Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best skills for high lag

Larcomar
Larcomar
✭✭✭✭✭
I think we all know some skills tend to be a problem in lag. I find once it hits a certain level I struggle to get stuff with a channel time like dizzy and snipe to go off consistently, while gap closers, but particularly ambush, tend to just stop working. And if I hit undo by mistake? It's 30 seconds of crazy.

I saw someone theother day advocating stuff like dagons + carve in place of dizzy, and obv some people just resort to spamming bombard. Are there any skills which people find more reliable in laggy conditions?

I'd guess that anything that's instacast, doesn't require a specific target and maybe has an aoe effect is going tobe more reliable. What's other's experience. Any particular lag defeating strategies?

• MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light or heavy attacks are the best skills to use when you have lag, especially with resto and lighting staves.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was running a shock heavy build but shock heavies seem borked at the moment. They just seem to .... keep on going. And whatever you do you're sort of moving around in slow motion with really silly anmation and a big old line of lightening back to you just in case peopel were struggling to target you. Which, given thatthose builds tend to be seriously squishy feels a bit... career limiting.... Maybe restos are better.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i find poison injection pretty reliable to use (which also helps to apply more plague too lol), ive always found arrow spray to be too short range in cyrodiil

ive found there are tiers of lag (at least how this affects me):
    • low lag: majority of skills work normally
    • medium lag: melee stops working (skills wont cast right, but ranged works fine, outside of snipe)
    • high lag: all skills and sometimes even light and heavy attacks stop working (if its this bad ill just go to IC or do something else in the game instead of get frustrated in cyro when i die because i literally cannot fight due to nothing working)
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on January 12, 2022 4:02PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AOE abilities that don't require a target are pretty easy to work with in lag.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »

It's impossible to stay on target with jabs in lags.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yep, spin2win, pulsar/ring, etc.

Proc sets seem to work 100% reguardless of lag.

• MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

And yet if you get 2-3 players using pulsar near each other you can cause further lag. Yeah...more lag.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was playing around with this last night - guild runs in prime time and lag got crazy. Switched over to AOE with pulsar as a spammable. Not great but it seemed to go off occasionally.

On the "hierarchy of lag" pt, there's obviously fine, obviously nothings going off, but I think there's something in the middle where the game just can't calculate whether a targeted ability should hit, esp if it's got a channel. Dswing, snipe .... nah. But just spam aoe, well I figure it lets it goes off and figures it'll worry about whether it hit later. God knows.

Seriously considering - if I go back into prime again - doing a one bar proc set build. I mean, it's great having your offensive bar and your defensive but it can be a tad irritating when you're stuck on one for five minutes. Ive got thunderbug, OS, and grothdar in chests - used to use it for RNDs. Slap it on, put maj resolve, major sorc and a heal fb and just spam pulsar over and over. High end gaming :(

Stam yeah maybe somethign like heavy syvarras, dagons and spin to win - or perhaps carve? Maybe running masters 2h with that... fun if you hit soemthing. Any advances?

Edited by Larcomar on January 19, 2022 10:51AM
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe threads like this one exists in a top MMO owned by Microsoft.
    Really "Skyrim Together" mod made by community is more appealing than ESO regarding bugs and lag.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    milllaurie wrote: »
    I can't believe threads like this one exists in a top MMO owned by Microsoft.
    Really "Skyrim Together" mod made by community is more appealing than ESO regarding bugs and lag.

Well... yeah. But think of it like that old chinese proverb. When zenimax serves you lemons, make lemonade.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And yet if you get 2-3 players using pulsar near each other you can cause further lag. Yeah...more lag.

Here is my theory on that.If you map bash to mouse wheel forward, you can bash so fast now (.3s) and queue so many bashes with a wheel spin, the server will kick you off for "excessive messaging".

Ball groups are doing the reverse, ball groups or any large encounter generates so many incoming messages to your client the server boots you. The server tcp stack and network cards probably get backed up in I/O wait state with a huge queue of messages to send to a huge number of clients and bingo bongo - server lag and ping increase.

Likely that was the thinking around the past pvp tests with aoe cooldowns, removing healing outside of your group, etc.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my theory on that.If you map bash to mouse wheel forward, you can bash so fast now (.3s) and queue so many bashes with a wheel spin, the server will kick you off for "excessive messaging".

Wouldn't happen unless your mouse is broken and sends *much* more events than it should.
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »

Wouldn't happen unless your mouse is broken and sends *much* more events than it should.

You'd be surprised. I've been kicked for spamming bash... while using a gamepad on PC! And it was reproducible too, although I haven't tried (getting kicked) in a while.

All you have to do is point the camera slightly downwards, hold the right-stick in one direction so that the camera spins 360 degrees, then just start spamming bash in circles. It definitely lets you bash a helluva lot faster than the game is supposed to allow. I've also been kicked for spamming bash while standing still but that was some time ago before they reduced bash cooldown.

So if a gamepad can pull off something like that that exceeds the message limit or w/e then I wouldn't doubt that a kb&m could pull off something like that too.

On topic: build tanky, heavy attacks, AOE, and proc sets are probably the best bet when dealing with the Major Lag debuff.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    N00BxV1 wrote: »

You'd be surprised.

I would, if I didn't encounter such a things already. And it comes down to finding an app (honestly not the easiest part with *** freemium malware apps) that logs keyboard/mouse/gamepad events and just see the volume of it. Oftentimes you don't even know that your controller sends like two hundred events per second, all other apps would resolve that more or less graciously.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    N00BxV1 wrote: »

You'd be surprised. I've been kicked for spamming bash... while using a gamepad on PC! And it was reproducible too, although I haven't tried (getting kicked) in a while.

Same here. If you map to mouse wheel, you can spam it fast enough to get kicked with an "excessive messaging" error. I've also gotten the same kick clearing notifications as fast as I can.