Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Toothrow set - why never mentioned?

Scaletho
Scaletho
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi
I usually use Toothrow sets in some of my stamina toons. My question is: why this set is never found in "best ESO sets" lists from veteran players sites? I'm not pro, but it seems very good...

Toothrow
LEVEL 50 - CP 160
Set bonus
(2 items) Adds 1096 Maximum Stamina
(3 items) Adds 657 Critical Chance
(4 items) Adds 657 Critical Chance
(5 items) Adds 171 Weapon Damage and Spell Damage, Gain Major Savagery and Prophecy at all times, increasing your Weapon Critical and Spell Critical rating by 2629.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because you get the Major Prophecy and Major Savagery buffs through abilities or potions. Getting it on a set like this feels like a waste of a 5 piece bonus.
    Edited by Vevvev on January 16, 2022 8:50PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Milchbart
    Milchbart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scaletho wrote: »
    Hi
    I usually use Toothrow sets in some of my stamina toons. My question is: why this set is never found in "best ESO sets" lists from veteran players sites? I'm not pro, but it seems very good...

Toothrow
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Set bonus
    (5 items) Adds 171 Weapon Damage and Spell Damage, Gain Major Savagery and Prophecy at all times, increasing your Weapon Critical and Spell Critical rating by 2629.

Its only "good" if you are too stingy to use really usefull potions.
    A DD who plays more challening content gets these buffs from "real" potions or from skills.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a good set for the casual player (which is +60% or more of the base), to go out and just play the game. Now if you want to be a bit more competitive in PvP or dungeon runs, you need to up your game with better skill selections, gear, potions, etc.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Scaletho
    Scaletho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Milchbart wrote: »
    A DD who plays more challening content gets these buffs from "real" potions or from skills.

Could you give me some example of real good potions, please?
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Essence of weapon power or essence of weapon crit give a large amount of stamina back, stam recovery, major savagery and either weapon damage buff or health return depending on the pot chosen from the 2 I mentioned

These are staple pots and must use for end game really.

Using leviathan set with pots will provide more stats than toothrow if going for flat crit set.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Since they hybridized buffs set provides, it is decent for hybrids, as it is hard to source both buffs together.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It kind of goes like this:
    • If you are an endgame player you get your major crit and brutality buffs from potions or group buffs. Your skill slots and 5-piece armor buffs are both more valuable. Your rotation includes 10 active skills and and 2 ultimates, although Camou Hunter also has the Minor Berserk going for it, thus you might slot that.
    • If you are a beginner, slot Camou Hunter or Magelight as applicable. It's one less skill to cast, making your rotation easier, while using a different set that gives you more damage or sustain.
    • If you are inbetween, doing PvP or normal to high-ish (but maybe not score-pushing) difficulty PvE, who cares. Play as you want.
    • If you are a theory crafter experimenting with hybrids, you might use the set.
    Edited by fred4 on January 17, 2022 1:31AM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Scaletho
    Scaletho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parrot1986 wrote: »

Essence of weapon power or essence of weapon crit give a large amount of stamina back, stam recovery, major savagery and either weapon damage buff or health return depending on the pot chosen from the 2 I mentioned

These are staple pots and must use for end game really.

Using leviathan set with pots will provide more stats than toothrow if going for flat crit set.

Many thanks, you helped me a lot.
  • Milchbart
    Milchbart
    ✭✭✭✭
    And for optimal use of the good potions you need the Alchemy passive "medicinal use" maxed out.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    If you are a beginner, slot Camou Hunter or Magelight as applicable. It's one less skill to cast, making your rotation easier, while using a different set that gives you more damage or sustain.

If you are a beginner you won't have those. Like Dreugh King Slayer and a few others it's a good dungeon levelling set but it's not a "serious" end game set. (It's a perfectly good normal dungeon set).

Too many toons not enough time
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I really have much to add, but any end game player that actually cares about damage is going to run spell/weapon power pots on cooldown and may very well run Inner Light or Cammo Hunter as well. To many easy ways to get major savagery and prophecy that don't require sacrificing 5th piece set bonus.

Assuming you have those buffs, the 5th piece bonus then effectively reads, add 171 spell/weapon damage, which is pretty lackluster. Something simple like hundings and julianos is better, and those are consider beginner sets these days.

You could certainly do worse than that set, but if you know anything about how combat functions, you are going to look elsewhere.
    And for optimal use of the good potions you need the Alchemy passive "medicinal use" maxed out.

You can max out alchemy in about 6 minutes. Sometime around level 10-15, I spend 10 minutes and max out alchemy and provisioning on all my toons. I get it, not everyone knows how to do that on their first toon, but it is trivial to level these two skill lines, even if just for the passives.
    fred4 wrote: »
    If you are a beginner, slot Camou Hunter or Magelight as applicable. It's one less skill to cast, making your rotation easier, while using a different set that gives you more damage or sustain.

If you are a beginner you won't have those. Like Dreugh King Slayer and a few others it's a good dungeon levelling set but it's not a "serious" end game set. (It's a perfectly good normal dungeon set).

These are pretty easy to get. Inner light is the first skill in the mages guild line. Do you even need to read lore books to unlock this? If you do, it aint many. Evil hunter is a little further down the tree, but as long as you unlock the skill early, you easily going to have this unlocked very quickly. Fighter guild levels pretty fast just by playing the game. Certainly much easier to unlock these skills at low levels than it is to farm a dungeon set at low levels.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on January 17, 2022 9:08PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any good DPS is going to run either Essence of Spell Power as a magic toon (major sorcery, major prophecy, major intellect) or Essance of weapon power on a stamina toon (Major brutality, Major Savagery, Major endurance) on cooldown when in combat. These can be crafted or bought with AP in PVP.

The only exceptions would be if using something like ulti pots in certain trial conten (in which case you get those buffs from a combination of group support and skills) or if you specifically build to run without them, knowing it will be a DPS loss. For example, on my NB I run inner light on my front bar and sap essence. Its a damage loss, but I cover major Sorcery and Prophecy so dont need to waste money on potions for easier content.

In vet PVE or in PVP content, its potions 100% of the time while in combat. Otherwise, you are simply putting yourself at a disadvantage.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on January 17, 2022 9:15PM
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi

Toothrow
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160
    Set bonus

This is basically the Treasure Hunter vs. Mother's Sorrow argument, and it basically boils down to the fact that Treasure Hunter (and Toothrow) give you a named bonus that doesn't stack with bonuses you could easily get from other sources, whereas Leviathan (and Mother's Sorrow) have no named bonuses, so they do stack with bonuses from potions, magelight, hunter's eye, etc.

Not that Toothrow and Treasure Hunter are bad sets, but there's better sets out there when it comes to trying to min-max your build.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This set is basically only good for building a hybrid Solo build on a class that doesn't have access to both crit buffs.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think toothrow and treasure hunter do need to be looked at, currently both of these sets due to hybridization are 98% identical (outside of the first set bonus which one is max mag and one is max stam)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014