Ancestor Silk: 36
Hemming: 10
Embroidery: 15
Elegant Lining: 160
Dreugh Wax: 20000

Ruby Ash: 10
Pitch: 250
Turpen: 25
Mastic: 1400
Rosin: 3500

Platinum Ingot: 40
Terne Plating: 1000
Iridium Plating: 14000
Zircon Plating: 80000
Chromium Plating (jewelry): 300,000 each

Heavy Armor (7 pieces)
Cost of Rubedite for CP160 (940 ingots): 9400
Cost of improvement white to green: 140
Cost of improvement green to blue: 420
Cost of improvement blue to purple: 11200
Cost of improvement purple to gold: 560,000
Total cost of heavy armor: 581,160

Medium Armor (7 pieces)
Cost of Rubedo Leather for CP160: 9400
Cost of improvement green to blue: 315
Cost of improvement blue to purple: 4480
Cost of improvement purple to gold: 1,120,000
Total cost of medium armor: 1,134,335

Light Armor (7 pieces)
Cost of Ancestor Silk for CP160: 33840
Cost of improvement green to blue: 315
Cost of improvement blue to purple: 4480
Cost of improvement purple to gold: 1,120,000
Total cost of medium armor: 1,158,775

Jewelry (3 pieces):
Cost of Platinum Ounces for CP160 (350 ounces): 14000
Cost of improvement from white to green: 3000
Cost of improvement from green to blue: 84000
Cost of improvement from blue to purple: 720,000
Cost of improvement from purple to gold: 3,600,000
Total cost for Jewelry Set: 4,421,000

Weapons

Cost of Rubedite for two 1h melee weapons (CP160): 2200
Cost of improvement from white to gold: 163,360
Total cost for two 1h weapons: 165560

Cost of Rubedite for one 2h melee weapon (CP160): 1400
Cost of improvement from white to gold: 81680
Total cost for one 2h weapon: 83080

Cost of Ruby Ash for bow CP160: 1200
Cost of improvement from white to gold: 34175
Total cost for one bow: 35375

GRAND TOTALS (jewelry set and bow included)
1h weapons + heavy armor: 5,203,095 gold
1h weapons + medium armor: 5,756,270 gold
1h weapons + light armor: 5,780,710 gold
2h weapon + heavy armor: 5,120,015 gold
2h weapon + medium armor: 5,673,190 gold
2h weapon + light armor: 5,697,630 gold
"Argonians have fat, scaly tails." —Rissa Manyclaws.
"Once upon a time there were three sisters: Delicious, Delightful, and Disgusting. Now, Delicious and Delightful were both very pretty girls..." —Brendalyn Jurarde.
"I smell to the nobility." —Indrasa Avani.
"A bargain with an animal is not a contract made." —Haderus Atrimus.
"Redguard makeup for sale. Free samples. Secret ingredients. Unique application method. Lots of satisfied customers." —The Mudball Goblin (aka, Cognac Vinecroft)
"Your armor looks like underwear." —Shuns-the-Knife.
  • goatlyonesub17_ESO
    goatlyonesub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now, to be sure, mats can be harvested from the wild. But here we are talking about the crafter's time.

To take what may be the most egregious example, it takes about 60 hours of hard work to gather 30,000 platinum dusts, and that's in an area generously endowed with ore nodes and assuming that you have little or no serious competition there.

Of those 30,000 platinum dusts, once you have them, you'll get 150 to 200 chromium grains, depending on your luck. Let's say you get 160 chromium grains. You refine them to get 16 chromium platings. That's enough to improve FOUR pieces of jewelry from purple to gold. ONLY FOUR.

