The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A little rant of fate and manipulation

Sawbones194
Sawbones194
✭✭✭
First about me and my experience with ESO: I started the game day-one on the Xbox one and played it very, very intensively. At the time, I finished all three alliances before pausing the game because of other games.

I switched to Google Stadia a few years later and played through all of the chapters and DLC there. At that time I already had the goal of buying a very specific house for my orc-character. The Forgemaster Falls. I had ideas to place a huge Malacath statue under the waterfall, to build footbridges to open up the sea in front of the mainland. But I never got the chance to buy it on Stadia because the house wasn't on sale.

Then when I recently got an Xbox Series, I went back to the xbox. I created a completely new character and now wanted to create my "real" character. The one I can do everything in the game. PVE, PvP, main game and DLC. I've been planning to buy Forgemaster Falls for months because it suits my orc character. I've collected countless craft templates and now the time has come: Forgemaster Falls will be on sale soon and I don't have the money for crowns this month.

The reasons why are complicated and I don't want to go into too much detail, just to the point that my diabetes has resulted in an increased financial burden. I don't have to hunger! My existence is assured and my health will soon be better. But my hobbies had to take a deep cut. I would not have any problems with it if I could buy the Forgemaster Falls next month or the month after. But I can't. The game does not allow me that.

That things like houses, which is very important for immersive-loving players like myself, keep rotating is a painful matter. I usually don't mind the very aggressive monetization of ESO. After all, that's why I get a new chapter every year. But this month this monetization is hurting. Who knows when I will get the chance to buy the Forgemaster Falls again?

Since Elder Scrolls 3 I'm a fan of the orsimer. And having your own little "orc village" has always been such a cool idea.

I'm not alone with it, am I? Do you also have houses that you have been waiting for a long time? Did you just never return to the store? Are some of you already planning to buy that one particular home? Have you already prepared everything for it or don't you care about the houses?
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This FOMO marketing scheme is painful, and I'd love to know if this is helping to make more of a profit for ZOS... or reducing it. It's leading to a lot of people stocking up on Crowns during sales in case something's going to be available, and it also means that people aren't able to buy things when they want to.

I get that FOMO is supposed to make people likely to impulse buy, but there are just as many people who are trying something and then right away think "ooh, I need this thing for a story now!" and will buy it immediately... if it were available.

This is Forgemaster's first return since it released, so it doesn't look like it'll come back anytime soon. Fortunately it's actually one of the cheaper houses (6200-7800) and Crowns are still on sale for another day as well. You might be able to see if you can buy it from Crown sellers - I know they usually don't sell large 10k+ houses, but people buy 5k things all the time. No guarantees and I've never used it, but it's an option.

You could also try contacting support, but that may not get results.
    Edited by tomofhyrule on January 3, 2022 10:49PM
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭
    That's exactly why i was saying and i will continue to say that content, that is only available once a year is a very bad practice.
    Edited by ive_wonder on January 3, 2022 10:48PM
  • Sawbones194
    Sawbones194
    ✭✭✭
    ive_wonder wrote: »
    That's exactly why i was saying and i will continue to say that content, that is only available once a year is a very bad practice.

I get the idea behind seasonal stuff like Christmas items and so on. But player houses are a very important part of the game, at least for me
  • ive_wonder
    ive_wonder
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, same
  • Sawbones194
    Sawbones194
    ✭✭✭
    This . Fortunately it's actually one of the cheaper houses (6200-7800) and Crowns are still on sale for another day as well.
    Not here in Europe I'm afraid. The sale is gone already.
    You might be able to see if you can buy it from Crown sellers - I know they usually don't sell large 10k+ houses, but people buy 5k things all the time. No guarantees and I've never used it, but it's an option.

I don't have the amount of gold for a 6k crowns item. I am not even close to it (50k gold at the moment)
    You could also try contacting support, but that may not get results.

Don't know that I should tell them. It's not like they just gift it to me.
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I’d like to get the Markarth house with ESO+ crowns I’ve saved up. It’s so sad that they go waaay to the extreme with the FOMO stuff. If they’re going to charge ridiculous amounts for these empty doll-like houses that feature little function, then let me buy them whenever.

Like why is the Clockwork Observatory the only dlc manor house that stays in circulation 24/7?
    Edited by HappyTheCamper on January 4, 2022 1:58AM
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I said it often and I will repeat it, expensive stuff like houses should be always available in the store because of how expensive they are and each year there get added more and more so chance gets slimmer for old houses to return or you wait for years.

Housing is something you need certain inspiration for and ideas what to do with it.
    FOMO works better with cheaper stuff like a 3k crown mount because its not expensive at the first look and people make impulse buys specially it they own such amount of crowns.
    But a house for 10 or 14k crowns no one makes an impulse buy.People who buy homes have thought it through before buying such an expensive item and if you have no idea what to do with a house you dont buy it.
    Or Jimmy is unlucky and waited for a house to return for 2 years and exactly the 2 weeks it will be back on the store Jimmy has an expensive car repair and cant afford it, meaning he has to wait another 2 years till it gets back to the store.

Seriously,houses are just too expensive to be time limited items.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • Sawbones194
    Sawbones194
    ✭✭✭
    Update: I might be able to buy the house! Which is fantastic but I still fell quite down to support these kinds of monetization.