The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Easy way to farm crafting styles?

YstradClud
YstradClud
✭✭✭✭
I still can't do a lot of writs because I haven't unlocked styles. Why is it so hard to find unlock styles? Is there something I am missing in trying to farm these?

Best Answers

• Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Farming styles entirely on your own is not a quick task.Though the anniversary events in spring usually drop a ton of random motifs, which does help.

Outside that the outfit pages can come from a variety of sources, but farming them takes time.

Running certain vet dungeons can drop styles from that dungeon, doing dailies can get certain styles as well. Though the dailies for most new styles have hidden 20-hour cooldowns which encourage you to farm day after day.

It's nearly always more time efficient to purchase from guild traders when you see them for decent prices.
    Edited by Fennwitty on December 30, 2021 8:49PM
    PC NA
    Answer ✓
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This page tells you where each motif comes from:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Crafting_Motifs

Some are easy to farm, some are hard. The drop rates vary as well, so sometimes a hard thing with a good drop rate ends up easier overall than an easy thing with a bad drop rate.

Other than event related styles (like skinchanger right now) they're hard to find by randomly browsing guild traders.
    Answer ✓
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You farm gold. Then you spend your hard earned gold on motifs from the Guild Traders.
    Unless you know by heart what certain pages drops where, buying them pages is the most rational way to get motifs.
    PC EU
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    It's nearly always more time efficient to purchase from guild traders when you see them for decent prices.

Thanks. I did manage to pick up a motif I was after cheap from a guild trader but some of the crafting style books I'm chasing seem to be really rare as I don't even see them in any of the guild traders.
  • Noggin_the_Nog
    Noggin_the_Nog
    ✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »

I assume you are chasing Motifs for Master Writs.

It is always best to learn Motifs on one character and sell duplicates. Done this with three GMCs on different accounts. Using Tamriel Trade Centre will help finding Motifs, but it is a long process and expensive. All my other characters learn the basic Motifs which increases Master Writ drop rate from completing normal Daily Crafting Writs.

Having several characters doing daily normal crafting writs will increase your chances of getting Master Writs. Alchemy and Enchanting drop regularly for me - several a day.

If your goal is to gain Writ Vouchers you can always buy Master Writs from Guild Traders - low value (6 to 9 vouchers) sell for around 2k. Do these and keep the unlearnt ones until you get the Motifs.

There is one annual event which drops Motifs - I've forgotten which one. Is it the Anniversary one in May?

Good luck.

• freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you are chasing motifs for the "learn 50 styles" for the Grand Master Crafter achievement there are many styles that are considerably cheaper to buy than others.

If you are after specific pages for Master Writs, then what I tend to do is either stash the writs until I come across that page or sell the writ and just do the ones I know the style for.

At Guild Traders you can always just search all motifs and go down the list buying the ones you don't already know, ofc make sure you are on the character that is learning them! It's surprising how quickly the number of styles learned add up by doing this. 🙂
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YstradClud wrote: »
    Thanks. I did manage to pick up a motif I was after cheap from a guild trader but some of the crafting style books I'm chasing seem to be really rare as I don't even see them in any of the guild traders.
    Maybe you know this, but since you used the word book, other than the first 14 styles and a couple of others bought from the writ vendor, styles mostly drop in pages, not the entire book. Style books are incredibly rare and sell all over the place in value, often above the cost of all the individual pages. If you're on PC the tamriel trading center website can help you search for particular ones. You don't need to install the corresponding addon to use the webpage.
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭
    YstradClud wrote: »
    some of the crafting style books I'm chasing seem to be really rare as I don't even see them in any of the guild traders.
    Maybe you know this, but since you used the word book, other than the first 14 styles and a couple of others bought from the writ vendor, styles mostly drop in pages, not the entire book. Style books are incredibly rare and sell all over the place in value, often above the cost of all the individual pages. If you're on PC the tamriel trading center website can help you search for particular ones. You don't need to install the corresponding addon to use the webpage.

Yes it's the books I am talking about. They are the ones that allow me to craft that particular style (not just apply at the outfit station). I play both PC and console so I'll check that out as well. Thanks for your help.
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both the book and the pages allow you to craft a given style - but only on the character that read the book. However, once you read read a book or page on one character, all characters on your account can use the style at the outfit station
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭
    joerginger wrote: »
    Both the book and the pages allow you to craft a given style

Well I am still farming the Skinchanger style book from the event because apparently I can't do my writ because I haven't unlocked it but I have farmed all the individual motifs before?

MLQS9CE.jpg
    Edited by YstradClud on January 2, 2022 8:44AM
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you read the book or the pages on the character you're trying to do the crafting with? As I said, all characters can use the style at the outfit station, but only the one who actually read the page can use the style for crafting.
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you read the book or the pages on the character you're trying to do the crafting with? As I said, all characters can use the style at the outfit station, but only the one who actually read the page can use the style for crafting.

I only really play one character. Only other character I have is a level 30 Orc Dragonknight I rarely log into. Must of got really unlucky to get the motif on him.
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you complete the Mages Guild quest line on a character, you can check which pages from lore books the character knows. You can find a new section in your journal named "Crafting Motifs" that lists which and how many of the 14 pages your character has already read of any given style book.

Update: The section isn't called "Eidetic Memory" as I had originally thought.
    Edited by joerginger on January 2, 2022 1:01PM
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you complete the Mages Guild quest line on a character, you can check which pages from lore books the character knows. You can find a new section in your journal named "Eidetic Memory" that lists which and how many of the 14 pages your character has already read of a given style book.

Ok well looks like I must of got unlucky and my Orc learnt it because my main only has 12/14 Skinchanger and is missing the gloves. I haven't done the Mages Guild questline on the Orc though. Thanks for your help.

UwuwWUw.jpg
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Make loads of gold, walk to guild store, buy motif, make outfit 😇