The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What is a good Ceiling/Roof for Leyawiin Castle?

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I am building my first ever from the ground up structure in Doomchar Plateau. It is a castle using the Leyawiin huge platform for the floors and the Leyawiin walls. My problem is finding a good stone ceiling/roof that matches the color of the rest.

I considered flipping the huge platform upside down but it's so thick and I don't want it sticking up that high. I tried the castle walls flipped on their side but they aren't long enough and left gaps between them. I could just overlap another wall to fill the gap but that is using several more items, and I'd rather use a piece that fits better.

Any ideas?
PCNA
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope people will post suggestion and I hope that you will also post what you create! I’m bookmarking this post as I am frequently stumped by ceilings / roofs as well. I’m very glad for the new Deadlands style pieces, but those will not help with buildings in very different style… But speaking of different styles, might the Markarth Floor, Large Square perhaps supplemented by Large Rectangle pieces work? They are not too thick and I think could complement the Leyawiin pieces especially if you used some Markarth pieces elsewhere in your build.
  • Ashryn
    Ashryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure wish that they would come out with good roof pieces to craft! I find them hard to craft well too!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't tried the Markarth Floor but I will. Thanks for the idea!
    PCNA
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what kind of a shape you want to make, but you could use something like two of the leyawiin stairs mirrored on the sides to create a triangular roof, or the leyawiin curved walls for making arches, or the leyawiin walls and tourettes to make a flat roof enclosed by tourettes.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    I'm not sure what kind of a shape you want to make, but you could use something like two of the leyawiin stairs mirrored on the sides to create a triangular roof, or the leyawiin curved walls for making arches, or the leyawiin walls and tourettes to make a flat roof enclosed by tourettes.

I just want a flat thin roof. I do have turrets at the 4 corners now.
    Edited by SilverBride on January 4, 2022 4:17PM
    PCNA
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »

I just want a flat thin roof. I do have tourettes at the 4 corners now.

The leyawiin castle wall would be the best in terms of material matching and thiness. But if the shape doesnt fit well, you could try any of the other platforms and floors: markarth, elsweyr (both stone and wooden), alinor, but the finish will be different, also, the solitude floor turned upside down, on its wooden side, might be a good one to try as well.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a look at those. Thanks.
    PCNA
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a look at those. Thanks.

No problem--if you're on pc and have the pts, might be worth trying options there so that you don't spend a bunch of materials making stuff that might not work out.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest problem is finding a ceiling the same dimensions as the floor. Otherwise the ceiling is either short causing me to have to overlap pieces which doesn't always look good, or the ceiling is much larger, necessitating overlapping again and hanging over the sides.

I don't understand why they made flooring and a few castle walls but no ceiling. The floor is just way too thick to look good as a ceiling. If I drop it down to make it look shorter from the outside it looks cramped inside.

We need a real ceiling for these castles.
    PCNA
  • Jaclynn
    Jaclynn
    ✭✭✭
    Try Solitude floor, has a wood texture on the bottom which makes a nice ceiling, and it's not too thick.
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."

PC/NA
    @Jaclynn
    GM "The Rogue's Bounty"
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate all the suggestions but nothing I have tried has worked so far. They are either too short so I have to overlap them which causes flickering, or they are too wide so they hang way over the sides. The only one that is the right size is the leyawiin castle floor that is very thick.

We need roof/ceiling options specifically for the castle.
    PCNA
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate all the suggestions but nothing I have tried has worked so far. They are either too short so I have to overlap them which causes flickering, or they are too wide so they hang way over the sides. The only one that is the right size is the leyawiin castle floor that is very thick.

They will only flicker if they are sharing exact pixels. Move one up or Down an unnoticeable smidge and there won’t be flickers.

PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They will only flicker if they are sharing exact pixels. Move one up or Down an unnoticeable smidge and there won’t be flickers.

I haven't had any luck with that.
    Edited by SilverBride on January 4, 2022 7:30PM
    PCNA
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1w0oz3kl2472.png

this is the best leyawiin rooftop i've found, using solitude pieces.

There's also lean-tos, brass pieces from clockwork, etc.

if you used EHT to make the roof, simply select the flickering item and hit up or down arrows on the selector at the lowest distance setting and it'll literally move it a pixel and fix your problem.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • Horny_Poney
    Horny_Poney
    ✭✭✭
    What worked great for me is “Solitude Shed, Wood Lean-To”, but it may not be the best fit for the Leyawiin style.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I haven't had any luck with that.

Sometimes it takes some tinkering to get this to work for me, I haven’t done roofs but other items overlap in the same way. Changing the angle slightly (maybe in one or more dimensions) or increasing or decreasing the overlap slightly can help. I’m on console so I’m thankful for the new and improved precision editor, it would have been impossible to do before that.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you used EHT to make the roof, simply select the flickering item and hit up or down arrows on the selector at the lowest distance setting and it'll literally move it a pixel and fix your problem.

I put a temporary wooden roof up using the wooden Elsweyr wall until I find something permanent. I followed your advice and did get it to stop flickering. :)
    PCNA