The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is there a point to still doing New Life Writs?

Remathilis
Remathilis
✭✭✭✭✭
Is there any point to doing New Life (Imperial/Deep Winter) Writs if you have the Crystalfrost skin and all the Skaal and Rhkindaleft pages? Most of them require some drain on valuable crafting materials, and the style pages don't seem to sell for much. So, before I go on a deleting spree, is there any reason I should be doing or selling these that I missed?
Edited by Remathilis on December 30, 2021 4:28PM

Best Answer

• Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Imperial Charity Writs can earn you some good gold, since many of them are a lot easier to craft (single furniture/green foods et cetera), and since they are rarer while being in higher demand their price reflects those two factors. As to the rest of them, they aren't of much use for a crafter. As far as I know, they give the same XP as regular master writs, but they often cost a lot more and give fewer vouchers. Those you'll probably be better off giving away or destroying.
    Answer ✓
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You get another voucher. They add up.

If you don't want to deal with them, offer them in zone or to guildies. Someone out there might still need the achievement, or pages.
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remathilis wrote: »
    Is there any point to doing New Life (Imperial/Deep Winter) Writs if you have the Crystalfrost skin and all the Skaal and Rhkindaleft pages? Most of them require some drain on valuable crafting materials, and the style pages don't seem to sell for much. So, before I go on a deleting spree, is there any reason I should be doing or selling these that I missed?

Save them for next year, and sell them just before the next New Life event goes Live.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »

If you don't want to deal with them, offer them in zone or to guildies. Someone out there might still need the achievement, or pages.

Except that the cost of the mats for many of these writs is not equivalent to the reward of one voucher, especially anything that asks for furnishings that include 12 items made with costly heartwood. They aren't worth it if you're looking for vouchers.

Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Except that the cost of the mats for many of these writs is not equivalent to the reward of one voucher, especially anything that asks for furnishings that include 12 items made with costly heartwood. They aren't worth it if you're looking for vouchers.

Heartwood isn't hard to find. The only thing I ran out of this year was nickel, which I had to buy from merchants at 15 gold a pop.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mark them as junk with the exception of the Imperial food based ones for which I have excess ingredients I never use in normal game play. I've reached the point where the only daily I care about is the first one for event tickets and frequently logoff once it is completed.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Heartwood isn't hard to find. The only thing I ran out of this year was nickel, which I had to buy from merchants at 15 gold a pop.

It really depends on what you want to prioritize, but the truth is if you really wanted vouchers, it would be better to sell off the heartwood you find then use that money to purchase master writs that have a better mat/reward ratio when it comes to vouchers. The same amount of mats a person uses doing one imperial writ for one voucher could net them so many more vouchers doing regular master writs.

I have nothing against doing these writs for vouchers if people really want to, but I always regretted using so much heartwood on these writs thinking that they were great to get vouchers back when I was new, then realizing I could have gotten many more vouchers if I'd only known the real cost of my mats and my effort gathering them. I like to make sure people are well informed in case anyone new is reading the thread, because IMO, heartwood is a difficult resource to recuperate in any meaningful quantity unless you want to spend a lot of time gathering. (Granted, I like furnishing houses, so I go through the stuff like water and refuse to use it for anything else.)

Now, the provisioning imperial writs are pretty easy and the resources they consume are far less costly and rare, so I'd say those are certainly worth it. But as far as the heartwood writs are concerned, unless you really need the motifs (which are valued far less than the heartwood itself on the market) or really need the skins/achievements, they don't seem worth it.

ETA: To put it into perspective, heartwood is worth about 1,700 gold each on the market right now, while many of the Rkindaleft style pages that come from the writs are worth only 400 gold. If you do a writ that requires 12 heartwood to complete, you are paying nearly 20,000 gold for something you could have bought on the market for 400. With the sale of a single piece of heartwood, you could buy 3 or more of the style pages...while if you do the writs with heartwood you'd pay nearly 61,000 gold by using up heartwood you could have sold.
    Edited by ArchangelIsraphel on December 31, 2021 2:24AM
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have made about 250k gold. So ya. Also the dailies are way to much exp for so little effort.
    Edited by Nanfoodle on December 31, 2021 2:02AM
  • drunkendx
    drunkendx
    ✭✭✭✭
    XP?
  • Wargazsem
    Wargazsem
    ✭✭
    They are like a multivitamin....one a day...