The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bring back the 24/36 Death Limit

Rudrani
Rudrani
✭✭✭✭✭
This was a really good design. (If your group dies more times than allowed, you lose, and the enemies win).

It should be a part of the Vet toggle, or at least a trial-wide Vet hardmode.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Then most prog groups would just disband. Could you imagine trying to prog kynes aegis or rockgrove hard mode as a newer group with a death limit...
  • NerfSeige
    NerfSeige
    ✭✭✭✭
    As if endgame pve is not small enough. [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 17, 2021 11:24AM
    Avid reader of wes’-pts-diary[RIP]

NerfAS and Shill ruins everything

Skinny-meta-fake, graded D, and can’t explain the law of diminishing marginal returns.

I won’t post that Wes, I’ll get [snipped] for the last time

Revert this patch - Audens, 2022
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then most prog groups would just disband. Could you imagine trying to prog kynes aegis or rockgrove hard mode as a newer group with a death limit...

Agreed. That’s why there are achievements for not dying. Personally, I don’t see anything beneficial being added by such a mechanic. And it would probably exclude new people as too much of a liability.
  • Zatox
    Zatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really like this concept of "death limit", I prefer "wipe limit"
    IMHO, groups must be punished for wipe, not for a single death. And all "no-death" achievements should be "no wipe".

Secret ice boss in black drake villa is a good example - you have only a few attempts, but you can resurrect allies with no restriction.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are dying, you are learning.

If you are not dying, you are probably in some achievement oriented group.

So no, bad idea.
    Edited by Ippokrates on December 14, 2021 9:43AM
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zatox wrote: »
    IMHO, groups must be punished for wipe, not for a single death. And all "no-death" achievements should be "no wipe".

Secret ice boss in black drake villa is a good example - you have only a few attempts, but you can resurrect allies with no restriction.

I mean, groups are punished enough with wipes by wasting time and potions. XD imagine a new main tank trying to learn how to position falgravn's blood pools with a wipe limit. If the tank dies, it's a pretty good chance that a prog group will get wrecked shortly after. That's at least 15-20 minutes wasted to get back to that point for him to try again. It's bad enough that you might have 3 good pulls on him before the instance itself becomes unplayable.
    Edited by UntilValhalla13 on December 14, 2021 11:24AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to think about how frustrating that would be for someone learning Vet Maelstrom. Imagine having to no death the earlier arenas just to save your limited deaths for poison plant RNG and the final boss. And then if you mess up, all the way to the beginning with you!

Er, no thanks.
  • RogueShark
    RogueShark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah.

Trifectas and then scorepushing is already available. No reason to enforce an arbitrary death limit when literally all that will do is hinder and frustrate those who are progging and learning the content.
    PC NA
    Will heal DPS for memes.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand wanting failure of quests in a game, but in these types of game modes it's not healthy at all for ESO. Too much that can go wrong and potential for trolling and hatred amongst the group. Single player scenarios I don't see an issue, but in group ones no thank you.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was horrible design and I’m glad they changed it. We need more incentive to join endgame PvE.... not less
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people just want to watch the world burn...
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ask for ESO Classic server
  • Rudrani
    Rudrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine it would go like this...

We would first have to prog GETTING to Yandir.
    Then once we are good at getting to Yandir, we would have to prog killing Yandir.
    Then once we can kill Yandir we would have to prog getting to Vrol.
    Etc.

But honestly, I think this is ONE OF THE BEST ideas in a video game I have heard of. Make it possible for the game to win.

Also, I suggest it should be incorperated as a part of the hardmode toggle. So, toggle hardmode from the start of a trial - not at specific bosses.

This way you can prog vet as usual.
  • Rudrani
    Rudrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zatox wrote: »

YES, THE ICE BOSS WAS AN AWESOME DESIGN!
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just no, I don't want to get all the way to the final boss in a vet trial only to have one person die and us all get booted out because we hit the limit.

Thats not a learning experience. Thats not how you learn. Thats a frustrating experience.

As you learn to do trials you improve and you make fewer mistakes and die less, this is obvious by the score you get.
  • SickDuck
    SickDuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only problem with limitless death is it allows bypassing most of the trash, using a "Run, Die, Resurrect" approach. This is not very creative and ignores part of the challenge. It also allows to bypass certain trickier boss fight mechanics as long as it happens to a few group members, since ESO allows in-fight resurrection. Cost of death is basically negligible: soul gems are abundant, repair cost is low.

