Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Studio Director's Letter: 2021 Retrospective"

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
m8950wmj1l9i.jpg

This is the official discussion thread for the website article, "Studio Director's Letter: 2021 Retrospective"

Read a letter from ZeniMax Online Studio’s Director, Matt Firor, on another exciting and challenging year for The Elder Scrolls Online and the team.
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on January 19, 2022 8:14PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • RemanCyrodiil_I
    RemanCyrodiil_I
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -
    Edited by RemanCyrodiil_I on April 20, 2022 5:07PM
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheers~! Happy Holidays ZOS team!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5xalq8.jpg

It's not gonna be Bretons...

(No jokes, I'm thrilled we're stepping away from the apocalyptic stakes for a bit.)
    Edited by VaranisArano on December 9, 2021 9:26PM
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Breton or Bosmer for 2022!
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From one bundle of anxiety to another, congratulations on surviving 2021!

I'd also like to join the others in cheering for a break from the apocalyptic plots. Bring on the political in-fighting!
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thoughts of this one:

Glad for some relief from the end of the world. Too much of that going on all round right now.

Redguards? This one hopes we go somewhere with sand for reasons of Khajiit personal hygine. Skyrim too cold and Blackwood too swampy to facilitate comfort in this requirement yes.

Intrigue you say? Intriguing ...

This one hopes for a plot where a small family of khajiit rise to great trading power and then there is a big party and everyone juggles yarn and then has Fishmas dinner together.

As for the hope of a return to normal? This one thinks the Outside World we knew is gone and we have a couple of years more of the plague to come at least. After that we should begin to rebuild but we can never go back and just imagine the last few years have not happened and we have not changed as a result.

The change can break us down for now but we can gradually reforge stronger than before - this one hopes.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting hardware delayed is a pain I feel. My work basically took 9 months in on what was supposed to be implementation before the hardware showed up. Kudos to ZOS for not then wanting it done in 3 months to still get done within the year.

I selfishly still want to see those performance improvements though. I understand the delays, but it won't make me much less frustrated lol
    Edited by techyeshic on December 9, 2021 10:53PM
  • SSX_Gryphon
    SSX_Gryphon
    ✭✭✭
    I think this was such a well balanced statement. I think as a screaming fanbase it can sometimes elude a few that this escape we all enjoy relies on human beings to keep it going so it's nice that this letter puts that at the forefront. Having just come offline after a great evening with new friends I fully agree that ESO is a much needed escape from the world.

I'm medical and the last 2 years have been rough. I'm now relegated to working fully remotely so without colleagues during the day, being able to jump on discord with a guild and decompress has been a huge boon to my mental health. That wouldn't happen without having a platform that I actually enjoy logging onto.

Well done everyone :)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    techyeshic wrote: »
    Getting hardware delayed is a pain I feel. My work basically took 9 months in on what was supposed to be implementation before the hardware showed up. Kudos to ZOS for not then wanting it done in 3 months to still get done within the year.

I selfishly still want to see those performance improvements though. I understand the delays, but it won't make me much less frustrated lol

Performance improvements are not related to the hardware they are trying to buy. The performance improvements are underway and a team is working on it, according to Rich.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5xalq8.jpg

(No jokes, I'm thrilled we're stepping away from the apocalyptic stakes for a bit.)
    Yeah it's probably Redguards given the hints we have. But I'll take it.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • DontWorryAboutit
    DontWorryAboutit
    ✭✭✭
    Wood elves or bretons.... There you go!

High rock as a zone to perhaps fall in line with the teased ES6 video we got. A hint maybe that ES6 will release 2023.
    Edited by DontWorryAboutit on December 10, 2021 6:18AM
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Our content plans will be to back off major plots with "end of the world invasion" themes for a bit to tell a traditional "Elder Scrolls" story of political intrigue and factional infighting, concentrating on one of ESO’s playable races that has not yet had a full cultural and historical deep dive.

Now I'm imagining them reading all the feedback in that one big thread about year-long storytelling and going into panic mode to rewrite next year's story to not be a world-threatening apocalypse. :D

And yeah it's probably Redguards (Crowns vs. Forebears, anyone?), but I wonder what they'd do for a zone if they wanted to give Bretons or Bosmer some love considering that all of their territory is covered in the base game.

And on a general note, Matt's candor about the personal stresses of keeping work on the game going is a good reminder that people are people whether they're playing the game or behind the scenes. I hope the whole team knows that we appreciate their work and we want them to take care of themselves too.

OH WAIT I know what we can do for a Breton zone...
    Everybody we care about from High Rock decides it's time to go rescue Darien so we set up camp in the Colored Rooms and GUESS WHAT IT'S OUR ZONE NOW WHATCHA GONNA DO ABOUT IT.

