How can i best spend my 6k crowns?

Nacario
Nacario
✭✭✭
Hi. A twofolded question as a new player with "perm" ESO+ with 6k crowns.

1. how can i best spend these for functional longterm acc/char gains?
2. Or simply for skins gains, should I wait for other holidays to see if there will b new rewards from other crates-themes than our current snowy-blueish winter theme/motifs?

Thank you for all insight provided
  • Nacario
    Nacario
    ✭✭✭
    Also to add to the 2. I play a nightblade n would love motifs fitting that rogue category
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id suggest to buy extra charecter slots so you can have A. more inventory space B. can make more crafting writs and start making coin.

With gold you can buy the motifs you like and make your custom look. And unlocking the dyes of course.

The crates would be the last thing I would waste my crowns into.

But my suggestion does require effort and time of course.
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Opinion only, of course

1- NEVER on crown crates

2-NEVER on something you could buy for gold, no matter how annoying

3-Things that will be fun and that you will (ideally) use a lot So for me Character slots, unique mounts or outfits .... well that's pretty much it for me Maybe an occasional furnishing pack.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you ever think you will want to drop your sub but still dip your toes in, buy the dlcs outright when they go on sale.
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The biggest impact crown purchase for me, by far, has been a banker assistant.

And the merchant assistant is probably way ahead of whatever is in third place.

Training dummies would be in the discussion too if there weren't so many other ways to get access to them.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on December 25, 2021 11:42PM
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends on what you enjoy doing, really.

If you're constantly running around with a full inventory and carting around a bunch of gear for different things, the banker's a great choice. I've found the bankers are a bit more useful than the merchants since the bankers will let you store stuff to sell later, but the merchants won't really be a good source of storing stuff and getting it back. If you're running with a lot of groups or guildies though, they may be a bit less useful since usually everyone you run with will have one so all you need to do is ask and you can use theirs.

If you want to get money and/or farm stuff, more character slots would be the way to go. A lot of people will run daily quests for motifs or writs on multiple characters, and every additional character will increase your earnings. Of course, that can start to get really grindy after a while.

If you want to make your character look good, then you can look into the motifs or costumes in the store. Note that the 'Crown Crafting Motifs' are all available in game, either by daily quests or at guild traders (with the exception of 43: Grim Harlequin, 46: Frostcaster, and 53: Tsaesci, which are only available every so often and only from the crown store). I would not buy any of those motifs for crowns unless it's one that just dropped and you really really really want it. They're easy enough to get in game. Other cosmetics like the Outfit styles are normally only available in the store, so if you want it there's no other way to get it.

I would suggest against buying upgrades like meals, XP scrolls, research, riding lessons, etc. from the crown store. Those are so easy to get in game, so it's not that useful. Maybe for the riding lessons it does take a bit of time, but it's not super critical to anything until you've been playing long enough that you could have gotten it up by then anyway. Also the skill lines. Ditto to things like the storage chests, since you can get those for writ vouchers (if you like doing crafting writs) or Tel Var stones (if you like PvP in the Imperial City... or even just doing anything for the Whitestrake's Mayhem event we have twice a year).

I know some of my favorite things are character cosmetics like hairstyles and personalities - especially personalities. It really sets your character apart just to see them stand or move a different way from others. If you want something rogue-ish, the Thief personality is pretty good. There are few personalities available in game (Heroic and Assassin from just going to a Shadows of the Hist dungeon or the Gold Coast zone respectively, Telvanni Magister from completing the Sadrith Mora objective in Vvardenfell, or Beast and Worm Wizard from completing the hardmode/speedrun/nodeath achievements for March of Sacrifices or Fang Lair dungeons), but a lot are only available from the store.

I'm not as vehemently anti-crate as a lot of people here (even though I'd much prefer things to be sold outright instead of hidden in lootboxes), but I wouldn't go for crates unless you see something you absolutely want... and then realize that you're unlikely to get it randomly and you'll have to buy it with gems. Making a Twitch account and collecting the drops is a great way to get gems that you can use to buy crate goodies, and the endeavors are easy enough to stock up on as well. Some seasons have a lot of good stuff in them and then it's easier to justify getting some boxes since you'll be happy with most of the things, and when you can melt down the trash pots and excess rewards to get gems to buy the stuff you want. If there's a season that you don't care for a lot of the stuff, I'd suggest not buying anything and just getting the few things you want with gems. Maybe if the 15-pack goes on sale for ESO+ right before it leaves, but don't ever buy crates just hoping to roll that one rare thing you want... especially if it's an expensive mount or something.