Your crafter, if he harvests the mats he uses for just that one task — improving your three jewelry items from purple to gold — had to work for you for 45 hours. That is equivalent to a week's labor with five hours of overtime.
    Edited by goatlyonesub17_ESO on February 18, 2022 2:05AM
    "Once upon a time there were three sisters: Delicious, Delightful, and Disgusting. Now, Delicious and Delightful were both very pretty girls..." —Brendalyn Jurarde.
    "Redguard makeup for sale. Free samples. Secret ingredients. Unique application method. Lots of satisfied customers." —The Mudball Goblin (aka, Cognac Vinecroft)
  • goatlyonesub17_ESO
    goatlyonesub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Notice that I've left out the costs of enchanting and the costs of trait and style mats. A rough correction can be made by multiplying the average market price of 1 KUTA runestone, multiplying by 12, and adding that to the grand totals in the original post. The costs of the other materials are relatively trivial.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the rare occasions when I crafted for others, they provided the mats. I just needed to craft them from the appropriate set, style, and trait.
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    I havent bothered to craft for hire for years now its not worth the drama, if i come across a new player who has a good attitude and ive got a bit of time ill fix him up for free the whole shebang no probs!
  • OmniaRR
    OmniaRR
    This is good to know and I always ask for the mats if it is CP160 but my time is for free when the people are nice ;)

Otherwise I'm using Tinydog's Crafting Calculater, great addon.
    ...older player so please speak slowly... ;-) - Guild ...still searching ^^
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the rare occasions when I crafted for others, they provided the mats. I just needed to craft them from the appropriate set, style, and trait.

this is how ive usually done it, i dont mind helping guildies or friends and most are nice to help supply mats or at least tip a little (sometimes both)

in most cases they just need the set item crafted and can do upgrades and enchanting themselves but dont have the right/all traits researched yet to do what they want to do
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just don't craft for people unless they have mats?

And what server are you on that it costs 1.1 mil to create a medium 7 piece in gold??

That costs me like less than 300k...
    Edited by Brrrofski on February 18, 2022 4:48PM
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never asked anyone to craft anything for me. Hell its easier to farm and do it yourself.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I craft for myself, using mats I’ve gathered over the years. If someone asked me to do it for them, I probably would, but only if they provided the mats. And I never bother with golding anything except my weapons. Jewelry? No way…I rarely even make purple jewelry — ridiculously expensive.
  • goatlyonesub17_ESO
    goatlyonesub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »

And what server are you on that it costs 1.1 mil to create a medium 7 piece in gold??

EU server. The price checking for the mats was done in the market just west of Belkarth, in Craglorn. All of the prices are in the original post. Feel free to check them yourself. Notice that the bulk of the cost for a complete gold set is in crafting the jewelry. Jewelry gold improvement mats are expensive because it takes a long time to get the necessary chomium platings.

You need 12 platings to improve three jewelry items to legendary. To get 12 platings, you need 120 chromium grains. To get 120 chromium grains, you must harvest (about) 20000 platinum dusts

On the average, if you mine every ore node you see, about 37% of your ore will be platinum dusts and the other 63% will be rubedite ores. If you have the harvester buff in CP/CRAFT, you'll average about 5 ores/dusts per swing of the pickaxe. To get 20000 platinum dusts, you'll have to harvest about 11000 ore nodes.

Let's say that you mine those 11000 ore nodes at the rate of one each 10 seconds. There will be times when you harvest faster than that, but there will also be times when you get distracted, or get up to visit the restroom, or decide to loot a treasure chest, or whatever. At that average rate, it'll be about 31 hours before you have enough platinum dust to refine to get the chromium grains to refine to get the chromium platings you need for three jewelry pieces improved to gold.

You'll notice that this time estimate differs with what I calculated earlier, 31 hours instead of 45 hours. That's because I figured it a different way and just guessed about the average time between ore node harvests. You can see that either figure is in about the right ballpark for the time required.
    Edited by goatlyonesub17_ESO on February 18, 2022 10:58PM
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

EU server. The price checking for the mats was done in the market just west of Belkarth, in Craglorn. All of the prices are in the original post. Feel free to check them yourself. Notice that the bulk of the cost for a complete gold set is in crafting the jewelry. Jewelry gold improvement mats are expensive because it takes a long time to get the necessary chomium platings.

