The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

When Vampire and Werewolf NPCs Spawn is That Able to be Displayed by an Add-on?

Vevvev
Vevvev
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I know the locations can be displayed by an addon by hardcoding a list of coordinates for placing some icons like many addons do with treasure chests and the like, but what about when these NPCs spawn?

When these werewolves and vampires spawn is still very cryptic and one of the guilds I was in was hoping for a Discord bot able to display such a thing, and it led to me thinking of addons. The Sanguine Goat's eyes glow red when they spawn so surely there must be some message being sent by the server to have the client render the goat's eyes that way. Can an addon also receive that message and inform the user of the upcoming night?
PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • M0R_Gaming
    M0R_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    I know the locations can be displayed by an addon by hardcoding a list of coordinates for placing some icons like many addons do with treasure chests and the like, but what about when these NPCs spawn?
    If you know the location where they spawn, then ya, you can put it on the map, however, it will always be there. To have the message show up when the goat spawns is impossible though, the only way would probably be to modify the exe, which is against TOS and will get you banned.

The way that addons work is that they send a question to ZOS's servers (called an API), and ZOS responds with the answer to the query. These API questions are set by zos and are not everything that the client gets. Here's a list of all the questions that addons can ask ZOS, and This is a general guide of what addons can and cannot do.

As an example of stuff that addons can do, which clients don't get data for would be the keep status in cyrodiil. You can't check the progress on a keep's flags unless you are directly there without addons, but an addon can request this data from anywhere in cyrodiil.
    As an example of stuff that the client can do but not addons, is getting information about chest spawns. The client will be told that a chest is there so that it can render it, but an addon is unable to tell this, as ZOS has not included it in the API. The best addons can do is just list all possible locations so that the user can check each place manually.
    Edited by M0R_Gaming on December 13, 2021 4:09PM
    • PC/NA - PvP/PvE AD Magsorc main
    • Former Emp, All HMs but DSR
    My addons
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply and it makes more sense now why an addon doesn't have this functionality. There is no API to retrieve the information regarding whether or not the appropriate NPCs have spawned.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time I checked, a couple of years ago, the goats eyes glowing did not match up with vampires spawning. They glowed once during the day when I found werewolves that night (but were not glowing when I found werewolves or on several other days when werewolves spawned) and glowed the day after I found vampires, but again not while the spawn was up and not the day before.

As far as I could tell it's random and unrelated.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if it is still a thing and still working as intended, but WW or Vamps used to spawn, depending on what moon is "up" on the sky. If it is the pale, white moon - Bloodfiends vampire mobs spawn. If the moon is bloody-reddish - then Werewolves mobs spawn. The moon that is "closer" is the one to look at.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJHKmw_rHBhSF7Mut0APehGd8VFoT0jBrkXg&usqp=CAU.jpg
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on December 14, 2021 11:37AM