The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Apex Mounts becoming increasingly Bland over generations

Lapin_Logic
Lapin_Logic
✭✭✭✭✭
When Crown Crates were first launched the Apex mounts were the star of the show, a 100% original model..... Now they are just black or white with slightly altered barding and a sticker slapped on them if you are lucky, I have not been bothered to buy any crates recently because weirdly once you could buy Radiant Apex mounts at 4 times the price of an Apex it now seems that Exclusively the Radiant Apex mounts are the only unique ones.
look at the list and see if you can tell where the design was phoned in.

Storm-Atronach-Wolf-Side.jpg?w=749&ssl=1
Iron-Atronach-Wolf-Side.jpg?resize=342%2C300&ssl=1
Flame-Atronach-Wolf-Side.jpg?w=896&ssl=1
Wild-Hunt-Wolf-Mount-Side-2.jpg?w=829&ssl=1
Dwarven-Wolf-Side.jpg?w=858&ssl=1
Skeletal-Wolf-Side.jpg?ssl=1
Wolf-Lizard-Steed-Upgraded.jpg?w=696&ssl=1
Frost-Atronach-Wolf-Side.jpg?resize=383%2C300&ssl=1
Gloomspore-Wolf-Side.jpg
Cursebound-Wolf-Side.jpg
Psijic-Wolf-Exemplar-Side.jpg?w=892&ssl=1
Frostbane-Wolf-Side.jpg?w=892&ssl=1
Sovngarde-Clawthane-Wolf-Side.jpg
Nenalata-Ayleid-Wolf-Side.jpg
Baandari-Pedlar-Brindle-Wolf-Side.jpg?w=724&ssl=1
New-Moon-Wolf-Side.jpg?w=731&ssl=1
Akaviri-Potentate-Wolf-Side.jpg
Hollowjack-Rider-Wolf-Side.jpg?w=742&ssl=1
Dragonscale-Barded-Wolf-Side.jpg?w=735&ssl=1
Grinning-Terror-Wolf-Side.jpg
Star-Born-Guardian-Wolf-Side.jpg

Can we have a little more effort put in to our 400 gem (£60) crown crate mounts like the old days?
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Different styles for different tastes. Many of the apex and especially radiant apex are way too gaudy for my taste. I prefer most of my mounts to not look out of place in Tamriel and one of my favorites is the Nenalata Ayleid horse.

(Edit: fixed typo)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on January 13, 2022 3:27PM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems ESO has a very small number of mounts and just reskins them to make new mounts.
  • Foto1
    Foto1
    ✭✭✭✭
    The mounts in the photo are not in order. iron atronach was recently, and it looks unusual
    PC/EU CP 1200+
    Artaxerks stamina dk khajiit
    Wayna Qhapaq magicka dk argonian
    Rorekur stamina sorc orc
    Maria de Medici magicka sorc breton
    Cordeilla stamina warden wood elf
    Quienn Gwendolen magicka warden high elf
    Nefertari stamina necro khajiit
    Boadicea Icenian magicka templar dark elf
    Clarice de Medici healer nb breton
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Different styles for different tastes. Many of the apex and especially radiant apex are way to gaudy for my taste. I prefer most of my mounts to not look out of place in Tamriel and one of my favorites is the Nenalata Ayleid horse.

But Apex mounts are supposed to be gaudy and the whole point of a season theme, even many of the standard looking mounts had a particle poof entrance and animation, and recently just fade into existence.

Older "normal mounts" like the nord frost mounts with braids had significant work done to make them unique, look at all the hair and cloth rags and adornments on the wolf and horse compared to other normal mounts.

Plus they sell very plane Jane mounts all the time in the fine tier or regular crown store.
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Foto1 wrote: »
    The mounts in the photo are not in order. iron atronach was recently, and it looks unusual

I rearranged them slightly to emphasise the point, but the general order is still there, wacky sprigan dwemer and atronach mounts earlier and "I went into Photoshop, added a layer and airbrushed some purple sparkles on it" of the Celestial meanwhile the Radiant Apex celestial has a shader that looks like you are staring into a black hole filled with nebula, it's not like they are not making awesome mounts, it's just that they are saving them for people who will drop £250 on crown crates per season.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Different styles for different tastes. Many of the apex and especially radiant apex are way to gaudy for my taste. I prefer most of my mounts to not look out of place in Tamriel and one of my favorites is the Nenalata Ayleid horse.