...I may be feeling slightly punchy.
    Edited by Ilsabet on December 10, 2021 6:04AM
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for writing this up. I do hope everyone at ZOS realizes that whenever we criticize the game, we only do so to help improve ESO further. And no matter how often players disagree with something, eachother, or with you at ZOS, we only do so because we love the game.

This game has seen great improvements in all parts of the game, over the previous years. You already mentioned some systems, which I personally love, but every other aspect of the game has grown and improved as well. This makes me proud to be an ESO player. And hopefully I will be exactly that, an ESO player, for many years to come.

All the best to the ZOS staff, ESO players, new ESO players, and non-ESO players for the coming year(s)!
    Edited by Sarannah on December 10, 2021 7:49AM
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Our content plans will be to back off major plots with "end of the world invasion" themes for a bit to tell a traditional "Elder Scrolls" story of political intrigue and factional infighting"

That's a good start, eso in particular being pretty high fantasy imagery wise getting more flavour from bit "tamed" plots like Orsinium was.
  • LokiAndBlack
    LokiAndBlack
    ✭✭✭
    Great news about we won't get another end of the world thing! Can't wait to see what we get next year :)
  • Aardappelboom
    Aardappelboom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well written! I love the game in all aspects (even PVP), never played a game this long so just keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to putting my character through a less apocalyptic story this time around.

For the record, I started playing this game right before the pandemic, saying that the last couple of years were rough, while probably true, wasn't something I, honestly noticed in particular. I really think that ESO is doing a really good job, pandemic or not, in bringing together a great world full of exciting activities. There's always great suggestions going around on the forums obviously, but it is seldom I came across a game breaking issue on xbox EU. So thanks!

Also kudos on not making just another MMO clone, your take on allowing solo-play and trying to mimic single player games in the content you drop and putting it al into an MMO experience where PVP is one of the most fun PVP modes I have ever played was really refreshing for me.

Happy holidays!

• Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No mystery, Breton lands are mostly accounted for, it’s going to be redguards in Hammerfell, two nice big internal factions, perfect to take the pressure off weary staff by not having to make new scenery or objects as there is a set of buildings and terrain they already have in their inventory from back when the thieves guild was released, nice and simple.

Plus I love deserts, and cities drowned in sand, such a romantic backdrop of the cutting a villains head off 😇
    Edited by Integral1900 on December 10, 2021 6:00PM
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Appreciate these year end perspectives, and I think 2021 was certainly a solid year for the game. Happy to see what intrigue they deliver over the course of next year, it's going to be exciting. After watching some of Rich's streams, I'm pretty hyped for this coming year. Cheers to ZOS and ESO, it's been a fun ride and I'm excited for what's next.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking ahead to 2022, we will continue to do what we do best: tell great stories and keep the ESO train running. Our content plans will be to back off major plots with "end of the world invasion" themes for a bit to tell a traditional "Elder Scrolls" story of political intrigue and factional infighting, concentrating on one of ESO’s playable races that has not yet had a full cultural and historical deep dive.

So I guess we will see something Breton or Redguard related. Wood Elves could also be on the list, but where are you going to add new wood-elf themed zone ? They already have all of their lands in the base game... 🤔

Also, this statement "concentrating on one of ESO’s playable races" gives me hope that we may yet have an entire year-story focused around Argonians & Black Marsh ahead of us. I know we had Murkmire & Blackwood, but none of those zones were truly a "Chapter size zone focused on a eso's playeable race". Murkmire is a small (but awesome) story, short DLC and Blackwood was more like an Imperial - themed zone located in the swampy area.

So, maybe not next year, or next-next year, but eventually we should get something like this, as there is plenty of land & cities left...

*looks at big empty spot on the map between Shadowfen & Murkmire*

Edit: Now that I think about it, I just wanted to add that I absolutely :heart: the direction of what type of content they are going for. Intrigues, and content focused around playable races lore is way, way better than "save the world" stuff. That is why Murkmire is (so far imho) superior when it comes to quest line. That is why side quests in Morrowind & Elsweyr were superior. That is why Whothgar main story was superior. Those "small quests" always produce better results & are more rewarding - because those (very often) are closer to what we have to deal with in RL.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on December 11, 2021 10:33AM
  • carthalis
    carthalis
    ✭✭✭
    Happy Holidays everyone and thank you for everything in ESO, its certainly a great distraction away from the realities of the world when you want to escape for an hour or two. Looking forward to next year's chapter
  • ceiron
    ceiron
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    techyeshic wrote: »

Performance improvements are not related to the hardware they are trying to buy. The performance improvements are underway and a team is working on it, according to Rich.

But whether directly or indirectly related to this hardware. It will aid performance improvements. Everything is linked in one way or another.

Performance improvements are underway and have been for a long time now.

New hardware will enable this progression quicker.

Be it as a more stable base or a better platform for the decs to work on and test stuff, thus being able to replicate it on live etc ...

