The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Objective players, you should be fighting for an improved queue system

• _adhyffbjjjf12
    _adhyffbjjjf12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS needs to redesign the objective modes so that they promote pvp instead of "le high IQ" avoiding fights to win.

I finish relic games with 30+ kills and win because it's actually one of the few objective modes which at least somewhat promotes fighting (cant score if enemy team has your relic, and there is only 1 relic / team).

Chaosball is actually kinda fun, since its also a game mode which promotes fighting and sticking with your group, and protecting the guy who has the ball, but the debuff dot + disabling key skills while holding the ball obviously makes this a lot less balanced than TDM, still a fun game mode every once in a while.

Land grab games need a redesign because the best way to win them is to avoid fights and just run for whatever random flag isn't currently occupied, while the people fighting over flags aren't getting nearly as many points. This is because there are more flags than teams. Reduce the number of max possible flags to 3 and the game mode will be a lot more interesting. (with 2 or only 1 it would be even more interesting)

95% of the reason that "avoiding combat" is an effective strategy in objective modes is the fact that DMers are busy avoiding the objectives. If the DMers were actually trying to win, it would be necessary for the other teams to engage in combat.

It's a lot easier to capture objectives unimpeded when half of your opponents are off spawn camping each other.

Sure, it's technically possible for all three teams to run around the map clockwise capturing objectives and never encountering each other, but that just results in a (near) stalemate. Winning consistently (against opponents that are actually trying to win) requires successfully defending captured objectives, or at least winning fights to capture undefended objectives.

Yeah it never works that way, because people die and also people naturally have different goals. Dying results in dynamic gameplay where people need to react and retreat/regroup/move on to next point/hide and recover/tank and hold/try to overwhelm/ try to sneak a point grab etc etc. In DM, its down to 1 thing - overwhelm to win.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Do other game modes still exist? After a long stretch of being away from ESO pvp I came back for mayhem and have been running BG on multiple characters for hours at a time. I always queue for solo random, I have never, no exaggeration, honestly never gotten anything but DM in that time.

I got one capture the relic since I started doing BGs again for MYM.

As I understand the current queues, the only way to get a non-DM is for the front of the overall queue to have 12 consecutive people who all queued random (and even then there's a 20% chance to pop DM). If anyone from the front 12 queued DM, a DM will pop.
    Edited by the1andonlyskwex on February 27, 2022 4:15PM
  • Aldoss
    Aldoss
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly. DM is barely PVP, its basically simplistic 'what team can X v 1 the other team the best'.

TIL 4v4v4 = 4v1...

Do other game modes still exist? After a long stretch of being away from ESO pvp I came back for mayhem and have been running BG on multiple characters for hours at a time. I always queue for solo random, I have never, no exaggeration, honestly never gotten anything but DM in that time.

If you haven't been looking at these forums the last couple months, then yeah this will likely be a jarring experience.

ZOS decided to let the random queue fill empty slots in the DM only queue. You will very likely only get DM until next patch in a few weeks.

The good news is that ZOS is reverting back to the true random queue.

The bad news is that it's the same queue system we had through most of 2021 that caused a lot of frustration for both objective players and deathmatchers.

It will be different, but not better.
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As I feared it would be, and why I haven't even bothered with BGs since the change. :(
  • Sweetare
    Sweetare
    ✭✭✭
    I started playing ESO again just before the start of the Mayhem event. I gotta say... Im absolutely sick of DM. I liked the mode, but just running in and brainlessly smashing people is just fun for so long. The respawns are too quick to do a strategy and is just 15 mins of nonsense smacking.

I have played A LOT of BGs in the past couple weeks and Ive had 2 non DM matches. Which were a lot of fun.

Cant wait for the queue change.