I agree.

I never buy crates but back when we got free ones periodically I was actually relieved I didn't get an apex mount other than the psijic horse, because it's about the only one I really liked and it would be a shame to have something I know is rare and desirable to other players but which I would never use.

The more recent crates have had more I actually like and would consider using. I've been very tempted to use some of my seals for one of the ones in the current crates (probably the horse or wolf), but I want to save them for ones I definitely like from past crates, like the xanmeer senche-lizard or one of the Ayleid mounts.

The various atronach ones are probably my least favourite, along with the skeletal/zombie ones from Halloween crates. I realise that's just my personal tastes and other people will like them, but I can't imagine ever having a character they'd look right for.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, they are the same reskins they have always been. Some are glowy weird atronach stuff, and some are less flashy.

People have varied taste and not everyone want the shadow farting, sparkly nonsense etc. Not very fond of apex mounts because of them, so I much prefer the less flashy ones like Nenalata Ayleid, Akaviri Potentate, Grinning Terror, Baandari, Frostbane, and Lizard ones.

Edit: typo.
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on January 13, 2022 3:37PM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Iron Atro is a reskin of Storm Atro for the most part, look at the tail.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ll counter this by saying that this is the only set of Apex mounts I’ve ever wanted. I have several others I got from crates (storm atro, wild hunt, Psijic, at least one other that I don’t even remember) and I don’t use them on any character or even as furnishing. But these celestial ones have me considering cashing in gems and endeavor seals for a guar and horse.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, they are the same reskins they have always been. Some are glowy weird atronach stuff, and some are less flashy.

People have varied taste and not everyone want the shadow farting, sparkly nonsense etc. Not very fond of apex mounts because of them, so I much prefer the less flashy ones like Nenalata Ayleid, Akaviri Potentate, Grinning Terror, Baandari, Frostbane, and Lizard ones.

If this thread was a poll asking "Do you like Atronach mounts" then your reply might have been on topic, there is an abundance of normal looking mounts from various sources that you can purchase, this thread is about Price creeping what used to be an Apex mount into the Radiant Apex price category.
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Different styles for different tastes. Many of the apex and especially radiant apex are way too gaudy for my taste. I prefer most of my mounts to not look out of place in Tamriel and one of my favorites is the Nenalata Ayleid horse.

(Edit: fixed typo)

The Nenalata Aylied horse is just the White Spotted Courser in a new hat, A 1200 (also was 100 Crown Gems once) crown mount (roughly £8 / $11) not a 400 gem (5000-20,000 Crowns depending on RNG mount) This is the point of this thread, price creep inflation.
    https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/File:ON-mount-White_Spotted_Courser.jpg
    Edited by Lapin_Logic on January 13, 2022 5:22PM
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    I’ll counter this by saying that this is the only set of Apex mounts I’ve ever wanted. I have several others I got from crates (storm atro, wild hunt, Psijic, at least one other that I don’t even remember) and I don’t use them on any character or even as furnishing. But these celestial ones have me considering cashing in gems and endeavor seals for a guar and horse.

If the purple mist/star nebula had been a moving effect similar to the templar aura or the red glow your character gets when buff are applied I would have agreed, but when I previewed it and saw that the mount had just rolled in some purple dust I couldn't justify the price tier, especially given how insanely good the Radiant Apex Celestial looks.

In Unity engine I can add an effect like the templars to my VRChat avatar by dropping in Poyomi Toon shader and a mask layer or add an emitter with a star twinkle texture, it just feels lazy to just be a "import black mount, Add layer, click air brush, spray random purple, export".

I do more work than that for my Second Life Mesh Builds, It's not £100/$150 worth of work so why do they want us to pay that for them?
    Edited by Lapin_Logic on January 13, 2022 5:41PM
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know what this iguana mount is? I don't have it.

