The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Disability, need help with a stationary DPS build.

Gromgok
Gromgok
✭✭
Hey guys,

I've asked this a while back, but I want to get current info: What is a build I can play to be mostly stationary, PvE only, no PvP? I prefer to be strict DPS, no healing or tanking for groups. I won't be doing any high-end content, just the basics. I'll be mostly solo and probably won't do much or any group combat outside of what's necessary to progress the story. I have a minor disability that makes moving and attacking at the same time, and dodging, difficult.

Honestly, the fewer buttons to mash and the easier the build is to play, the better.

If you have a suggestion, a link to a guide would be tremendously helpful, since I have no idea what I'm doing yet!

Thanks!
Edited by Gromgok on January 31, 2022 1:55AM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorc pet build might be helpful? Let your Clannfear draw agro and take the pressure off you.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Companions can help with this style.

Pet Sorcerer or Magic Templar for Magic. Surprisingly, a DW/Bow Stamina Night Blade can be effective standing around. The Healing spell is super easy to get now, no real PvP required.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't move around much, and I can solo anything up to base game WBs and (any) public dungeon group events easily.

(When I solo group dungeons I do feel like I need to move more.)

Now, I do have a lot of CP, a maxed out companion, a Ring of the Pale Order and so on, so your experience may vary.

Specific thoughts start:
    • Avoid builds that require you to be in melee range, because then you might have to move to chase the enemies around. This rules out any stamina build that isn't bow-bow, along with any magicka build that relies on melee-range class spammables.
    • (But that doesnt mean you can't equip good melee range skilss. They're useful in MOST fights.)
    • Bow-bow stamina warden is underrated. Line up ALL the Animal Companion skills on your front bar. Back-bar bow AoEs if you want them, Vigor for the self-heal (definitely), Green Lotus for both the heal and buff (probably), and whatever else you like.
    • For trash fights, magicka characters can do fine by literally spamming a single skill: Unstable Wall of Elements. At least, that's true once you get the last passive in the Destruction Staff skill line, which returns a lot of magicka on a kill.
    • A companion with a restoration staff can help keep you alive.

And by the way, tomorrow's PTS patch notes may show us that stamina builds are getting yet better self-healing than they previous had.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll just toss out one pointer that can help your survivability a lot if you'll be facetanking things and standing in red: a little thing I like to call Brawlerspam.

Using a 2h with the Brawler morph of Cleave gives you nice aoe damage and a damage shield that gets bigger the more things you hit. I use it as my aoe spammable on stamblade and it's especially nice with the extra damage from a Master's 2h from DSA (which you may not want to go for since you're not into group content).

If you like the 2h idea, Francis' point about having a ranged attack might mean having a bow on one bar if you're comfortable with bar-swapping, or choosing a class that has a ranged stam spammable (warden, necro... templar javelin is getting a buff i think, is the DK poop-flinging skill viable?), or slotting something like Silver Shards from the Fighters Guild skill line (which also has a morph that will pull enemies to you if that sounds enjoyable).
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play Stamplar, the easiest spec out there - it can do vet trial level damage with just one bar. Yes, it's melee, but there is not much very mobile fights in the game.
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If your goal is the story, you probably have several options, but brawler spam would be fine. It would work well enough without the Master's 2H ax that @Ilsabet mentioned, but if you have the opportunity to get one, it would be nice.

If you want some self heals you can use Ring of the Pale Order or the CP (reaving blows?) that will give you a % of health back based on your direct damage.

You could run virtually any medium armor that gave weapon damage, crit, or stam and make it work for what youre doing, Hundings and Briarheart for example, the Ring, and a one piece, like trainee, to fill in the gap.

You didnt mention a class, so Ill give you an idea; Wardens have a stam version of birds so they would still have a ranged attack even with a 2H weapon equipped and if you needed and a bear to help. In truth you could make any class work, but wardens have a pretty solid kit for this. Stamsorcs would also work well and after the patch they should be even better.

Edited by Agenericname on January 31, 2022 5:05PM
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather than standing still, you might consider pressing the key for auto run and then the key to walk instead of run. It gives you steady movement at a manageable speed. I regularly used this when playing with just one hand due to injury.

It used to be that Leeching plate + Bahraha's curse + Ring of the Pale Order and a monster piece would do about 13K DPS on solo bosses (more if there were mobs) and survive just about anything (e.g. enter vet Hel Ra solo, aggro all the mobs from the first part of it, and survive as long as desired). However, I haven't tried it since they scaled these sets to health.

Soloing group content, running a 2 pet sorc build as mentioned above is effective. In vet arenas and against harder world bosses, the matriarch dies too often for comfort.

edit: I just tried leeching+ Bahraha's on a non-optimized necro with 45 K health. Holding down LMB and hitting elemental blockade and blastbones on occasion yielded 7K damage on the 3M skele and died in vet Hel Ra after about a minute. So, it looks like that setup got nerfed pretty hard when they changed it.
    Edited by SirLeeMinion on February 1, 2022 12:09AM
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are mostly solo and not in a hurry then having sword/board one bar and 2H cleave the other can work very well assuming you are ok with bar swapping and multiple skills. Much like in PvP whenever you are under pressure you can simply switch to sword/board and use healing skills whilst blocking, then switch back and smack them over the head.

