The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

How to counter? spin to win

OWLTHEMAD
OWLTHEMAD
✭✭✭✭
Yesterday. Played battle grounds in a group of three

Before anybody says as much its our fault queueing together without building for team dynamic. I get that.

That being said, my group encountered a whole team of identical nightblades all running presumeably the same settup.

Their strat. Come out of cloak into whirling blades usually multiples at a time.

They absolutely dominated.

As a nightblade who relies on cloak my self i have no clue how to counter that. Once im hit their is no escape. Usually got about three seconds after that.

They barely used anything else just whirling blades.

How would you counter that? I cant figure it out and the execute scaling was just too punishing when four of them were doing it at a time
  • joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a source of major evasion.
    Options
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Block and Major Evasion.

If you try and dodge it you're dead. Same reason I use Engulfing Flames in PvP because of the fact it hits people who are cloaked and dodge rolling.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
    Options
  • OWLTHEMAD
    OWLTHEMAD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, i forgot you cant roll dodge that seems kinda busted if you think about it but i guess you gotta counter infinidodge some way.

Still i do already have major evasion and was blocking. Couldnt beat the execute :/

One was tough, two was impossible.

Im only just retutning to pvp after having come back from a almost 2 year hiatus about a month ago and it through me off.

The other team was coordinated too but getting mowed down by whirling blades just felt kinda cheap. Once they were on top of you without being able to roll dodge there was just no pressing an offense; a point that is more to the spirit of the question i suppose

Not how to defend against it but how to COUNTER it.

The other team was coordinated as well (at least more so than my own) and they were equally decimated.
    Options
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OWLTHEMAD wrote: »
    As a nightblade who relies on cloak my self i have no clue how to counter that. Once im hit their is no escape. Usually got about three seconds after that.

How would you counter that? I cant figure it out and the execute scaling was just too punishing when four of them were doing it at a time

Use your shade to teleport away, and generally try to stay out of range of it. Also, use major evasion for mitigating aoe damage, and build into extra healing or health regen when your health drops. Having said that it sounds like it was a premade group which is always tough to keep up with if you are PUGing.
    Options
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're coming back after 2 years, make sure you're building tougher. Damage has gone way up generally.
    PC NA
    Options
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds more like your looking for a counter to a pre made group. Build to be a tank.
    Options
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, if you have 3 NBs on you in a BG you're dead no matter what skill they use. Sure, you might dodge a skill, but they'll hit you with the next one.

Major evasion and block cast a heal is your best bet.
    Options
  • Sun7dance
    Sun7dance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's really hard to counter.
    There was a time you could still dodge the damage glyphs, while your opponent do his spin to win and so you could dodge steeltornado every few seconds too.

Today you can only block and slot major evasion and that is no solution, sorry!
    It simply cannot be the case that a 360° direct aoe spam attack does as much damage to single targets as to multiple ones.
    For this reason it is far too easy to play.

Btw spin to win builds are the only way for redguards not to be completely useless.

Edited by Sun7dance on February 15, 2022 9:32AM
    PS5|EU
    Options
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't be able to counter 4 players as one guy. Anything you could possibly do to counter them would only buy you time. Best bet would be to just stay away from team mates(so you don't get caught in the aoe) and pick them off from a distance. If you got no ranged attack then stealth over to an enemy spawn and just start spawn killing squishies. Can't beat you if you deprive them of kills and never fight them.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
    Options
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Slot flare, throw it down, never get attacked again from stealth
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
    Options
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's ironic that there are fewer counters to spin to win aoe execute than the nightblade's single target execute. It's why nightblades use it.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw several good points in what I read. One thing to consider is running one of the multiple skills to pull someone out of cloak. There are active ans passive skills that will do this.
    Options
  • OWLTHEMAD
    OWLTHEMAD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    It's ironic that there are fewer counters to spin to win aoe execute than the nightblade's single target execute. It's why nightblades use it.