YCePJKc.jpeg

Edited by SkaraMinoc on January 13, 2022 10:47PM
    PC NA
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, OP: they've kept all the snazzy designs for the radiand apex and the gem-exclusives, it's been a few crate seasons now that the -still rare and still expensive- apex category has been lacklustre compared to past seasons.
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Does anyone know what this iguana mount is? I don't have it.

YCePJKc.jpeg

Its the "Wolf-Lizard Steed" from the Xanmeer crown crates
    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/xanmeer-crown-crates/

when you "Rear up/Howl" they spit hist sap and glow with splats of hist sap on them.
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After removing a handful of comments, we would like to remind everyone that Flaming and Baiting are both violations of the Community Guidelines, and are stated as follows:
    • Flaming: It’s okay to disagree and debate on the official ESO forums, but we do ask that you keep all disagreements civil, constructive, and on-topic. If a discussion gets heated and turns into a debate, remember that you should stick to debating the post and/or thread topic. It is never appropriate to resort to personal comments or jabs about those participating in the thread discussion.
    • Trolling or Baiting: The act of trolling is defined as something that is created for the intent to provoke conflict, shock others, or to elicit a strong negative or emotional reaction. It’s okay and very normal to disagree with others, and even to debate, but provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable in the official The Elder Scrolls Online community. If you do not have something constructive or meaningful to add to a discussion, we strongly recommend you refrain from posting in that thread, and find another discussion to participate in instead. It is also not constructive or helpful to publicly call out others and accuse them of trolling, or call them a troll—please refrain from doing so. If you genuinely believe someone is trolling, please report the post or thread to the ESO Team, and leave it at that.
    If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please take a few moments to review them here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I rearranged them slightly to emphasise the point

If you have to rearrange the order to show they're getting less creative over time, they're not actually getting less creative over time, sorry.
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I rearranged them slightly to emphasise the point

If you have to rearrange the order to show they're getting less creative over time, they're not actually getting less creative over time, sorry.

If the order was storm Atro, sprigan, flame atro skeleton, frostborn, ....white, grey, black, white, reskin storm atro to an iron atro, black, black with purple spots.

Then they started being less creative after Frostborn and makes the ordering after that pointless as they are all equaly lack lustre, you know this.
    Edited by Lapin_Logic on January 14, 2022 3:29AM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If this thread was a poll asking "Do you like Atronach mounts" then your reply might have been on topic, there is an abundance of normal looking mounts from various sources that you can purchase, this thread is about Price creeping what used to be an Apex mount into the Radiant Apex price category.

I gave my opinion along with a comment about the topic, which is that no, they are not becoming more bland. They are just varying in themes. And that one person's bland is another person's flashy.

As others pointed out with your own comment, you have even arranged the order, which shows they are not becoming more bland. They just vary by being more "flashy" during some seasons and less so during others. The first two pictures are one of the first apex mounts and one of the latests for example.

Edit:typo
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on January 15, 2022 12:54AM
  • Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I gave my opinion along with a comment about the topic, which is that no, they are not becoming more bland. They are just varying in themes. And that one person's bland is another person's flashy.

As others pointed out with your own comment, you have even arranged the order, which shows they are not becoming more bland. They just vary by being more "flashy" during some seasons and less so during others. The first two pictures are one of the first apex mounts and one of the latests for example.

The second picture is a reskin of the first model, it would be the equivalent of taking last year's Red Ferrari, painting it White and calling the motoring press to reveal your "New model", it's not original, it is the Simpsons meme of Malibu Stacy in a new hat, not $150 worth of work.
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭

now seems that Exclusively the Radiant Apex mounts are the only unique ones.

Oh no how could they do such a thing that was completely unexpected!
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The second picture is a reskin of the first model, it would be the equivalent of taking last year's Red Ferrari, painting it White and calling the motoring press to reveal your "New model", it's not original, it is the Simpsons meme of Malibu Stacy in a new hat, not $150 worth of work.

A lot
    of them are reskins. Always has been. Even Radiants are often reskins with just some effect smacked onto them.