The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magplar weps

Larcomar
Larcomar
✭✭✭✭✭
Rolling up a new magplar to play around with given they're pretty darn good this patch. This one's red so I can finally play him in CP. Ive seen the other thread on sets - lot's of good suggestions there - but what *type* of weapon are most of you running for FB? - Inferno, shock, 2h, dw... And why? Traditionally I guess you'd have run a shock staff to boost jabs, and then now LAs etc scale, maybe nirn/sharpened DW for the slightly better stats across the board. Looking at content sites tho, I'm struck that they all use something different, and in some case say your choice... What's your preference.

For bonus points, snb or resto on the bb? Yeah, yeah I know rapids is OP. But it always buggers off and heals someone else. Vs the guaranteed block mitigation from a snb... Figuring Ill probably end up running vigor next patch, but in the meantime what do peopel prefer...?

• And0ssus
    And0ssus
    ✭✭✭
    Personally i run DW (double maces Nirn/Sharpend) + restro.
    You can run radiating Regen - longer Uptime + higher Chance to hit yourself and the heal isn't that much worse.
    Simlpe reason for healing staff: another hot + acces to major mending.
    Why DW instead of Lightning for open world? The difference in dmg isn't that much different (for jabbs/ult), the higher spell dmg buffs everything else as well (purifying, hots, etc) and you have a weapon for stam restore which allows you to run immo potions instead of tri stat, or makes it eazier for stam sustain since dw heavy attacks are pretty fluid and you can Dodge/Block more without woring to much about stamina since you just can do a quick Heavy.
    Edited by And0ssus on February 8, 2022 12:48PM
  • NerfSeige
    NerfSeige
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mace/mace, nirn + charged. Shock + disease for enchants
    Avid reader of wes’-pts-diary[RIP]

NerfAS and Shill ruins everything

Skinny-meta-fake, graded D, and can’t explain the law of diminishing marginal returns.

I won’t post that Wes, I’ll get [snipped] for the last time

Revert this patch - Audens, 2022
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I figured that was probably the answer. *** hum, more skill lines to level up. Back to alikkr.....

cheers

larc
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shock staff + SnB.

(A) Need a weapon that can restore magicka via heavy attack. Out of the 4 possibilities, I find the channeled weapons play better. It's easier to connect a channeled heavy attack with a target, whereas fire / frost attacks may miss. Channeled attacks keep NBs out of cloak, for example.

(B) Need a defensive weapon on the other bar. Couple of reasons for SnB:

(B1) It feels like the tankiest option. Block-casting Honor the Dead and Extended Ritual is one of the ways to get out of trouble.

(B2) As compared to a frost staff: The greater movement speed while blocking.

(B3) The ultimate. IMO far superior to the resto ult. For example when you see a sorc turn on Overload or you hear a nightblade's bow proc, you pop Spell Wall and go on the attack.

(B4) If you're using Magelight on the front bar, a magicka enchant on the shield balances out your magicka, which is nice to have.

I used to play resto staff in the past. Having ongoing healing from Regeneration is definitely good so you don't end up in a situation where you are forced to block-cast Honor the Dead. I still see people running this and it's totally valid. In that case I would probably go with a DW front bar for the most damage (Nirn + Sharpened maces), especially for the most proc set damage (tends to be a significant spell damage increase over destro). However, let's face it, you're probably just running Deadly Strike on the front bar, right? With the templar bubble as well as buffing the crap out of Sweeps over light attacks, e.g. shock staff + Deadly Strike, I feel I have enough healing these days.

Frost staff IMO has no reason to exist. The reason should be that you can fire something like Degeneration plus a light attack from range, activating your back bar enchant as you move in on your target and bar swap to your offensive bar. Unfortunately this only works from around a 12m distance, because frost staff projectiles are slow. If you are further away, they only land after you have bar swapped and do not activate the back bar enchant.
    Edited by fred4 on February 9, 2022 4:44PM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And0ssus wrote: »
    And you have a weapon for stam restore which allows you to run immo potions instead of tri stat, or makes it eazier for stam sustain since dw heavy attacks are pretty fluid and you can Dodge/Block more without woring to much about stamina since you just can do a quick Heavy.
    I agree with this. DW heavy attacks are the fastest and they fit into your rotation on the front bar. The two weapon setups I would personally consider are Lightning / SnB, which is what I'm running, or DW / resto, like you. I suppose this also clarifies why one would not run 2H. The heavy attacks are much slower. Next patch of course Rally will give Major Sorcery, so there's that.

I have tried to rely on SnB heavy attacks for stamina sustain in the past. That has not worked for me. It's the back bar weapon. Targets are frequently out of range when I'm on my back bar. They're much more likely to be in range when you're on your front bar. It's pretty desperate when you really need the stamina, but can't connect the attack. IMO you shouldn't do heavy attacks on demand, but weave them into your rotation before your stamina ever gets low.

