The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Advice needed with MagSorc build

HonestFarmer
Hi, I'm changing my build on magsorc a bit and need some advice from you guys.

Ancient Grace vs WIllpower. Is the difference in damage output and shield strength that noticeable? Most builds recommend ancient grace, but willpower clearly offers more raw damage. Is the increase in damage enough to make up for the loss in shield strength? Will running 3 Potentates jewelries be viable?

Bright-Throat's Boast vs Crafty Alfiq. I'm currently running Crafty Alfiq but thinking about switching to BTB for more magicka sustain. I'll be giving up health recovery from sugar skulls. I'm mostly okay without it but haven't actually tried running BTB in place of Crafty Alfiq. Losing roughly 1.5k max magicka, however, may be a bit too much. Thoughts?

I'm currently running Crafty Alfiq, Gaze of Sithis, Domihaus shoulder, Spinners inferno front and Potentates resto back. My plan is to have Gaze of Sithis, 1-piece monster shoulder, 5-piece body, 3-piece jewelries, Perfected Master's inferno front, and Potentates/Maelstrom's resto back.

Also, what would you recommend for front-bar ultimate? I'm currently using either Ice Comet or Eye of the Storm

Thank you
Edited by HonestFarmer on December 21, 2021 9:32AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @HonestFarmer where do you play? CP or noCP, Proc or not? BGs?

Reason I ask, I personally prefer Bright Throat over Alfiq all day long. And love the flex on food for certain scenarios (Bloody Mary / Spring Loaded even the Max Mag / Regen if in a group with healer)

But I prefer noCP so have to run no proc

Will come back on other thoughts later
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • HonestFarmer
    Thanks for your input. I play mainly BGs and proc-CP.
    Edited by HonestFarmer on December 22, 2021 9:16AM
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was running a build very much like yours in no-CP Cyrodiil for the short time I've been playing on Xbox. The problem is, with the way the meta currently is and how most players are going for tankier builds and stam builds, mag sorc just isn't competitive period. I know there are better players than me. However when I'd go up against players that I could tell were no better than I was, I'd still lose well over 50% of the time. Mag Sorc in light armor is just way too squishy. So you'd have to invest a lot in speed/mobility which requires stam and stam sustain. That would take away from the possible damage you could do. Since the other players have really good/better heals and better damage mitigation in the form of wearing heavy armor and at least 1 defensive set, you're rarely going to be able to burst someone down quickly unless it's a new player with an inferior build. I was throwing everything I had at people in 2 offensive sets and would barely make a dent in some player's health. I was using the skill rotations and pulling them off that all the top players recommend and just found it incredibly hard to kill good players. That's the state of ESO no-CP PVP right now. I watched another player's class ranking for current PVP and they had mag sorc at 2nd worst and I'd have to agree completely.

I've been told stam sorc is much more viable but I haven't tried it. I'm using the event to level a stamblade We'll see how that goes. It will be a very different play style that will take a lot of practice I'm sure. For no-CP no=proc you definitely need a good combination or high max resource and high sustain. It doesn't really matter how you get there. I was using spinners front bar and had a back bar Willpower resto staff. I had 2 trainee for max health and max mag and 3 grace of the ancients. My opinion is that in current no-CP max mag is more important than spell damage because you're just going to need a high mag pool. You need it for shields, healing, and all attacks. If you don't get mag recovery from mundus or food you'll need to get it from a set or jewelry enchant (and using infused jewelry). You can start with all spell damage infused jewelry and if you find you're having sustain issues either weave in some heavy attacks or try changing over 1 piece of jewelry at a time from spell damage to mag recovery until you feel like you have enough sustain. But again, you'll probably need to change class or at least go to stam sorc if you're going to compete in this current state of no-CP PVP. I wish there was more parity in classes. Also in no-CP, there are so few viable sets in my opinion. There are a few offensive sets that all the best players are using and a few defensive and that's about it. It would be cool if there could be more options but most sets have a proc condition so they are a no-go.
    Edited by malistorr on December 23, 2021 7:43PM