Literally typing this and the forums freeze. Thank god for the constant draft save feature.
  • SerenityC84
    SerenityC84
    ✭✭
    Ever since I played the storylines involving Falinesti, I have always wanted to go deeper. Please be Bosmer! Maybe we can find Falinesti! I love their lore!!
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

Yeah it's probably Redguards given the hints we have. But I'll take it.

Make it just like Hew's Bane, but WAY bigger!
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ever since I played the storylines involving Falinesti, I have always wanted to go deeper. Please be Bosmer! Maybe we can find Falinesti! I love their lore!!
    Yep, Falinesti provides an amazing opportunity for Bosmer lore one day. Maybe as a Q4 zone, where Falinesti's spinners have created their own pocket realm or something, kinda like Artaeum. My dream for that zone involves a lot of verticality, no fall damage in this magic zone, with a new Alteration world skill line that unlocks the Slow Fall passive at level 10 (while jumping or falling, press and hold the jump key to activate slow fall) so we can be bolder with vertical exploration in all zones.

Sad to hear the team is burning out, but it isn't surprising. It must be really tough trying to remain as productive as pre-pandemic. The article reads very strongly like they're trying to temper our expectations for their output in the year ahead.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »

Sad to hear the team is burning out, but it isn't surprising. It must be really tough trying to remain as productive as pre-pandemic. The article reads very strongly like they're trying to temper our expectations for their output in the year ahead.

Indeed this is how this one read this paragraph. Maybe no new system? No new companion yet? No changes to events perhaps?

But we are always excited for new things and when we make want and wish lists they should not always feel that we really think all the things we wish for are necessary no. It's just what we would like in the most ideal of worlds - which we know we do not have.

We write the wish and want lists to help you with ideas - not to burden you with expectations.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • cmetzger93
    cmetzger93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »

Indeed this is how this one read this paragraph. Maybe no new system? No new companion yet? No changes to events perhaps?

But we are always excited for new things and when we make want and wish lists they should not always feel that we really think all the things we wish for are necessary no. It's just what we would like in the most ideal of worlds - which we know we do not have.

We write the wish and want lists to help you with ideas - not to burden you with expectations.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

If it's no new system I am hanging up my hat. The faint hope of spellcrafting one day is the only reason I keep playing/spending money. I am hoping that comment is more related to lackluster daily rewards, events not being updated and stuff that doesn't matter as much as a new system
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I think they could spend a year back filling some of the zones with new content. Several of the zones are beautiful, but once you quest them out, there's no reason to be there.

Many of the good things in the game have a vast amount of unrealized potential:

-Consider increasing node density in empty zones like Greymoor
    -Enhanced content with companions (ie: daily quests, deeper interactions, more customizations, new companions)
    -Housing has a never-ending list of requests
    -PvP content - consider introducing an IC campaign without tel var. (more like cyrodiil with AP and no loss to killed players)
    -PVP content - consider introducing BGs with CP.
    -Group finder for trials would open up existing content to many, many players that have never seen it before.

The list goes on and on and many great ideas are right here in these forums. The point is, they could spend a year doing things like this in place of trying to introduce a new system.

Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Kamchuk
    Kamchuk
    ✭✭✭
    You guys should have told us about your supply chain problems at least 6 months ago. That is something we ALL understand. The silence from ZOS has been mystifying and frustrating – as if you didn’t care. If you had communicated your supply chain issues earlier you would have saved yourself a whole lot of grief from people quitting or suspending ESO+. I personally assumed that since you were part of Microsoft that you had easy access to the best in cloud technology. Lessons learned going forward : communicate. We are not the enemy – we want you to SUCCEED. This is the best game there is. We love this virtual world and it can only get better.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kamchuk wrote: »
    You guys should have told us about your supply chain problems at least 6 months ago. That is something we ALL understand. The silence from ZOS has been mystifying and frustrating – as if you didn’t care. If you had communicated your supply chain issues earlier you would have saved yourself a whole lot of grief from people quitting or suspending ESO+. I personally assumed that since you were part of Microsoft that you had easy access to the best in cloud technology. Lessons learned going forward : communicate. We are not the enemy – we want you to SUCCEED. This is the best game there is. We love this virtual world and it can only get better.

I dunno. Honestly, even if they installed the hardware, if they did not tell us, likely no one would have noticed. Getting updates on hardware refresh that will only be noticed by the lack of surprise "hardware related" maintenance isn't exactly flashy news.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Kamchuk
    Kamchuk
    ✭✭✭
    Any hardware investments would only improve the performance of this game. I think that is what the "News article" was trying to say and that they are struggling with the supply chain just like every other faction of our economy. That is something we understand since we live with the shortages everywhere. Performance has been the single most frequent complaint we have all voiced. This upgrade and their investment shows that they are committed to sustaining this game for the long term. They should have told us of their supply chain issues sooner. Upgraded hardware may or may not solve ALL performance related issues, But it should resolve a lot and it would have convinced us of their long term commitment. That commitment has not been understood by all. That has been the most frustrating of all.