That said, my solution is brute force. I use Restoring Focus. Like I've said many times, using a stamina restore skill is much better than having stamina regen, because you get stamina even while blocking or sprinting. Yes, you take an indirect hit to your damage. That's just my playstyle, though. I love stamina sustain. I don't build my templar tanky anymore, but I have tons of stam sustain. In fact I use Wretched Vitality on the back bar and I use Zoal for good measure. Light armor. It makes for a sound defensive setup without being tanky. However, in case you're playing in no-CP Cyro, check out Gaze of Sithis. It has been said to acquire a special property in that campaign.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, an alternate view. Less dolmens is good at this point :) That's what I've got him set up on at the moment - shock fb and snb. Tbh tho I levelled that combo first simply to get quick RNDs (I refuse to fake tank :) ) and so he's got enough dps to run the vets for the undaunted. Before they change all that around.

I'm actually running war maiden on the fb at the moment though. Ive got deadly on my other temp but found, post nerf, war maiden buffed sweeps quite a bit more, as well (I assume) as buffing charge, purifying light, radiant etc I assume deadly would only do sweeps and radiant. Does it buff the bubble as well though? I may be misunderstanding. I'm not sure what buffs living dark actually.

I'll prob keep levelling the other weapons lines up but try him out a few nights shock/snb; maybe switch deadly over and see how that goes. He needs to get alliance rank up anyway - I'd forgotten how much difference those passives make - and I could use a break from levelling stuff up anyway :) Plus as you say snb ulti is nice. I just wish it was a couple of second smore.

Cheers

larc.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I simply have not tried War Maiden. Maybe I should give it a go.

And just to explicitly state it: Spell Wall is nice, because it reflects Overload back in the sorcs face. Do it at the right time and that's how you burst them down. Also goes for Merciless, Snipe, ...
    Edited by fred4 on February 9, 2022 12:02PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've put my build into UESP with Deadly Strike and War Maiden:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=422100
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=422103

Deadly is slightly ahead for Sweeps and Living Dark. War Maiden comes out quite a bit ahead for Toppling Charge, Purifying Light and the direct damage portion of Crescent Sweep. I wouldn't read anything into the back bar. I don't think UESP handles that properly on the summary display. Deadly is very slightly stronger on the back bar on account of 1x Weapon Damage beating 1x Magicka bonus.

I don't think it's worth investing in Deadly for you. If your overall spell damage is lower than mine, War Maiden may even edge it out. In any case, it comes down to how you rate the importance of Sweeps and Living Dark against the other skills. It's basically a wash.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for doing that! I think, you're right on the spell dmg - you're rocking quite a bit there, so the 15% is going to come out more. I think I was testing it with pariah when war maiden came out better but I'll move the deadly over from templar 1 quickly this pm and double check I had it right. It just goes to show that, in this game, all things are never equal. In terms of overall, I need to check cm but I'd guess purifying light is going to account for a big chunk of his damage now the way its been buffed, so yeah WM might still be the better bet.

Living dark is a question tho. Looking at uesp "These effects can occur once every half second and scale off your Spell Damage or Max Health, whichever results in a stronger heal." Warmaiden obviously isn't gonna buff it - magic damage only - but I wonder if deadly helps it. Only a 6% difference tho - may just be the extra line of spell damage. Ive got it on the back bar at the mo - powered sword - but most builds fb it and I wouldn't mind trying that. I need to play round with the skills a bit more anyway. I did have radiant on the fb but thinking I may dump it.

• fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I front bar Living Dark, because it's only 6 seconds and you need to keep it up. Radiant is good, especially in groups. 1v1 getting a decent player into execute range and them not LoSing Radiant can be a problem, so I prefer just keeping the pressure up. The swap is basically Purifying Light versus Radiant for me. You could get rid of Degeneration, use a Spell Power (/ Detection / Magicka) potion and put either Toppling or Purifying on the back bar. Right now I'm going for potion flexibility.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    UESP seems bugged, btw. Even when you just go and edit the build, the figures change a little. The gist of it is still the same, though.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Next update I'm looking at 2h and resto due to the changes to Momentum where it adds major sorcery. So on the 2h bar I would run Toppling, Sweeps, Living Dark, Radiant, Forward momentum, and Crescent.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like DW and resto.

Both DW and 2h are good on front bar though. 2h gives better passives, but DW is quicker heavies and easier to weave imo, plus let's you mix and match traits

Rally won't change my build next patch though.