You need 12 platings to improve three jewelry items to legendary. To get 12 platings, you need 120 chromium grains. To get 120 chromium grains, you must harvest (about) 20000 platinum dusts

On the average, if you mine every ore node you see, about 37% of your ore will be platinum dusts and the other 63% will be rubedite ores. If you have the harvester buff in CP/CRAFT, you'll average about 5 ores/dusts per swing of the pickaxe. To get 20000 platinum dusts, you'll have to harvest about 11000 ore nodes.

Let's say that you mine those 11000 ore nodes at the rate of one each 10 seconds. There will be times when you harvest faster than that, but there will also be times when you get distracted, or get up to visit the restroom, or decide to loot a treasure chest, or whatever. At that average rate, it'll be about 31 hours before you have enough platinum dust to refine to get the chromium grains to refine to get the chromium platings you need for three jewelry pieces improved to gold.

You'll notice that this time estimate differs with what I calculated earlier, 31 hours instead of 45 hours. That's because I figured it a different way and just guessed about the average time between ore node harvests. You can see that either figure is in about the right ballpark for the time required.

Yeh, I understand how to get mats lol.

I just can't believe how expensive it is for you.

Turning a purple 3 piece jewellery to gold costs like 1.1 mil on both Xbox servers. A quarter of what you're saying it costs you
  • goatlyonesub17_ESO
    goatlyonesub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    BTW, at current prices for mats, you earn about 500 gold per minute while intensively harvesting ore in an area good for ore mining. While that isn't as good as fighting big mobs of imperials to loot their gold, it isn't bad either.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeh, I understand how to get mats lol.

I just can't believe how expensive it is for you.

Turning a purple 3 piece jewellery to gold costs like 1.1 mil on both Xbox servers. A quarter of what you're saying it costs you

I think it depends partially on where you look/how you estimate the price. I'm not sure about other servers but on PC EU I've consistently found Belkarth to be one of the most expensive areas to buy things. I no longer bother to go there because even if TTC says something is available for a reasonable price I know it will be gone by the time I load into the map and what is available will cost about 3x what it would be anywhere else.

But I also agree with all the other people in this thread: if I'm crafting something for someone else they provide the materials. How they get them and what they pay is then entirely up to them and not something I ever have to worry about. Occasionally I'll provide a rare material like nirncrux or a style material, and then we'll agree a price for the one thing. (Although these days many people don't care about the style because they're using outfits or costumes or whatever.)

The one exception is if I've volunteered to make something for a new player, then I'll provide the materials because I'm the one who decided to craft it and it would be unreasonable to make them cover the cost. But that's all low level materials which I have thousands of anyway.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pretty much gave up crafting sets.

You take the newbies farming the dungeons they need to get a few complete sets and get them to learn one trait they need for each piece off a random bit iof iron gear.

Gear then costs 25 crystals to re-create and 25 back when you destruct them. So blue gear is basically free when levelling now. You don't even repair any more you just deconstruct and reconstruct your blue levelling gear and carry on. For the most part crafting gear is dead. It's a waste of everyone's time.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • goatlyonesub17_ESO
    goatlyonesub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because someone said that Belkarth is an especially expensive place to buy crafting mats, I went to Mournhold and repeated my cost analysis.

All improved to gold...
    Cost of 7pc Heavy Armor 607655
    Cost of 7pc Medium Armor 1248425
    Cost of 7pc Light Armor 1270045
    Cost of Bow 86665
    Cost of 3pc Jewelry 4433500
    Cost of Glyphs 65000
    Cost of 2 one-hand weapons 173130
    Cost of 1 two-hand weapon 86865

Total Cost of Outfit including jewelry, bow, enchants
    heavy 1-hand 5365950
    heavy 2-hand 5279685
    medium 1-hand 6006720
    medium 2-hand 5920455
    light 1-hand 6028340
    light 2-hand 5942075

The Jewelry represents about 3/4 of the cost of the entire outfit.
    Edited by goatlyonesub17_ESO on February 21, 2022 6:02PM