The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

[MAGSORC] Need input from other seasoned sorcs on this non-CP build (veteran player)

Whyn Aurum
Whyn Aurum
✭✭✭
Hello,
I would like to mention I'm a veteran PvPer with over 3000hours put into this game, most of them spent inside non-CP PvP(which I think is the most fair campaign). This is not to flex or anything, just give an idea what level I'm playing on, so that other seasoned players can join the conversation.

I've been running this build since Blackwood and find it really hard to substitute with anything else since it seems to have a good middle ground between dps and tankiness. I would like to hear other valuable opinions on build ideas that allow a brawling style of gameplay with burst capabilities. Also rate my setup and feel free to give advice

The setup:
EQ: 1pc Sithis, 5 alfiq, 5 torugs pact(front bar), resto Ancient Grace.
Enchants: Head: divines, all other armor: well-fitted, rings: arcane, neck: infused, inferno: infused, resto: defending
Glyphs: Large pcs: triglyph, small: max magicka, neck: spell dmg, rings: magicka recovery, inferno: shock, resto: escapist poison
Food: Orzorgas smoked bear haunch
Pots: Alliance pots
Mundus: Atronach

Front bar: 1.Curse, 2.Frags, 3.Ele wep, 4.Streak, 5.Bound Aegis, ULT:Overload
Back bar: 1.Dark Conv, 2.Dampen, 3.Ward, 4.Boundless, 5.Bound Aegis, ULT:Temp Guard

This setup gives me:
- 30k health, 38k magicka, 15k stamina,
- 2k magicka regen, 1k health regen, 1,1k stamina regen,
- 3100 unbuffed spell dmg, 3700 buffed spell dmg, 31k spell resist and 28k phys resist (with Boundless Storm active)

It's also noteworthy to mention all my eq is golden except the jewlery.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    5 crafty, 5 heartland conq (sharp front bar, powered back bar), torc, 1 trainee/swarm/domi/magma incarnate

5 crafty 3 willpower 3 trainee + that one ring that gives sd and armor for each 3 piece (you'll have 3)

I don't understand why you would run bound aegis and gaze together. I think torc is nice on magsorc. Dark conversion and you get uber regen at all times. I run sugar skulls. Max stat is too good on magsorc.

I like flappy bird but I don't run solo often.

I assume you run spell power pots. Opens up some bar space, I guess.

How I'd set up with matriarch
    Endless fury, crushing shock/ele weapon, matriarch, frags, streak, negate/atro/meteor
    Dark deal, radiating regen/rapid regen, matriarch, aegis/haunting curse, boundless, resto ult/negate/undo

How I'd set up without matriarch
    Endless fury, crushing shock/ele weapon, aegis, frags, streak, ult of choice
    Dark deal, rapid regen/radiating regen, ward, curse, boundless, ult of choice

My magsorc runs about 5k sd, 40k mag 30k hp 20k stam, 2.5 mag recov, 1.3k stam recovery (torc procced)
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever setup you run, just back bar ironblood and run a shield with restro ult. Stack your max mag as much from then on. It's been the unspoken BiS magsorc set for a long while now.

There will be a lot of pretty looking setups like the one above this but they simply lack the defense or rely on heals. Any decent Stamina setup will shred all those builds.
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on December 14, 2021 3:18AM
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Recommend not using shields when you feel comfortable. Those slots are better used for damage.

Blocking is the best mitigation in the game. (not the most mitigation, but the best)
    PC NA
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Whatever setup you run, just back bar ironblood and run a shield with restro ult. Stack your max mag as much from then on. It's been the unspoken BiS magsorc set for a long while now.

There will be a lot of pretty looking setups like the one above this but they simply lack the defense or rely on heals. Any decent Stamina setup will shred all those builds.

This is non cp. Which is also non proc. So ironblood is out.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • atherusmora
    atherusmora
    ✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Recommend not using shields when you feel comfortable. Those slots are better used for damage.

Blocking is the best mitigation in the game. (not the most mitigation, but the best)

I have completely abandoned wards from my magsorc play style. Ironically, I found my build became more survivable. As you said, it allows you to add a damage ability instead of the very temporary and lackluster mitigation from wards. It always felt like the ward was more like a light shirt. It goes down as soon as it’s up when takes damage. It ends up being a defensive spammable. And if you’re spamming wards in PvP you are doing little to no damage and likely about to die. Tbh I never felt like the ward was strong enough to slot for PvP. I don’t use it in PvE either for that matter.

Thoughts about running hurricane on a Magsorc? I’m sure it’s been attempted, but I’ve been giving more thought to trying it out.
    Edited by atherusmora on December 14, 2021 2:39PM
    (Pet)Magsorc Main
    PS4 NA
    PvX
    Long Live the Queen!!!
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »

I have completely abandoned wards from my magsorc play style. Ironically, I found my build became more survivable. As you said, it allows you to add a damage ability instead of the very temporary and lackluster mitigation from wards. It always felt like the ward was more like a light shirt. It goes down as soon as it’s up when takes damage. It ends up being a defensive spammable. And if you’re spamming wards in PvP you are doing little to no damage and likely about to die. Tbh I never felt like the ward was strong enough to slot for PvP. I don’t use it in PvE either for that matter.

