The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

XBox S and no disk drive

remo51731
remo51731
Soul Shriven
Xbox S question

I have been an avid ESO player for years, and now that I’ve purchased an Xbox S with no disk drive, It seems I’m not longer able to play unless I buy this thing AGAIN. Please, someone tell me that there is a quick fix/patch for loyal users who have purchased the game on disk and now want to play on the S? Surely I don’t have to pay another $60 bucks and re download EVERYTHING again.

Help me,

Remo
Edited by ZOS_Bill on January 7, 2022 12:01AM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume you can download ESO after you log int to your Xbox account?
    Newer owned an modern console but assume its has an my games catalog like steam.
    On pc bought be game while in beta I have to download from the ESO site.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go from disc to no disc you do indeed need to rebuy the base game. You don't need to buy anything else as its all linked to your account.

When I upgrade from ps4 to ps5 I decided to go discless and so can confirm this approach works
    Edited by hafgood on January 3, 2022 11:27PM
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    sorry to ask... what's a disk drive?

haven't used those since the 90's
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're not technically buying it from ZOS, you're buying the digital license from Microsoft. It's I guess their anti-piracy policy. The physical disk acts as a license, telling your Xbox that the game installed on your drive really is yours. If you don't (or can't) use a disk, then you need a digital license tied to your Xbox account, which you need to buy.

If you really can't stomach purchasing the license then you shouldn't have jumped for a Series S and waited for the Series X to be more available. (which is what I'm doing)
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry to ask... what's a disk drive?

haven't used those since the 90's

We need more detail to know what joke you're making. Are you going for "physical media is an ancient dinosaur", or is it "you spelled disc wrong"?

(if it's the physical media one, you know that every console in the last generation had a drive, and half the models of this gen do. My PC has one, and I was just using an external one one a Mac this afternoon - to do another "archaic" thing: importing a CD for my mother. ;) )
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. Yeah.... I've got a 1TB SSD, plus TWO 3TB HDDs plus a 3TB external DD. And you know what's really sad? It's almost all full.... Over all of those, I probably have less than 1TB total available space.

Everything's so huge these days....
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh wow, sorry to hear this, yea your def going to be needing the base game, and unfortunately the sale on xbox is over, so we talking full price ouch, I would wait for the next sale, and continue playing on regular xbox if you still have access to it
    your dlc is tied to account if you purchased any, you don't lose it, but to access it you need the base game if I'm not mistaken

my box has a drive, but I yet to buy any physical games
    Edited by Blinx on January 4, 2022 12:40AM
  • Balibe
    Balibe
    ✭✭✭✭
    From the Bethesda Next-Gen Upgrade FAQ .....

HOW WILL I RECEIVE THIS UPGRADE IF I HAVE A GAME’S PHYSICAL VERSION AND PURCHASE A DIGITAL-ONLY NEXT GEN CONSOLE?
    Owners of physical copies of The Elder Scrolls Online or DOOM Eternal will not be able to upgrade if purchasing the digital-only next generation console.

Right now on xbox.com, the digital version of the base game with Morrowind is only $19.99. All your existing chapter/add-on purchases should remain if on the same xbox account.
  • Sawbones194
    Sawbones194
    ✭✭✭
    remo51731 wrote: »
    Xbox S question

I have been an avid ESO player for years, and now that I’ve purchased an Xbox S with no disk drive, It seems I’m not longer able to play unless I buy this thing AGAIN. Please, someone tell me that there is a quick fix/patch for loyal users who have purchased the game on disk and now want to play on the S? Surely I don’t have to pay another $60 bucks and re download EVERYTHING again.

Help me,

Remo

Can't do anything about it but you can subscribe to Gamepass for 1$ in first month (Up to 13$ after that) and can use Xcloud to stream the game so you don't need to download the whole game
  • Dolphinsgal
    Dolphinsgal
    ✭✭✭
    If you have an external hard drive, move the game from your old console to the external drive, then plug the drive into the series s and move the game from the external drive to the internal drive of the s.
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Number one rule to owning disk copies of games, always keep consoles with disc drawers.

As quoted from DBZA’s Android 16: “Physical media is forever, Buy Laser-disc.

Consoles without a disc drawer are basically half-scams in a nutshell.
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't do anything about it but you can subscribe to Gamepass for 1$ in first month (Up to 13$ after that) and can use Xcloud to stream the game so you don't need to download the whole game

This converts your existing Gold Memberrship into Gamepass Membership(or at least it use to) he might not want to, However Ithe base game was free to play on Gamepass, and I mean base no Morrowind when I had it, but it's what got me hooked since it started me off in the prison and I got to play the game as intended, prior I was dabblin on and off in Elsweyr on the PS4 semi confused

• FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Portable disk drive. I don't see why this wouldn't work
  • griffrawk
    griffrawk
    ✭✭
    Portable disk drive. I don't see why this wouldn't work

Because the license to run the game is on the bit of plastic. All you'd do with a portable drive is transfer the executable. In the absence of a downloaded license linked to an online account the box won't run the game without a 'physical' license.

All the in-game content authorisation is attached to your zOS account and wouldn't be affected, but you need the license. No disk slot means a rebuy.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, the issue is that for consoles with physical media copies of games, the "I own this" is on the disc. So you need to keep it in the drive to play it. (it's why you can sell the discs back to Gamestop/etc, and why they can then sell them to new people.)

So if you want to switch to digital, you need to buy a new license to replace the one (the disc) that's going away.

Which is part of the reason that they came up with DLC (and why there's discs with little code-cards for optional extra stuff when you buy a new copy; and why "console and game bundles" now come with download codes instead of resellable discs).

edit: I ended up buying a second copy of PS4 Fallout 76 during a sale half a year ago, because I wanted to stop having to switch the disc in to do 'daily login' things, while still playing other games.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on January 4, 2022 11:28AM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @remo51731

As mentioned in the posts above, you will need to buy a digital version of ESO if your console no longer has a disc drive for your disc copy of ESO.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post