The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Purple vs Gold jewelry - DPS difference calculation

Plectro
Plectro
✭✭
Hey, so I did some math to calculate the expected DPS output if you upgrade your Purple jewelry to Gold quality.
I wanted to do this because I felt like people might overestimate the DPS increase and considering how expensive upgrading jewelry is, I thought it's important for people to know what they're actually getting and maybe reconsider upgrading unless they actually have a lot of gold and think it is a good idea for the price. For those who want to see the math, here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNQnl4aWwYA
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even too raiders know the difference between purple and gold is minuscule. Especially when talking about three pieces.

Weapons are the only gear worth the hassle of upgrading to gold due to substantial increases in WD & SD but not because of the set bonus.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even faced with Reality and Facts, there are those who are convinced that Gold Jewelry is Required for any Build. And one can not be Successful on any level with Crap Purple, or even worse, Blue Jewelry.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually run purple jewelry and see close to no real difference in performance. However over time when I get enough Chromium to max out a jewelry set I'll pick a set that's been consistently useful to me and has a history of remaining unchanged.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What gold jewely offers is a little forgiveness if you aren’t pulling off a flawless rotation when using BT jewely to give you that little bit of extra weapon/spell damage to cover a few misses. I hit roughly the same top end numbers in purple and gold jewely on my Mag and stam toons however in my experience upgrading from purple to gold helps me hit within 1-2K of that top end number virtually every single time. Mind you I am in the 100K+ category on all and don’t see the point in dummy humping once I’ve hit 105K because that’s unnecessary for any content.

There is also more nuance to this gold vs non gold jewel debate and that’s how it relates directly to content. I’m a console player so there are no real performance metrics to speak of however two classes stuck out in particular here where gold jewelry really counts and that is magblade and magplar when they get into their execute rotations. The ramp up from 90% to 25% doesn’t make nearly as much as from 25 to 1 where those two classes shine. I would say classes running a true execute would have a stronger benefit from gold jewely versus say a Magcro or MagDK which have a slower ramp up but overall steady amount of damage through the entire fight. That’s a test that may be worth a look.
  • Plectro
    Plectro
    ✭✭
    I would say classes running a true execute would have a stronger benefit from gold jewely versus say a Magcro or MagDK which have a slower ramp up but overall steady amount of damage through the entire fight. That’s a test that may be worth a look.

This is a very interesting point to make indeed. The percentages of increase should stay the same as in the video regardless of the class. However it is true that classes with execute will have a higher DPS in the later stages of the fight.
    (I'm not sure about the exact numbers but) say an NB is pulling 100k DPS pre-execute and 130k during execute.
    Golding out bloodthirsty jewelery would still bring this nightblade around 1.5-2% DPS increase at the 25-1% boss HP mark. But boosting 100k DPS by 1.5% and boosting 130k DPS by 1.5% is definitely a difference in overall DPS gain.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any additional thoughts about he Gold to Purple differential?

Leave it as is as gold makes people think they are special (fyi, I am one of them and spend way too much time farming), as per @Plectro gives and example.

Or a bump - you get a gold item, if it gives more of a bump? (ie, more damage, or ability)

Or it gives an additional bump (ie. x% extra to Stam, Magicka, Health along with the current increase)?

Thots?

Z