The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why arent character renames free?

U_D_D_I_N_R
U_D_D_I_N_R
✭✭✭
I think character renames should be free like all other mmos do this but with atleast 3 or 6 months to change it again, it aint even worth buying since i play on console and its very dead at the moment. I only like this stuff its for aesthetic reasons, i fairly accept costumes and some *** pet rat & other majority of the things in there store to cost, but not something like character rename.
  • Mushroomancer
    Mushroomancer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because, in the famous words of Mr. Krabs: "I like money".
    PC | EU 1600+ CP

Chews-On-Shrooms - Argonian (EP) | Healer Warden
    I know I have a problem, leave me alone:

Nirya Urayel - Altmer (EP) | Healer/Magicka Templar
    Ulen Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Nightblade
    Anise Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Dragonknight
    Vivienne Rielle - Breton (EP) | Hybrid Healer/Magicka Necromancer
    Gaspar Rielle - Breton (DC) | Magicka Sorcerer
    Ulfgar the Foul - Nord (EP) | Tank Necromancer
    Plays-With-Chains - Argonian (EP) | Tank Dragonknight
    Sonje the Wild - Nord (EP) | Tank Warden
    Brutus Lovidicus - Imperial (EP) | Tank Nightblade
    Velms Ienith - Dunmer (EP) | Tank Sorcerer
    Cassius Lanius - Imperial (EP) | Tank/Stamina Templar
    Shakar-gro-Khazgur - Orc (DC) | Stamina Dragonknight
    Liette Nightwind - Bosmer (AD) | Stamina Nightblade
    Ja'khar the Salty - Khajiit (EP) | Stamina Necromancer
    Saadia al-Tava - Redguard (EP) | Stamina Sorcerer
    Gwinas Hemp-Burner - Bosmer (EP) | Stamina Warden
    Grand Master Crafter, All Dungeon HM up to Stonethorn, vCrag HM, vDSA, vMA, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vHOF HM, vAS+2, Gryphon Heart, vBRP, vSS HM (Extinguisher of Flames),
    vKA HM (Shield of the North), vRG 1/3HM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only MMO I've played where it was free it's because it wasn't officially a service they offered - you had to contact Customer Support and persuade them you had a good reason for needing to change it.

Any game where it was just a token you picked up or you spoke to an NPC or whatever you had to pay for it. I think that's partially because they know they can make a profit from it and partially to discourage people doing it too often.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    this would've been really cool for me who's probably bought around 8 name change tokens (with ESO plus crowns, but still). I don't even use them to change my characters' NAME names. I give all my characters a first name + title and I end up changing the title part.

Funnily the last time I changed a name, it didn't even fully change. It shows my character's old name in the alliance war ranks and stuff like that. It's been like 6 months since the change too LOL I kinda want half the crowns back for that
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know a single mmo that has had free name change.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's not so much that it isn't free, it's the damn price!, it's rediculously high, if it were 1000 crowns, people wouldn't be critisizing it so much
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I hate that name changing and changing your appearance is crown store exclusive. The latter especially.
  • JJOtterBear
    JJOtterBear
    ✭✭✭✭
    short answer: capitalism