Thoughts about running hurricane on a Magsorc? I’m sure it’s been attempted, but I’ve been giving more thought to trying it out.

If you do, then running race against time for major expedition is kinda needed, and sorc is short on bar space. That being said, you can back bar wretched vitality if you run either hurricane or race against time, and it will proc both regen parts at the same time
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ya this one. Ironblood back bar, get to around 30K health, and stack mag with the remainder.

I use spinners, gaze of sithis, and 3x trainee. Or I use masters inferno and only 1x trainee.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

Ya this one. Ironblood back bar, get to around 30K health, and stack mag with the remainder.

I use spinners, gaze of sithis, and 3x trainee. Or I use masters inferno and only 1x trainee.

Yeah this a decent combo. I do like Alfiq and torc in no CP though assuming we run one shield.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is non cp. Which is also non proc. So ironblood is out.

Try it out in bgs or cp campaigns. Trust me, it will outperform all the other setups. Along with mines atro, you can actually match up to dlc stam classes which you would other wise run away from the moment you are outnumbered
  • Whyn Aurum
    Whyn Aurum
    ✭✭✭

How exactly do I run a shield with a resto ult? Don't I need a resto staff?
    I was specifically labeling this as Non-CP campaign, should've also mentioned BGs aren't considered
    Edited by Whyn Aurum on December 14, 2021 10:13PM
  • Whyn Aurum
    Whyn Aurum
    ✭✭✭

I don't understand why you would run bound aegis and gaze together.

It's slotted for the free max magicka and minor resolve. The active part is simply not used. It's basically a passive
    I don't really like the pet, If you're 1vXing several mediocre to good players and one of them decides to specifically target your pet, You'll be having a really rough time with constantly resummoning and ultimately having 2 gimped skill slots
    Edited by Whyn Aurum on December 14, 2021 10:25PM
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem is, with the way the meta currently is and how most players are going for tankier/stam builds, mag sorc just isn't competitive period. Stam toons have double the armor and also more speed by default (orc racial speed buff for example). To compete as a mag sorc you'd have to invest far too many of your buffs to speed or defense and mag sorc already doesn't have great offense (against the stam toon meta with a lot of health and at least 1 defense set and possibly a defensive mythic too). Other classes can heal for more a lot of the time and have better offensive skills as well. I recently saw another player's current class ranking video for PVP which ranked mag sorc as 2nd worst and I have to agree. I'm going to try stamblade and see how I like that. At least once I learn how to play it I expect to have a 50/50 or better shot in 1v1 which I never feel like I have as a mag sorc in no-CP Cyrodiil currently. With mag sorc I feel like you pretty much can only go glass cannon and you'll get lucky occasionally or kill bad/new players, but against experienced stam toons it's really not a fair fight currently. ZOS would need to give mag sorc more defense and speed by default to even things out.
    Edited by malistorr on December 23, 2021 9:25PM
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Whyn Aurum wrote: »
    I don't really like the pet, If you're 1vXing several mediocre to good players and one of them decides to specifically target your pet, You'll be having a really rough time with constantly resummoning and ultimately having 2 gimped skill slots

You just described why Mag Sorc healer is the worst healer for Deathmatch 😔

I wish ZOS gave us more ways to keep the pet alive. It dies way too fast and the 1s cast time means spell interruption.
    PC NA
  • KingKayanto
    KingKayanto
    ✭✭✭
    I ran 5pc Alfiq+3pc Grace of The ancients + Willpower weapons with Engine guardian in BGs for a year and a half. Mostly infused Armor pieces, 5-1-1 setup with tristats on all big pieces, arcane jewellery. 2xrecovery 1x spell dmg. Bewitched sugar skulls

This with undaunted gave me 47k max mag, 24,5k max HP and 19,2k stam in NO-CP. By far the best magsorc build I've played. Oh yes Breton race.
    Battlegrounds Masochist

Magsorc: Robot Wizard
    StamDK: Dragon Bruh
    StamNB: Mr Meow Meow Meow
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran 5pc Alfiq+3pc Grace of The ancients + Willpower weapons with Engine guardian in BGs for a year and a half. Mostly infused Armor pieces, 5-1-1 setup with tristats on all big pieces, arcane jewellery. 2xrecovery 1x spell dmg. Bewitched sugar skulls

This with undaunted gave me 47k max mag, 24,5k max HP and 19,2k stam in NO-CP. By far the best magsorc build I've played. Oh yes Breton race.

I'm a pretty similar setup and enjoy it.

Still prefer Necro and Bright Throat (with the flex on drinks) but no beuno in no proc,
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP