The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Spell Damage vs. Magic Damage?

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
Hello,

Is there a difference?

I was going to slot Degeneration which increases spell damage for 20 seconds, then then use Radiant Glory which does magic damage.

That going to give my Radiant glory a 20% bump?

Tanks,

Z
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic Damage is generic damage, where Spell Damage applies to all Spells you cast or proc.

Magic Damage might matter in this game if say, a MOB had some immunity to fire, then you could use magic damage instead.

So, it is just another form of Magic Damage like Fire or Ice. Although, the Elemental Magic Damages have Status Effects, where Magic Damage is just by itself. However the increase in Spell Damage will help any other Spells you cast.
    Edited by Nestor on December 4, 2021 2:47AM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    Hello,

Is there a difference?

I was going to slot Degeneration which increases spell damage for 20 seconds, then then use Radiant Glory which does magic damage.

That going to give my Radiant glory a 20% bump?

Tanks,

Z

"Spell damage" is a character sheet stat that is part of the formula for determining actual damage done by abilities that use magicka. "Magic damage" is a type of damage, differentiated from fire damage or poison damage or whatever. Most magicka skills scale off (10.56 * spell damage + max magicka). So if you had 30,000 max magicka and 3,000 spell damage, you would essentially be scaling off 30,000 + (3000 * 10.56) = 30,000 + 31680 = 61680. If you increased spell damage by 20%, would essentially be scaling off 30,000 + (3600 * 10.56) = 30,000 + 38106= 68106. 68106/61680 = ~1.104. So the 20% increased spell damage would be about a 10.4% increase in damage done by Radiant Glory. Other magicka-based attacks would gain that 10.4% damage done, too, regardless of what type of damage they do. Magic damage? Frost? Shock? Whatever. As long as it is a skill that uses magicka, it will scale off spell damage to a similar degree.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best example is War Maiden, that will boost your magicka skills but none of fire, shock or frost, so basically it works the best with Magplar, but not so much with other classes.
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic Damage is a non-elemental/neutral magical damage.
    🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spell Damage is just a stat. It and Max Magicka are what most abilities that do magic, fire, ice, and lightning damage scale off of. Magic damage has a status effect that applies minor magickasteal to the target allowing you to get a little Magicka back when damaging them.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK