The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magdk skills

Larcomar
Larcomar
✭✭✭✭✭
Was playing around with my magdk again last night. Needed a break from the templar :) Are people generally going flame lash or molten whip nowadays? Can't quite make up my mind. The reduced cost, extra damage and heal's nice, but so is the burst. They both seem pretty good.

And how are people finding engulfing flames right now? Coming back to him from temp I was struck by how hard it seemed to get this to land on people compared to say jabs. May have just been the lag - there was some - but half the time I feel like I'm connecting with air. The 10% bonus is tough to giveup but if it's not hitting... Like I say may have just been a bad night, but seriously thinking of saying sod it and running talons + FOO. At least its gonna hit.

Cheers

Larc

• xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see more people running flame lash than molten whip. I honestly see more stam DKs than Mag DK using molten whip. But I think both are good and it depends on what you build probably needs more and if you're able to juggle your heals or damage without having the other morph's effects. I've played around with both and had success with both, so I say it varies depending on what your build needs more of.

Also engulfing flames is definitely hard to use, the targeting on it is quite awful. It's not lag, it's just the conal area is so small, there are times where I can visually see people in the fire but they take no effect. Lag or not, it's just the aoe is so terrible. I still keep it because the buff is so great, especially paired with destro staff's weakness to elements
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Molten Whip hits like a truck but is better used with the whole suite (Burning Embers, Engulfing Flames, and Flames of Oblivion), while Flame Lash is really good when used with Talons or Fossilize.

When going Molten Whip you'll need a little bit more healing to make up for the lack of Power Lash, and as a result you'll see builds using it slot Shattering Rocks over Fossilize for the heal over the immobilization. Thankfully due to the buff Molten Whip recieved the timer is now 10 seconds on the Seething Fury charges over 5 seconds. If you time it right with a Flames of Oblivion proc with 3 stacks of Seething Fury Molten Whip, and the target is effected by Engulfing Flames, you'll turn that target into ash quickly.

Molten Whip is basically your burst DPS combo with Flame Lash being your easier to sustain combo that helps keep you alive in a fight. Both have their uses and it's up to personal playstyle.

I'm personally going with the Molten Whip style but sometimes I'll change out Molten Whip for Blood for Blood depending on my vampire stage and my mood for the day. 3 Stacks of Seething Fury makes Molten Whip hit harder than Ferocious Leap so it's not to be underestimated.
    Edited by Vevvev on February 13, 2022 5:39PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah they're both good. I think Ill probably mix and match a bit but given I tend to run talons and obv fossilise, prob lean towards flame lash. Do you know what the rules on setting players off balance are now though? Sites only talk bosses, and some say its 7 seconds off balance followed by 15 seconds immunity, some 22 seconds. Or maybe they mean its a 22 second cycle... And does it work the same for players? I'm guessing in a fight, that means you can get power lash proccing 1/3 of the time?

Playing around with FOO last night, was finding it surprisingly good. Cheap, hit's pretty hard - interestingly I think it's buffed by master at arms and deadly aim rather than biting aura so gells well with whip - 15m radius and hits three targets now. Plus gives you major prophecy. And ofc its spammable. Worked wonders clearing guards at resources. Losing the 10% bonus damage wd be a bitter pill, but pound for pound I honestly wonder if it's a better bet - similar, maybe even more damage, more reliable, cheaper cost... Flames is defn janky. Needs a fix.
    Edited by Larcomar on February 14, 2022 11:01AM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the rules but I do know Bosses have different rules and the only way to proc off balance on them is with a lightning staff using wall of elements. There was once a CP star that could do it but it's gone as far as I know. Flame Lash did get a slight buff with the removal of the internal cooldown you've probably already figured out. As long as they're off balance you can smack them with a Power Lash.

Without a lightning staff back bar or ally with one Flame Lash is mostly for players and stunnable/immobilizable NPCs.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • soniku4ikblis
    soniku4ikblis
    ✭✭✭
    Next patch, I'll stamwhip. Until then, lol.
    __._-*._._._.-*'"{Sonic Euphoric Bliss}"'*-._._._.*-_.__