Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Medusa vs Tzogvin

GeminiEleven11
I’m a pve mag sorc. Currently I run Medusa/Kinras & Bahsei. So, is Tzogvins preferable over Medusa/Kinras and why. Just got through Golding out Kinras (Expensive) lol,and wanted to know before I farm/gold out Tzogvins. Thx in advance!

Best Answers

• etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tzogvins is up to about 3% extra damage from penetration bonus *if* your penetration is not high enough - otherwise the penetration boost is wasted in PvE. As the game stands it's fairly hard for a mag toon not to have enough penetration (about 4-5K in most PvE content is fine)

Tzogvin is 1314 crit chance plus a max of 1770 crit built up over at least 10 seconds and only then do you get minor force.

Medusa is 2863 crit and minor force all the time.

Assuming you have enough penetration:
    I you are in a long fight (at least 12 probably nearer 15-20 seconds even with decent crit chance) then Tzogvin begins to outperform slightly. In a shorter fight Medusa wins on critical chance and on minor force being always up. Note that there are two things here - even if you had 100% crit chance then after 10 seconds Tzogvin has risen a higher crit than Medusa but the Medusa wearer has been doing more damage for those 10 seconds and it'll take a while before the Tzogvin user passes them on the total damage.

If you need the extra penetration then Tzogvin is more of a win and the length of fight to make it a win is a bit shorter versus Medusa. On stamina penetration may be an issue and then the ability to go from lover to thief and still make enough pen is a definite win.

Kinras is more about the group because once you build stacks you give other people a 5% damage boost, and you get a 10% one. However it's less crit (and crit is still king) so it works best if not only are you buffing other people but you are on a well formed group where other people are buffing you. Likewise it's got the stack building problem and if you watch people using it in dungeons the uptime except on vet content is generally pretty poor.

Too many toons not enough time
    Answer ✓
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other thing to add actually is that Kinras is also about scaling

In a vet DLC dungeon assuming the best cases you'll get decent Kinras uptime but you are trading off crit and stack building against a group buff. You'll buff 3 people 5%, unfortunately only one of them is actually a DPS. In a normal Sunspire you'll be stacked tight for long fights and your 5% buff is hitting 7 or 8 other damage dealers so your buff is worth just under half a dps.

Too many toons not enough time
    Answer ✓
  • Lenny_linguine
    I’m a pve mag sorc. Currently I run Medusa/Kinras & Bahsei. So, is Tzogvins preferable over Medusa/Kinras and why. Just got through Golding out Kinras (Expensive) lol,and wanted to know before I farm/gold out Tzogvins. Thx in advance!

There is a unique element to tzogvins over medusa on mag toons depending on your set up. In your case this trick isn't amazing for basi, but better for other sets that are front bard if you ever go that route. That is you can run t'zogvin jewellery, and two body pieces to double bar it. makes stacks go up faster and easy to maintain. Then use three light body pieces and a front bar weapon for your front bar set. Doing this and using a light monster helm plus kilt, means you can run 3 medium and 4 light on a mag toon, still reach pen cap, you'd hit the same crit chance as if you used medusa but your up extra weapon and spell damage overall from the medium pieces. In your case, medusa and tzogvin are both good, how good would be fight length and stack dependent.
    Answer ✓
  • GeminiEleven11
    Ty so much. Just the type of answer I was looking for!!!
  • GeminiEleven11
    Ok that makes sense. Ty that helps a lot!
  • Trae12
    Trae12

There is a unique element to tzogvins over medusa on mag toons depending on your set up. In your case this trick isn't amazing for basi, but better for other sets that are front bard if you ever go that route. That is you can run t'zogvin jewellery, and two body pieces to double bar it. makes stacks go up faster and easy to maintain. Then use three light body pieces and a front bar weapon for your front bar set. Doing this and using a light monster helm plus kilt, means you can run 3 medium and 4 light on a mag toon, still reach pen cap, you'd hit the same crit chance as if you used medusa but your up extra weapon and spell damage overall from the medium pieces. In your case, medusa and tzogvin are both good, how good would be fight length and stack dependent.

This is something ive never thought about, you can manipulate passives like that.