The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Magsorc BG/no cp PvP-Build Deadlands DLC

Killer1712
Killer1712
✭✭
Hey guys! 👋

This is my current magsorc pvp build for no cp/BGs.

https://youtu.be/n_SJhMW_6Ao

If you need some help with your magsorc, or you have any questions lmk 😉

You will also find a build for cp & some gameplay on my channel.

Enjoy!
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Offense

Good build for random groups but this build will fall apart in high level gameplay where each team has a healer.

Your build = 5739 spell damage (1904 from building an extra 20k max magicka)
    Spell damage build = 7500 spell damage @ 100% target health, 8340 spell damage @ 20% target health with Bloodthirsty trait

This is a problem with all max magicka builds. 10.5 magicka = 1 spell damage

Defense

With the exception of Resto Ward, shields are very selfish. Spell damage Matriarch heals are much stronger for groups.

Max magicka is good in two scenarios.
    1. Bad team composition forces you into a "hit and run" playstyle to avoid dying from fast brawlers 1vX
    2. You have no healer and enemy players are smart enough to kill your Matriarch pet and interrupt the summon. You can lock down an inexperienced Mag Sorc w/ pet very easily and even good players get shut down.
    Conclusion

Good build with moderate damage and survivability through strong shields. Mostly selfish build. No block.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on February 8, 2022 2:25AM
    PC NA
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Offense

Good build for random groups but this build will fall apart in high level gameplay where each team has a healer.

Your build = 5739 spell damage (1904 from building an extra 20k max magicka)
    Spell damage build = 7500 spell damage @ 100% target health, 8340 spell damage @ 20% target health with Bloodthirsty trait

This is a problem with all max magicka builds. 10.5 magicka = 1 spell damage

Defense

With the exception of Resto Ward, shields are very selfish. Spell damage Matriarch heals are much stronger for groups.

Max magicka is good in two scenarios.
    1. Bad team composition forces you into a "hit and run" playstyle to avoid dying from fast brawlers 1vX
    2. You have no healer and enemy players are smart enough to kill your Matriarch pet and interrupt the summon. You can lock down an inexperienced Mag Sorc w/ pet very easily and even good players get shut down.
    Conclusion

Good build with moderate damage and survivability through strong shields. Mostly selfish build. No block.

After coming back this patch and playing this class here is my take.

Mag sorc is a pure thrash

This build or any mag sorc build will fall apart in high MMR. Players who have mained this class long enough will know what I am talking about. Bad heals due to zero passives. Trading too much damage for defense. Thrash shields. Thrash execute which can be dodged and does not kill anyone with undeath passive. No good class ultimate. But we do have those 20-0 from sorcs who stack defense and sit in the background spamming one skill and confirms kills from deserving team mates

The best way is the cheesy way is to use heroism pots and run EG, Pet, mines and 100% atro uptime. That way there is some group utility and not have to run away everytime something looks at you.

Edited by PhoenixGrey on February 8, 2022 5:56AM
  • Killer1712
    Killer1712
    ✭✭
    Thank you all for your reply!

But i also wanna mention my opinion to a few points here.:

Is Magsorc that bad atm?

No i think its not. I play the class since 2017 as my main pvp char. No procs, no pets.

Imo the class can be very strong in the right hands. Not talking about a heavy attack, cheese pet build staying 28m away and streak if i get chased.
    Can i tank out a dot dk , with a nb sniping my back at the same time? No, definitely not.

But thats not what the class is used to be. If i wanna play that kind of style, i would swap to stamcro/stamdk brawler builds.

Sorc (no matter if stam or mag) is about to nuke people in a few seconds.

And if you land your combo well timed , which is just training - you should be able to do so. Keep distance, your shields up & take the next target.

Thats what the playstyle of sorc is.

There are 2 kind of people:

1. Say magsorc is op - what was true back in time, when shields last for 20 sec, werent able to crit, no impact to resistance & scale only with max mag + extremly high burst.

2. Say magsorc is trash with bad shields and bad damage/burst - can only streak & run cheese pet builds.

If you ask me, both of them are wrong.

Fighting against a dot dk & you dont keep your shields up + trying to stay your ground and tank it out.. well its rip. But as long as you stay mobile , keeping the pressure high & your shields up, you are fine.

Imo thats an l2p issue- the class is easy to learn, but hard to master.

