The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Barswap lag still an issue, unsheathe weapon delay and tab target time is too long (since Blackwood)

BahometZ
BahometZ
✭✭✭✭✭
I have submitted multiple tickets since Blackwood drop about barswap lag being a significant issue, and have never heard anything official from ZOS acknowledging it.
It is a persistent and easily replicable bug.
The most noticeable issue is that if you have different weapon types slotted on front and backbar (specifically in my case, daggers front, inferno back) then gradually over time in an instance when you barswap there is a frame stutter that gets longer and worse as time progresses. Likely it accumulates the more you bar swap. The only way to remove it is to either relog or /reloadui. Reloading ui prevents text chat from popping up which is a minor nuisance.
This is significant problem for completing content where response time matters. I would just like to know if ZOS has any intention of doing anything about it.

Also since Blackwood it takes what feels like an age (~2 seconds) to go from weapon sheathed position to casting a skill, or anything requiring interaction with an object, like using blade of woe. It also adds infuriating slow response times for when you interact with an item in the game, sheathe your weapon, and are then attacked and have to redraw your weapon. It was never like this previously. It makes simple actions in the game painful. Is this intentional? Why does it occur? It is a clear regression to player experience.

Also around the same time for some reason the time it takes for tab target to take effect was increased significantly, making any fight where you need to tab target to ensure hits connect a fraught process. Time is vital in so many fights and having to hold your right stick still to tab target for 1-2 seconds when it is also what you use to look around is atrocious. Why was this change enacted? What was the intention?

These three issues combined have added a level of annoyance to the game that is beyond unsatisfactory. I am trying to get things done and have to fight the game just to fight in the game.

I would appreciate some clarification on whether the barswap lag will be fixed, and whether the sheathe and tab target times are intentional.

Thank you

Pact Magplar - Max CP (NA XB)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should probably tag @zos_kevin ...
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say I'm experiencing all of the above on Xbox Series X on NA server with half-gig wired fiber internet.

Also the heavy attack bugs with it not canceling and having to finish the full channel (not sure if that's the correct term but all 4-ticks I think it is) and also heavy attacks not continuing like they used to if you simply held the trigger down on the controller.

I also have skills not firing at all when entering towers at resources in no CP Cyrodiil sporadically making taking a resource a huge chore that it should not be.

There are lots of other problems too like getting stuck in combat or it simply not ending in a reasonable amount of time so I can get on a mount etc. This happens in PVE and Cyrodiil PVP. I'd say bugs or bad performance literally leads to at least 50% of my deaths in Cyrodiil these days. It would be nice if life or death in a PVP game was based on skill instead of on horrible class imbalance and the game simply not working.

I could go on and on. I hope some of these more game-breaking bugs and issues will be addressed in the patch Wednesday. It seems like it's been almost 2-months since any patch addressed any bugs. But from what they've said it will probably be at least 2023 before we see much change to PVP. They've been saying that they're working on performance for years and we all know where we are now.
    Edited by malistorr on January 31, 2022 8:00PM
  • Ch3mical_92
    Ch3mical_92
    ✭✭✭
    Omg I knew there was something off with taptarget. It felt so uneasy to use while raiding and I didnt remember it to be this way
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been going on for months. And Its annoying yes.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it's on purpose. I can't say why I feel that way, since it solidly makes the game clunkier and less enjoyable, so you'd have to be absolutely bonkers to do it on purpose. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure it's on purpose.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I get killed so many times in Cyrodiil when manning siege and get hit by flamepots or Coldharbour fire and first have to hit circle to exit the siege and then wait for the slow weapons draw before I can cleanse. I am dead by then.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get killed so many times in Cyrodiil when manning siege and get hit by flamepots or Coldharbour fire and first have to hit circle to exit the siege and then wait for the slow weapons draw before I can cleanse. I am dead by then.

It makes no sense that we have to draw weapons to use a non-weapon ability. :disappointed:
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it's exactly as I expected. Not a single thing that matters to most players was fixed in today's patch (The biggest most impactful issues). It's been 2-months since there was a maintenance patch and of course it fixed a few PVE bugs. Just not the ones most players care about or the ones that have existed for years.

There are still huge sound issues in dungeons. You go through a dungeon and either don't hear all the sound clips or they overlap each other and sound like a huge jumbled mess. You can't even hear what the people are saying.

There are dungeons where an enemy can get stuck behind a wall etc. and it won't let you go through doors for minutes at a time, if ever.

Heavy attacking with a lightning staff at least is a huge mess. You can't stop attacks until the full 4-ticks are done. You can't just keep the trigger held down to continue the attack like it used to work.

There are NPC characters like look like they're sitting down, but on air sporadically.

All of the sudden it seems like it's darn near impossible to take a resource in Cyrodiil no CP PVP at least. Even with vamp level 3, Pariah, all heavy, and over 30K health I'm having to constantly heal now to take a resource and it wasn't like this even a few weeks ago.