I'm already rubbing bear haunch so I could free up bar space and drop tri pots and use alliance pots
  • And0ssus
    And0ssus
    ✭✭✭
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=417618

This is basicly my build for open world atm.
    I only switched to 4 light/3 heavy because i'm tanky enough and the extra Penetration is pretty nice. Some Stats aren't 100% like in the Editor (Resistance/Resources, etc), since a while the Editor acts weird and its basicly every buff on that you can have as a solo Player.

I personally don't Like War Maiden, it doesn't get buffed by minor/major Sorcery sadly and doesn't impact healing.

If you run Mist Form or not is up to you. Race against time is also fine, both having their pros and cons.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I personally don't Like War Maiden, it doesn't get buffed by minor/major Sorcery sadly
    Apparently this is false or outdated information. See point 1 in this recent video. I trust a guy like Skinny Cheeks on this matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6yHC7TLoME
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah this has been pretty conclusively tested and proven on a number of occasions. Major sorc affects sets liek war maiden, silks, and major brutality will afect stuff like automaton. It just doesn't show up on your character sheet.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    Next update I'm looking at 2h and resto due to the changes to Momentum where it adds major sorcery. So on the 2h bar I would run Toppling, Sweeps, Living Dark, Radiant, Forward momentum, and Crescent.

Yeah that was why I started levelling 2h as my next wep line. Tbh though, I'm finding degeneration is a surprisingly good dot esp buffed by war maiden. I do like 2h though. Im wondering about slotting executioner on my dk next patch :)
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=417618

This is basicly my build for open world atm.
    I only switched to 4 light/3 heavy because i'm tanky enough and the extra Penetration is pretty nice. Some Stats aren't 100% like in the Editor (Resistance/Resources, etc), since a while the Editor acts weird and its basicly every buff on that you can have as a solo Player.

I personally don't Like War Maiden, it doesn't get buffed by minor/major Sorcery sadly and doesn't impact healing.

If you run Mist Form or not is up to you. Race against time is also fine, both having their pros and cons.

Thanks for the build, Ill take a look. I actually like having both RAT and mist form. It's a bit overkill but I find they serve different purposes - mist form is a great escape, where RAT is gen utility + v strong on the offensive. It may well be overkill with toppling charge as well.
    fred4 wrote: »
    Yeah, I front bar Living Dark, because it's only 6 seconds and you need to keep it up. Radiant is good, especially in groups. 1v1 getting a decent player into execute range and them not LoSing Radiant can be a problem, so I prefer just keeping the pressure up. The swap is basically Purifying Light versus Radiant for me. You could get rid of Degeneration, use a Spell Power (/ Detection / Magicka) potion and put either Toppling or Purifying on the back bar. Right now I'm going for potion flexibility.

Yeah, Purifying Light versus Radiant solo vs group is probably a good way to look at it. I hate to give up the damage from purifying but realistically, zooming around last night trying to get some AP, I was finding I was engaging multiple targets half the time. Radiant probably a stronger bet there.
    Edited by Larcomar on February 10, 2022 11:02AM
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't used resto yet and this is the direction I will be going in the next few days. Probably with a Destro or

I've used double destro - Light/Ice but also 2H maul and Ice...can't complain!

I'm in serious need of updating my build as I'm bored of Pariah based ones.

I'm thinking Kynmarcher + Trickery or Warmaiden + not sure!! any suggestions or experience from any of you?

I'm not convinced on deadly. I cannot be bothered to farm Olorime and I've never been a fan of Clever Alch.
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on February 10, 2022 11:47AM
  • And0ssus
    And0ssus
    ✭✭✭
    @Rhaegar75

I tried kynmarchers a bit, but wasn't a huge Fan of it after a while/other Sets worked better for me.
    Simple reason: you want one of the 3 offensive debuffs (vulnerability/breach/defile), but since they are debuffs, they can be cleansed.
    For Smallscaling its definitly nice, but not that great for solo PvP imo.
    You could also try Burning Spellweave on FB and procc it with vampire's bane. I just kinda ran out of Barspace on my DW/Resto Build.

@fred4
    Definitly outdatet on my Side.
    But good to know.
    Still more a fan of "Overall" Spell/Wpn Dmg since it boosts your healing as well.
    Edited by And0ssus on February 10, 2022 12:45PM
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m thinking about trying to dust good old soulshine front bar with trickery or clever back bar - resto/destro

Alternatively warmaiden + clever or trickery

Do you miss using potions for actual healing when you use clever?

@And0ssus thanks: tried Kynmarcher and definitely not that impressed!!!

I’m still non keen on farming Olo
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still playing around with his set up but really enjoying him. I think like fred and others have said, if only for restore, it's a choice between Lightning / SnB or DW / resto. I'm kind of coming down on the former though; between sweeps, bubble, htd, rune and ritual I feel awash with healing. Knocks spots off my dk and, indeed, warden. Really not feeling like I need resto.