Conclusion: Magsorc is a very fun class & can be played in a lot of different ways. No matter if pet, no pet, with good support like negate + pet heal & mines , proc or no proc.

The class is very versatile and also very different to other classes , which makes it kinda unique.

And if you build it the right way, you will get a lot of burst with strong shields & high mobility.

Is it S-tier atm? No. The meta is changing everytime. So it depends on the players mindset , hopping from one meta class/build to the next one & thinking to be op.. or playing a class which is not in the best spot atm, but get used to it & (like i said before, meta is changing very fast) wait for their comeback and take their revenge when the time comes.. 🔥✌️

Anyway, i wish you all a great day & looking foward to more conversations!
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bad heals due to zero passives.
    Agreed they have serious issues. Primarily lack of hots and killable pet. Critical/Power Surge is just awful.

Trading too much damage for defense.
    The problem started when they nerfed Malacath from 25% down to 16% and worsened with the last update to Battle Spirit. Even with 8k spell damage it's very difficult to burst combo a good DK or Templar now. The damage just isn't there anymore.

Mag Sorcs do ~26% less damage than 1 year ago and haven't received any impactful buffs or sets to offset the loss.

Thrash execute which can be dodged and does not kill anyone with undeath passive.
    I've been using Fire Ring (Impulse morph) as an execute. It's not a replacement for Endless Fury but works well.

yDrkPfQ.png
    1qepCg7.png

It can't be dodged, breaks stealth, hits around corners and pillars, and applies Plaguebreak. It crits somewhere between 6-8k with afterburn and you can spam it from 28 meters out. It's easy to land with a 12 meter diameter.

No good class ultimate.
    Power Overload weave is still strong when used in a spell damage combo and when applying pressure to get to 20%.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on February 8, 2022 4:19PM
    PC NA
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killer1712 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your reply!

But i also wanna mention my opinion to a few points here.:

Is Magsorc that bad atm?

No i think its not. I play the class since 2017 as my main pvp char. No procs, no pets.

Imo the class can be very strong in the right hands. Not talking about a heavy attack, cheese pet build staying 28m away and streak if i get chased.
    Can i tank out a dot dk , with a nb sniping my back at the same time? No, definitely not.

But thats not what the class is used to be. If i wanna play that kind of style, i would swap to stamcro/stamdk brawler builds.

Sorc (no matter if stam or mag) is about to nuke people in a few seconds.

And if you land your combo well timed , which is just training - you should be able to do so. Keep distance, your shields up & take the next target.

Thats what the playstyle of sorc is.

There are 2 kind of people:

1. Say magsorc is op - what was true back in time, when shields last for 20 sec, werent able to crit, no impact to resistance & scale only with max mag + extremly high burst.

2. Say magsorc is trash with bad shields and bad damage/burst - can only streak & run cheese pet builds.

If you ask me, both of them are wrong.

Fighting against a dot dk & you dont keep your shields up + trying to stay your ground and tank it out.. well its rip. But as long as you stay mobile , keeping the pressure high & your shields up, you are fine.

Imo thats an l2p issue- the class is easy to learn, but hard to master.

Conclusion: Magsorc is a very fun class & can be played in a lot of different ways. No matter if pet, no pet, with good support like negate + pet heal & mines , proc or no proc.

The class is very versatile and also very different to other classes , which makes it kinda unique.

And if you build it the right way, you will get a lot of burst with strong shields & high mobility.

Is it S-tier atm? No. The meta is changing everytime. So it depends on the players mindset , hopping from one meta class/build to the next one & thinking to be op.. or playing a class which is not in the best spot atm, but get used to it & (like i said before, meta is changing very fast) wait for their comeback and take their revenge when the time comes.. 🔥✌️

Anyway, i wish you all a great day & looking foward to more conversations!

This is accurate for CP PVP and no CP no proc where the class is definitely A tier.

The class is very good against randoms or even groups who are half competent.

However while fighting proc builds and decent players in BG's i would put this class at the bottom.

If you arent convinced this class needs serious help, I would ask you to get your MMR high enough where you are fighting decent players running procs.
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on February 8, 2022 4:27PM
  • Killer1712
    Killer1712
    ✭✭
    Because you are thinking/saying the class is trash, i would like to know, how long do you play magsorc. Also which sets & race are you running?