I try not to [snip] and moan about skills and balance in this game. But i gotta wonder who thought an aoe execute was a good idea

[Edit for profanity.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on February 16, 2022 1:20AM
    Options
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭
    Of course 3 players should be stronger than one player. You shouldnt be able to kill them easily as a solo player but at least you should have a chance to escape them. A few years ago I was able to roll back to maingate or to my battleground group when i got attacked by enemy group near them. Nowadays I get killed as fast with roll dodging than without because everyone is spamming whirling blade, jabs and other AOEs and single target damage skills are also hitting while dodging although they shouldnt. Roll Dodge is only wasting my stamina and preventing me from casting heal(because thanks to lag the healing skills i dodge cancel arent used).
    And the Player that startet the threat didnt said he was fighting the nightblades alone. Whirlwind is an AOE skill so they can also kill a whole group with spamming it. And because they are nightblades they can attack gank only solo players and dont come out of stealth if they see a group that has any chance against them.
    Options
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dojohoda wrote: »

I try not to [snip] and moan about skills and balance in this game. But i gotta wonder who thought an aoe execute was a good idea

[Edit for profanity.]

It sounds like what's killing you is group coordination, not Whirlwind. I use whirlwind on my stamsorc—it's strong in the right moment, but not an "i win" button.

Using whirlwind when the enemy is above 50% health wastes a lot of stamina and does little damage.

As an individual, you can't do much to counter 3 players using a high-damage burst build. Having 26k-30k health and using damage shields will help you survive, as well as saving an AoE stun to slow them down—but then what? If you survive their initial assault, how do you fight them unless your groupmates are playing really well and all focusing the same player down 1-by-1?

An equally-coordinated group that is tanky, has a healer, and can coordinate ult/set drops could give them a run for their money or just wear out their stamina.

As an individual, I could only recommend waiting for them to jump on your teammate, and then trying to flip the battle. Drop your stun/ult, heal your allies, and focus on control. That would likely cut into your 1v1 potential ... because group builds counter groups.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
    Options
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, a coordinated group doing that is probably the main problem. Spin to win is nasty when your main defense is damage avoidance. I get executed by it on my magblade occasionally. I say occasionally, because not that many people run it in open world. Judicious use of Shadow Image would seem the obvious answer, or Temporal Guard. I also have to say that my magblade feels tankier than my stamblade, since being able to switch from resto to a 1H+S back bar, this patch. Shrewd / Healthy Offering spam, while blocking, is pretty strong, better than Vigor + unreliable Rally on my stamblade that does not have 1H+S. Offering may also work on a stamblade, next patch.

I play with very high speed and without Shadow Image, making me vulnerable to this. I use Zoal, though. That set has a habit of stopping ganks dead and stuns everyone around you. Might help a little. I'm also experimenting with Vateshran DW on my stamblade. That means I don't necessarily have to stay close for my own attacks.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    Options
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just throwing this out there because I haven't seen it, but should be noted.

Whirling Blades is extremely costly and not nearly as potent as single target executes. WIth it being effected by evasion, the most you'll ever see it do is 6-7k in no cp and thats if it crits. Maybe slightly more with Major Vulnerability or Incap, on average it will do 4-5k damage when someones at 20% hp.

On the flip side, Executioner, Killers Blade, Impale, Mages Wrath and Radiant Destruction regularly hit for 8-12k at 20%. They have much higher scaling and lower cost, but they're single target and therefore can be dodged. (Radiant Destruction is 8-12k every 2 ticks).

The reason people usually prefer Whirling Blades, at least right now, is because it's more friendly to an unstable connection and more reliable since it can't be dodged. When I use to use Executioner regularly about 1-2 years ago, I was able to secure kills much more frequently because it was doing 9k+, but when the performance of PVP degraded around Harrowstorms update, I couldn't stand the abilitty anymore.

Trying to execute someone at 5-10k hp who is roll dodging and line of sighting around a pebble while being forced to hit them in a 5m range will give you a brain aneurysm. Hit detection would frequently get messed up, even though it's an instant skill, my character would show the animation fire for about 200mileseconds only to cancel because the player was apparently out of range which makes no sense if it's suppose to be instant.

