Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Newbie Player (Level 11) Here Looking for Tips and Tricks For Max DPS Sorcerer

hentaiking
hentaiking
Soul Shriven
Hi guys! Nice to meet y'all, my name is HentaiKing but you can call me King for short :)

I just purchased ESO on discount two days ago from Steam for $5 and I am very overwhelmed with the amount of info on my ui haha. I am currently doing a sorcerer dps build and I was hoping if anyone could provide insight for leveling, gear, and some mechanics for the game. For example, I have no idea how to get companions, how to spec properly for max dps, how to acquire event tickets, what quests would be the most rewarding for my character, and what exactly skyshards do.

I also would like to make friends on this game to hopefully join a guild (been denied by every single guild I've applied for on guild finder haha) because it's an mmo and as much as I love solo-playing it sometimes is very hard.

Thank you so much guys and hopefully I can see some of y'all in game :)
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To get companions you need Blackwood chapter, then you can google 'unlock bastian / mirri' and do a short quest.
    For event tickets you need to join event and do daily quests.
    3 skyshards give 1 skill point.
    PVE DPS is mostly magicka, due to conveniece. Start with 1 skills bar, then slowly start adding skills from 2nd bar. With base game overland/craft sets like diamond victory x medusa or mother sorrow you can easily get 20K single target DPS, which is enough for most dungeons.

Addons make a huge difference. First install addon manager - Minion. Then i recommend following addons:
    • auto recharge (and repair)
    • bandits user interface
    • beammeup
    • combat alerts
    • combat metrics
    • destinations
    • fancy action bar
    • lorebooks
    • map pins
    • quest map
    Edited by ixthUA on January 30, 2022 8:03AM
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My advice is just play the game and not worry about max DPS.

Join a guild. Ask someone to make you some Armour of the Seducer in training.

Then just explore, and try out skills. Your class skills and destruction staff.
  • BoraxFlux
    BoraxFlux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hentaiking wrote: »
    I also would like to make friends on this game to hopefully join a guild (been denied by every single guild I've applied for on guild finder haha) because it's an mmo and as much as I love solo-playing it sometimes is very hard.

Thank you so much guys and hopefully I can see some of y'all in game :)

A guild is a good step, have you asked why you were being denied?
    Are you using the (the first part of) your username on the forum also in game?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be patient and enjoy the journey! Anything and everything about your character you can change except your class. And you can create multiple characters.

If you find yourself enjoying the game and playing it a lot, I recommend you consider subscribing to ESO+, as it provides quite a few quality of life perks.

A great resource is the UESP wiki here: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Online

When you get to the point where you want some ideas of specific builds, consider looking into the sites of Hack the Minotaur and Alcast.

Also, do follow the forums here. Members complain alot, but there really is quite a bit of good info here. Not to mention this is a good place to learn official news on upcoming events/changes.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You're not going to win any damage awards with your first character before you're even level 50.

But the biggest things you *can* do is to understand mechanics.

1. Practice "light attack weaving/light attack animation canceling" (click light attack, then ALMOST immediately start a skill without waiting for the entire light attack animation to play out -- it's a waste of time to just watch the animation). Start a light attack before each skill press about once a second, and the skill right after each light attack. This way you're doing effectively two things at once.

2. Understand skill rotations -- buff yourself and keep the buffs going, apply Damage over Time (DoT) effects and make sure they're always going on, and pepper in 'spammable' attacks in between your DoTs.

As for guild applications ... the user name is potentially a red flag to people reading them.
    Edited by Fennwitty on January 31, 2022 2:03PM
    PC NA
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wait until you are at least CP 600 to care about this. Until then, just have fun playing the game. Try out skills, gear, rotations that work for you. Play dungeons on normal. Learn mechanics. Because once you get locked into playing veteran group endgame content, the min/max builds are all similar. Its one thing to hit 100K on a target dummy, its another thing to do it in a trial and stay alive.

The best way to learn damage, sustain, healing, shields, etc? VMA. You're going to need the staff or bow anyway. Try to jump in there around CP 300
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    End game DPS doesn't matter
    - you don't have the right gear, or access to it realistically yet
    - you don't have the right character skills levelled yet
    - you almost certainly don't have the right game play experience and practice
    - the way you build a character changes a chunk once you have CP buffs in play

Enjoy the trip, take your time. You'll even get free respec scrolls a bit before level 50.

You can tell people who've been powered levelled and given the top end gear, mostly by their tendancy to do no damage and die a lot.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • hentaiking
    hentaiking
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you guys so much for the advice :smiley: school just started back up so Im on and off the eso grind, thank you for all the tips and I'll be sure to look into it