Simply because i agree with you, that there are good players with proc sets in bgs. But even they will have a hard time. I mean.. whats the meta atm? Well especially on PS4/5 EU server its either dk's with plaguebreaker + kynmarcher or daedric trickery, stamnb's with perma stealth & high dmg, or clever/olorime magplar's. - but if they arent in an organized 4-men group, they will die aswell, no matter what.

Proc sets wont save your ass in a BG with good players. Maybe they will carry you in some situations, but at the end of the day, its about the player skills.

And here is, why magsorc is such a funny class imo. Cause 1st of all, its not that easy. I like the challenge. Stamcro plaguebreaker + clever, balorgh, mala/markyn +1 trainee & vamp stage 3 for example is very strong. Is it fun? At least for me, no.

Class needs serious help?
    No, i dont think so.

They could buff shields, or let it scale with spell dmg instead of max mag.

But this shouldnt be a "nerf/buff sorc" , or "what is the best class atm" discussion at all.

Its a BG/no cp-build for players, who like the class, or wanna try something different.

• SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But this shouldnt be a "nerf/buff sorc" , or "what is the best class atm" discussion at all.

Its a BG/no cp-build for players, who like the class, or wanna try something different.

It's a good build I like it. Just not optimal for some scenarios.

I think your build is very good for newer players who can take advantage of Sithis + shields/dodge.

Staying alive with block/torc and Matriarch is not easy.

Thank you for sharing your build.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on February 8, 2022 5:46PM
    PC NA
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because you are thinking/saying the class is trash, i would like to know, how long do you play magsorc. Also which sets & race are you running?

Roll dodge is my most used skill. Why do sets matter as damage shields are weak on even 50k max mag builds with sithis and basic heals like rapid regen and healing ward are not reliable.

And here is, why magsorc is such a funny class imo. Cause 1st of all, its not that easy. I like the challenge. Stamcro plaguebreaker + clever, balorgh, mala/markyn +1 trainee & vamp stage 3 for example is very strong. Is it fun? At least for me, no.

Class needs serious help?
    No, i dont think so.

Running away insead of rising to the challenge is what makes sorc unique and funny

By serious help i don't mean an overhaul.

Even quality of life changes are serious for me and is enough to make it competitive.
    1. Remove delay on streak. There is a stupid animation delay while streaking which cannot be cancelled. Mag sorc is usually the easiest class for me to burst due to this nonsense and these small windows is all it takes good players to roast you
    2. Make the execute scale at 25% health
    3. Shields still feel like they have a cast time and animation cancelling shields does not work half the time
    4. Make rune cage undodgeable

Edited by PhoenixGrey on February 8, 2022 6:32PM
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Bad heals due to zero passives.
    Agreed they have serious issues. Primarily lack of hots and killable pet. Critical/Power Surge is just awful.

Trading too much damage for defense.
    The problem started when they nerfed Malacath from 25% down to 16% and worsened with the last update to Battle Spirit. Even with 8k spell damage it's very difficult to burst combo a good DK or Templar now. The damage just isn't there anymore.

Mag Sorcs do ~26% less damage than 1 year ago and haven't received any impactful buffs or sets to offset the loss.

Thrash execute which can be dodged and does not kill anyone with undeath passive.
    I've been using Fire Ring (Impulse morph) as an execute. It's not a replacement for Endless Fury but works well.

yDrkPfQ.png
    1qepCg7.png

It can't be dodged, breaks stealth, hits around corners and pillars, and applies Plaguebreak. It crits somewhere between 6-8k with afterburn and you can spam it from 28 meters out. It's easy to land with a 12 meter diameter.

No good class ultimate.
    Power Overload weave is still strong when used in a spell damage combo and when applying pressure to get to 20%.

That execute seems like a good idea ! I do like overload but it gets real clunky on weekends due to lag and it does not go off with ele weapon.
  • Killer1712
    Killer1712
    ✭✭
    Than i have one last serious question to you @PhoenixGrey :

Why you just dont play another class? 🤔

I mean.. if you dont like it , its fine. But maybe other people enjoy it 👀
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Than i have one last serious question to you @PhoenixGrey :

Why you just dont play another class? 🤔

I mean.. if you dont like it , its fine. But maybe other people enjoy it 👀

1. I can't buy a fully leveled toon with all the gear on the crown store. Not worth my time to grind dude
    2. People do have thumbs on PC NA or EU unlike console where you like literally 1vX everyone in a high MMR BG
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on February 8, 2022 7:28PM
  • Killer1712
    Killer1712
    ✭✭
    Its ok m8.. stay there please 👀 cba to complain 4 nothing
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its ok m8.. stay there please 👀 cba to complain 4 nothing