I could go on and on. ZOS, please fix things that affect a large part of your player base and things that people have been complaining about for months and years.
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here to report some of my testing with the sheathe/unsheathe delays. PC/NA using Gamepad (XB1X and XBSX).

The animation for weapon sheathing and unsheathing now takes 2-3 seconds and has to be played before most other actions can occur...

- While weapons are drawn, trying to interact with anything forces the sheathe animation (2-3 seconds) before the interaction occurs. This applies to harvesting nodes, treasure chests, talking to npc, etc.

- While weapons are drawn, mounting is noticeably slower because the weapons have to be sheathed (2-3 seconds) before mounting occurs.

- While weapons are stowed, using a skill forces the unsheathe animation (2-3 seconds) before the skill will fire.

- While weapons are stowed, using light-attack will unsheathe weapons faster than using the unsheathe button but slower than using block. The initial light-attack will not fire and has to be used again.

- While weapons are stowed, using block (as well as other abilities that use the block button like bash, break-free and dodge-roll) will unsheathe weapons instantly and completely bypasses the unsheathe animation. This also allows skills to fire almost instantly by using block followed by a skill.

And my favorite test of them all...

- While weapons are stowed, using a skill followed immediately by the sheathe button causes your weapons to unsheathe, re-sheathe, unsheathe again, and then finally the skill is fired... can't make this stuff up. LOL

Most of the core combat abilities as well as other skills have just felt sluggish for a while, I'm guessing it's due to more things being moved server-side? Tack on some lag/desync and things start getting down-right frustrating! So hopefully these things can be improved sooner than later...

Edit:
    Be aware that I'm using Gamepad. Some of these issues do not seem to occur the same with KB&M.
    Edited by N00BxV1 on February 4, 2022 7:43AM
  • Seraph_69
    Seraph_69
    Soul Shriven
    PC NA - as all the others, unsheathing adds a 2 second delay before I can use an ability.

Returning player/subscriber and I'm afraid to say that it feels so bad and so clunky I'm not sure I can carry on playing.

Has ZOS acknowledged or commented on this issue at all? A quick look through the threads for this appears they have not?

• NerfSeige
    NerfSeige
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seraph_69 wrote: »
    PC NA - as all the others, unsheathing adds a 2 second delay before I can use an ability.

Returning player/subscriber and I'm afraid to say that it feels so bad and so clunky I'm not sure I can carry on playing.

Has ZOS acknowledged or commented on this issue at all? A quick look through the threads for this appears they have not?

Nothing, I haven’t been able to tab target on pvp unless I’m ganking. Maybe they should put a tab target button? Say on PS, map is left touchpad and cycle targets is right
    Avid reader of wes’-pts-diary[RIP]

NerfAS and Shill ruins everything

Skinny-meta-fake, graded D, and can’t explain the law of diminishing marginal returns.

I won’t post that Wes, I’ll get [snipped] for the last time

Revert this patch - Audens, 2022
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tap targetting is definitely very slow now... it really is an issue when you're in a fight that requires quick switching of targets... half the time I end up sneaking!!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lambert noted it in his stream while doing a VMA run, recorded it, and reported it back to his team. In a later stream, he revealed that the team said it had been added months before. That merely means that the problem is the length of the delay, not the delay itself. No word since then on the subject, and my intuition says "no fix pending".
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

Lambert noted it in his stream while doing a VMA run, recorded it, and reported it back to his team. In a later stream, he revealed that the team said it had been added months before. That merely means that the problem is the length of the delay, not the delay itself. No word since then on the subject, and my intuition says "no fix pending".

Really? They actually added this on purpose?

This makes me very angry. They add something that is not needed and is a huge detriment to gameplay, especially in PvP where the game performance is so bad now, while there are longtime existing game breaking bugs that are not only not fixed, but not acknowledged. Their priorities don’t seem to align with ours.

I’ll have to see if I can snap some video the next time I die before exiting my siege due to this ridiculous delay adding to the DoT of the siege. Cause that’s what it’s doing, adding seconds of extra damage ticks.

[snip]

[Edit for Baiting.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on February 25, 2022 1:55AM
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh wow, I thought it was just me or maybe my mouse...thanks for reporting this
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • BahometZ
    BahometZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up. I don't understand why us players need to watch a twitch stream to find out important things about a video game. Hmph.
    Pact Magplar - Max CP (NA XB)
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But... we're still dealing with abilities that need to be activated MULTIPLE times before they actually fire... which is annoying when you add in the bar swap delay. You swap to bar, activate ability, swap back... only to realize ability didn't actually activate... swap back... activate... activate... activate (it finally activates) swap back. THIS also started happening a few months ago, not sure exactly when... but it never used to be this bad.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****