There are a few builds that are good for general stationary trash clearing and whilst weaker on bosses are fine for overland and delve content (and with practice far more)

One is a single bar ice staff build (usually warden). You've then got something like

- ice fortress (defensive protection, hit it when it expires)
    - arctic blast (strong heal, and some damage when you need it)
    - exploding wall (the only skill you really use)
    - magelight (for the passive - never used)
    - blue betty (magicka sustain, removes bad effects, boosts damage by 20% when up, hit when expires)
    - your bear

The ice staff also allows you to heavy attack getting a damage shield from that and you'll do ok even without keeping the ice fortress/betty up in most content. I wander solo round spellscar with mine clearing big trash packs and I rarely do much dodging even with that.

Gear doesn't matter too much - light sets that boost magicka or critical chance are good, frostbite is ideal, mad tinkerer hilarious. It's also possible to do cleverer things like running Hexos Ward weapons and jewellery plus a light critical focussed set (eg mother's sorrow).

If you still find you need more protection then one set plague doctor (try and put chest/legs and the rest on jewellery or weapons), plus a light set and two pieces of something (ideally trainee). Somewhere in the middle of the two is two light 5 piece sets and two heavy pieces of trainee on chest/legs.

If you just need simple control then the one bar stamplar builds all over the net work well, and you can swap one skill for the templar shield skill to get more protection. Again the two pieces trainee chest/legs plus 2 x 5 medium this time works well.

Another option depending upon the disability is to look at other input devices. It's possible to put the base combat skills on the buttons of a mouse with lots of buttons. It's also possible to use things like foot controlled mice.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar with Puncturing Sweep

5 piece Hexos Ward
    1 piece Ring of the Pale Order
    1 piece Trainee
    5 piece Deadly Strike

These sets can be bought off guild traders. You'll probably want the lover mundus stone, divines trait on armor, and precise trait on weapons. You'll probably want a mag recovery glyph on your weapon and some jewelry pieces.
    Edited by RaptorRodeoGod on February 1, 2022 5:33AM
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Templar or Magicka Templar with (Prayer Shawl/Para Bellum) + (Hexos' Ward) + (Iceheart/Ring of Pale Order). Most enjoyable ease of playing the game I've ever had and has made me question why I've remained loyal to my Nightblade main for eight years when we have to sweat so hard to get semi-similar results to a Templar that can literally just jab for the same DPS pretty much lolz
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find my magward can readily hold her position pretty well with minimum movement if needed.

She is a dps but has plenty of heals for her bear and tank companion. Buff up, send in bear and tank companion, wait until they get solid aggro, then pour on the dps while making sure the tank & bear stay healed up as needed. One key is no ranged attacks for the tank companion except for a gap closer. The 'command pet' key sends in any/all summons/companions that you have with just one command.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Dimski
    Dimski
    ✭✭✭
    Check out Hack The Minotaur. He's got a couple of one-bar builds. His Mauler Dragon Knight is a one-bar heavy attack build using brawler.
    https://www.hacktheminotaur.com/builds/eso-stamina-dragonknight-solo-pve-one-bar-build-mauler
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - craft Julianos + Hunding Rage
    - spam Stampede left and right
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rather than standing still, you might consider pressing the key for auto run and then the key to walk instead of run. It gives you steady movement at a manageable speed. I regularly used this when playing with just one hand due to injury.

It used to be that Leeching plate + Bahraha's curse + Ring of the Pale Order and a monster piece would do about 13K DPS on solo bosses (more if there were mobs) and survive just about anything (e.g. enter vet Hel Ra solo, aggro all the mobs from the first part of it, and survive as long as desired). However, I haven't tried it since they scaled these sets to health.

Soloing group content, running a 2 pet sorc build as mentioned above is effective. In vet arenas and against harder world bosses, the matriarch dies too often for comfort.

edit: I just tried leeching+ Bahraha's on a non-optimized necro with 45 K health. Holding down LMB and hitting elemental blockade and blastbones on occasion yielded 7K damage on the 3M skele and died in vet Hel Ra after about a minute. So, it looks like that setup got nerfed pretty hard when they changed it.

I do this very exact same thing, saves so much stress on my hands! I also don't LA weave because it stresses my mouse hand. I definitely recommend Hack the Minotaur builds, as someone else pointed out.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I’m understanding correctly, you only want to do the story/questing right? In that case you shouldn’t need to be involved with group content and you have tons of options. Truth is Overland content can be completed comfortably on any class.

I would say to pick the class theme you enjoy most and then create a stand-still build from there. Each class will have slightly different ways of accomplishing what you want.

Dragonknight = Fire/Earth theme
    Sorcerer = Storm/Dark Magic theme
    Warden = Ice/Nature theme
    Templar = Holy/Light theme
    Nightblade = Assassin/Blood Magic theme
    Necromancer = Undead/Bone theme

All classes can do what you want.

A big helpful thing I want to say is to make sure your character has a Mundus Stone and a Food/Drink - these are huge buffs to your character.