Sure ! However I will complain and continue to do so
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    Nice build with good new idea ( use of Fire ring ) that is worth to try out…
    I play mag toons only and sorc is my favourite for BGs. Why ? Cause NBs are looney toons and cloaking is something I hate, Magdens are not usable in this moment, MagDks are great but with the nevending story with leap and other skills bugs it is a pain to play… Magcro is something I am working on, because of the playstyle (except harmony builds)…

But magsorc is something you can play from distance and also I have a build for close combat ( brawler killer 😁 ). The best is that all skills are working all the time ( not like DK without three or four major combat skills ).

Thumbs up and keep playing 👍👍👍
  • Killer1712
    Killer1712
    ✭✭
    @xPoisin ty brother, glad to hear the magsorc-crew is still alive 👊🔥

100% agree with your comment 🤝

Which server are you playing?
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly PC-EU, DC faction on Ravenwatch… Now tryin to gather some event rewards in BGs 🤪🤪🤪
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running something pretty similar. That is basically Malcoms BG build with a handful of small changes. Willpower over Trainee, Boundless over Annulment, Inner Light over Mages Wrath (for solo queue, this seems like a hard skill to drop, so many free KBs), Ward over Rapid Regen, and a few more pieces of well fitted (I also like running extra Well Fitted). I get it, only so many options on a petless sorc.

It's a very selfish build, but does seem to work well in solo queue, Low MMR BGs. I recently starting playing them on my mag sorc, havent been in BGs in years. Want to get some of the achieves and getting close to GO, but cyrodiil is painful ATM with the lag and Dark Convergence everywhere.

Played about 20 BGs over the last week an my averages scores are something like 15, 3 and 15, and usually top 2 in damage (sometimes first by a mile). I get a lot of hate tells, but I think we are back to the old adage that Mag Sorcs are great pug Nukers and relatively easy to play, but they don't do nearly as well against experienced players.

I have no idea how MMR works, but guessing I am playing against scrubs. It seems like there is 1 maybe 2 decent players on each team, the team that somehow gets second decent players wins. Admittedly, this build (or close to it) does eat scrubs for breakfast. I would see it falling apart in a hurry in group or high MMR matches. Not enough pressure against tanky builds and Roll dodge is effectively a hard counter to your damage.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on March 9, 2022 9:16PM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Oreyn_Bearclaw the more games you play results in mmr rising. Hopefully your skills increase proportionally with your mmr gain!
    Also in high mmr games there are several very good magsorcs who absolutely carry games.
    Magio, skaraminoc, haki, miracle, streakallday, etc
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Oreyn_Bearclaw the more games you play results in mmr rising. Hopefully your skills increase proportionally with your mmr gain!
    Also in high mmr games there are several very good magsorcs who absolutely carry games.

@gariondavey

Oh I am sure it can be done, I just dont think its going to be easy mode, which is frankly what it feels like now. And yes, sure hope they do. I can see going from Low MMR to High MMR feeling a bit like the leap from normal to vet where normal really doesnt prepare you because things just fall down and die. Haha.

I think really the point of my little rant is that sorc may actually be S class or whatever the term is in low MMR, I am not sure that is the case in higher MMR. Great players can make any class deadly. Truthfully, two more AR levels and my sorc is going on the shelf for a long while. I much prefer some of my other toons in PVP, but feel like I should get one to GO, and the sorc is the closest. I am about a 90/10 PVE/PVPer.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@gariondavey

Oh I am sure it can be done, I just dont think its going to be easy mode, which is frankly what it feels like now. And yes, sure hope they do. I can see going from Low MMR to High MMR feeling a bit like the leap from normal to vet where normal really doesnt prepare you because things just fall down and die. Haha.

I think really the point of my little rant is that sorc may actually be S class or whatever the term is in low MMR, I am not sure that is the case in higher MMR. Great players can make any class deadly. Truthfully, two more AR levels and my sorc is going on the shelf for a long while. I much prefer some of my other toons in PVP, but feel like I should get one to GO, and the sorc is the closest. I am about a 90/10 PVE/PVPer.

Magsorc is at least A tier in high mmr, imo
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@gariondavey

Magsorc is at least A tier in high mmr, imo

Fair.