While I think death limit should not be brought back, nor the cost of death increased, there should be some counter measures to avoid people abusing aforementioned methods.

Same stands for dungeons too (ie. rushing).
    Holdviola - Khira'de Regalo - Lélekvadász - Used To Be An Adventurer - Zetor - Does-Not-Give-A-Duck - Lord Sugar - Tenar Arha - Da'rinka - Violent Moon - Extreme Runner
  • Rudrani
    Rudrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SickDuck i agree totally. i think people just want to "accomplish" stuff, but if you make mount everest 1000 meters shorter and then climb it, is it really that exciting?

"Hardmodes" need a revamp,.... its the same deal except the final boss, or on new ones every boss (better!). There should be a hardmode toggle for the entire dungeon/trial, and part of the hardmode is the death limit.
  • RogueShark
    RogueShark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hardmode for the hardmodes/whole trial or dungeon is literally the trifectas. You can't die even once to get those so there's no need for a death limit.
    PC NA
    Will heal DPS for memes.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RogueShark wrote: »
    The hardmode for the hardmodes/whole trial or dungeon is literally the trifectas. You can't die even once to get those so there's no need for a death limit.

definitely this

the old limited rezzes were dumb (and made me not want to even attempt doing trials)

trifectas are already hard enough (and if you really care, using up all of your "deaths" does impact your score if you were score pushing even if you werent going for trifecta)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Rudrani
    Rudrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh well. i guess im the only one who thinks this was a cool, verycool, idea.
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fine, if you know you can complete the trial within the death limit, its no good if you can't. Most progs can't, at least to start with, so they at least can complete at the moment even with too many deaths, they will then slowly improve to, possibly, get to your level
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mechanics like this make sense on paper, but in actuality they don't provide meaningful playing experiences. It is better to add mechanics to bosses or more classes/abilities than it is to put up road blocks.

In an MMO you want the cost of entry to be minimal but the ceiling to be VERY high in terms of allowing the players in a group to accomplish. Another weird mechanic that MMO devs sometimes fall into are difficulty mechanics where the dmg and health are increased instead of more mechanics added. That also puts up a fake barrier that doesnt mean the encounters will be fun, just another system that adding a dps or changing dps gear solves in a matter of days instead of mastery of the encounters that usually take months.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your idea is just bad. As others have mentioned there are already no death achievements. If someone dies the game wins, no ifs ands or buts. Dearh limits for just clearing content is not fun.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • SickDuck
    SickDuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rudrani wrote: »
    oh well. i guess im the only one who thinks this was a cool, verycool, idea.

As others mentioned it could a variant, but for regular runs it would be toxic. I remember the days when going to trials was a big privilege, now pug trials are very much a thing, even for veteran runs. Imagine, who would take inexperienced people on a training run if one single noob could prematurely end a run? Or a griever?
    Holdviola - Khira'de Regalo - Lélekvadász - Used To Be An Adventurer - Zetor - Does-Not-Give-A-Duck - Lord Sugar - Tenar Arha - Da'rinka - Violent Moon - Extreme Runner
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think dungeons should have this - 8 deaths - group fails. Someone runs ahead, just kill yourself over and over and wipe the dungeon.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds very punitive to the point it seems it was a good idea they removed it if this was actually part of raids.

Further, it would be pointless to make it a toggle because no one would turn it on. Well, no one would turn it on unless it added points to the run, and then it would not matter because the top groups will clear without that many deaths making the added points fairly purposeless.

For the less-than-stellar groups that still end up being able to clear trials, it would just hammer them down for no reason if it was not a toggle.

So in the end it is not very friendly and provides no benefit to the game.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. That’s why there are achievements for not dying. Personally, I don’t see anything beneficial being added by such a mechanic. And it would probably exclude new people as too much of a liability.

Agree 100%. Positive incentives for not dying trump negative ones. Reward good play. Don’t punish players trying to learn.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember plenty of times we'd be doing vSO (when that was the end game) only to have the Manti bug out and force a 12 man wipe.

3x of that and there was no point in going on. Your group could be doing everything right and get screwed by the game to a point of no continuance.

Death limit has always been a bad idea. It's why they just worked it into the overall score instead. It might be different if the game actually responded dynamically, properly, and consistently.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, intentional wipes due to bugs (hello Falkreath -_- ) or hm activation are another aspect of the issue.