Crate seasons switch every 13 weeks, and there'll usually be a datamine of most of the goodies that goes up when each update hits the test server (so we'll likely find out about the new things in the crate season after the Celestials around the end of January, and it should drop around mid March). Sometimes there'll also be a return of an old season for a week or two.

Just remember with the store that they've (unfortunately) decided that FOMO is the way to go. There's a good chance that you'll see people in game with some stuff you might like that may no loner be available and we can't tell when it'll come back around. I usually keep the homepage of the website bookmarked so I can check the showcase every month to see if there will be anything I want coming by.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the merchant to the banker because my bank is always full. But there *are* wandering merchants in the game so I can see why many people prefer the banker.

I wouldn’t recommend crates — the RNG on those is terrible. But I would recommend making gold by doing crafting writs on multiple characters (even if you use those alts for nothing else) because the gold and mats you’ll receive is considerable. With gold, you can acquire most of what you might want. Also the new thing—daily and weekly endeavors. They accumulate slowly, so patience is required, but eventually you can buy whatever cosmetics you want with those.

Have fun and welcome!
    Edited by DarcyMardin on December 27, 2021 2:32AM
  • Nacario
    Nacario
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much everyone for valuable tips! I will hold off on those crates then. I will however not delve too deep into char slots as i am no longer the young spirited adventurer i once was. I want to avoid repetetitve tasks as much as i can (dungeons will b fine n fun) and the little time spent is precious, so ill rather focus on completing maps (-trials as i understand they require more coordination and these sets arnt really for pvp), checking out for good trader deals, and eventually getting an ok set for stam nightblade open world pvp - that should soothe my base mmorpg cravings.
    Edited by Nacario on December 26, 2021 7:27AM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nacario wrote: »
    Hi. A twofolded question as a new player with "perm" ESO+ with 6k crowns.

1. how can i best spend these for functional longterm acc/char gains?
    2. Or simply for skins gains, should I wait for other holidays to see if there will b new rewards from other crates-themes than our current snowy-blueish winter theme/motifs?

Thank you for all insight provided

It depends on the player and their activities, how much time they spend in game, etc., but I think assistants (especially the banker) are convenient to have overall, especially if you have alt characters and swap things between them; additional character slots, again for alt-o-holics; if you are a DD or pvp player, and testing builds often, or want to improve your rotation, the iron atronach dummy is nice to have on your own (although you can always visit a friend's house or guild house that has it). Like others said, you can get a lot of things with in-game means (even things from the store, like werewolf/vampire bites and cure, experience and AP scrolls, consumables, etc.), as well as many collectible skins, mounts and pets, so you don't have to spend crowns for them.
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    save your crowns for now, and don't buy any bank/bag upgrade yet or you lose out on the level up free one(level 12 bag/ level 15 bank)sell every piece of gear you're not using to the merchants until you hit level 50 cp 160, or research them if you're doing crafting

I would consider the Starter Pack Adept if you're itching to spend some crowns, it's only 550 on sale, and you get some useful items(the horse training), the black horse looks way better than the freebie one, and you get a few costumes.

anyway, enjoy your time in the game!
  • winterscrolls229prerb18_ESO
    Good question. As a cosmetics first / no multiplayer player...

- The bank assistant is the only functional thing that's saved countless time for me. Especially with addons once you stop subbing you can simulate the crafting bank.
    - Ultimately content is king in eso. Access to dlc zones is the other thing that becomes sore over time, even if you don't think youll need them.

I guess that means you should replace or buy up the sub benefits so you're not pressured or intimidated to come and go as you please without loss.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The bank assistant is the only functional thing that's saved countless time for me.

Agreed. The banker is the most bang for your buck.
    PC NA