Now I only have a lot of experience with Executioner, but look at the other skills. Killers Blade would have the same issue. Impale and Mages Wrath have insanely long travel times and only really kill players who are unaware they're being fired on, it's fairly easy to predict and dodge those skills when you're low health. The only great single target execute left is Radiant Destruction and thats because it's busted strong as a channeled beam for fast ticks at 28m range with an insane multiplier of 500%. It's leagues ahead of Whirling Blades, but it's a different playstyle.

You can and should 100% be able to survive 1 NB ganking you with Whirling Blades, but 3, anyway you spin it, you're most likely dead. As others stated, this is not a question of balance regarding Whirling Blades, but more so to do with a coordinated group of competent NBs abusing players that don't know how to shut them out. All it would take is for 1 person to cast Lingering Flare every 10s. If even 2 people of the 8 between your 2 groups cast that, they'd be completely useless if they were relying on stealth to wombo combo you guys.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on March 7, 2022 2:33PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
    Options
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whirling blades you should be able to counter with a bash. All channeling abilities should be able to bash.
    Options
  • VarisVaris
    VarisVaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whirling blades you should be able to counter with a bash. All channeling abilities should be able to bash.

Whirling blades isn't a channeled skill.
    Options
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VarisVaris wrote: »

It should be considering how long the ability last and that is part of the problem IMO. It should have a 2 second channeling time allowing players to counter that spinning more.
    Options
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It should be considering how long the ability last and that is part of the problem IMO. It should have a 2 second channeling time allowing players to counter that spinning more.

Imo it should last 5 seconds, and you gain 50 percent movespeed. It hits 2 x per second (damage is halved from current value)

Beyyyyyyblaaaaades
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
    Options
  • VarisVaris
    VarisVaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What?
    Whirling blades is an instant cast ability that deals damage exactly once.

An execute is ment to kill players that made mistakes either by killing them due to high damage if they don't avoid them like killer's blade or executioner or they should finish people off who let their health drop too much with less damage but fewer Counterplay options which is the case for Jesus beam or whirling blades.

Options
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sun7dance wrote: »
    It's really hard to counter.

Today you can only block and slot major evasion and that is no solution, sorry!

Block is the most % damage mitigation in the game.

Major evasion is easy to get, another 20%. Plus you have two 10% CP reductions that apply if you choose to slot.

Spin2Win is not what is killing you. It is the coordinated group blasting players down to execute range, then everyone swaps to pulsar and whirling blades. Vicious Death and Plaguebreak does the rest.

Options
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best option is to block cast a burst heal, then shield without dropping block to soak up that damage
    I presume you have minor & major resolve up yes?

1 - slot Revealing flare for major protection
    2 - slot Radiant Magelight to prevent the stun from stealth
    3 - slot the psijic ulti for minor protection (also gives an extra 5K shield when blocking)
    4 - slot something on your backbar that ups your resistance when you swap to backbar
    5 - use the psijic ulti to get out of the area
    6 - one player with woodelf/sentry/way of the air really goes a long way to spotting the ambush way before it can trigger.
    Edited by marius_buys on March 9, 2022 4:01PM
    Options
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave spin to win alone.
    Options
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave spin to win alone.

Yup, its so OP im going dualwield as a mag toon in u33
    Options
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay out of the battleground premade queue unless your group of 4 has coordinated builds and voice comms. You will get murdered by any decent group. Spin to win is really not the issue here, but it is certainly a bit overtuned.

That said, its not an automatic I win button. If they were really dominating you, either they were actually doing a lot more than whirling blades, or there was some serious L2P issues with the other 8 (or 7) players in the match.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on March 9, 2022 7:06PM
    Options
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday. Played battle grounds in a group of three

Before anybody says as much its our fault queueing together without building for team dynamic. I get that.

That being said, my group encountered a whole team of identical nightblades all running presumeably the same settup.

Their strat. Come out of cloak into whirling blades usually multiples at a time.

They absolutely dominated.

Just move your computer chair away from your desk, spin in it in the opposite direction of whirlwind until you pass out, then you won't have to worrying about getting spun and won upon any longer, EZ. :)
    Edited by Akinos on March 9, 2022 10:28PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
    Options