The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Being hit way out of range with dual wield heavy attacks

EmperorIl
EmperorIl
✭✭✭✭
I was being hit by a DW NB way out of range, like not even on my screen most the time. Reviewing the video I captured one part where I was literally in the middle of the top floor of Bleakers being hit by him while he was on the edge, just to give you an idea of distance. I was dodge rolling to create separation that was never far enough. My ping was low 60's so not sure how much lag played into this.

Is there anything that extends range I don't know about or wth is going on here? It really sucks there is so much strange crap going on out there like this, and yes I will always question whether or not someone is hacking.
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Server desync and dodge roll didnt work on spin to win (if thats the skill we are talking about). Server lag sucks, but its not a cheat.
    Edited by Luede on November 30, 2021 8:53AM
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Server desync has been noticeably worse since game update.

Even BG's on console are showing a gradual decline in performance.
  • EmperorIl
    EmperorIl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Luede wrote: »
    Server desynch and dodge roll didnt work on spin to win (if thats the skill we are talking abount). Server lag sucks, but its not a cheat.

It was mostly the heavy attacks. Only one whirl and barely nicked me because I was on def-bar by that point.

So two people said dync, is this completely separate from ping? I've had dsync before but not when I was lag free.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EmperorIl wrote: »
    Luede wrote: »
    Server desynch and dodge roll didnt work on spin to win (if thats the skill we are talking abount). Server lag sucks, but its not a cheat.

It was mostly the heavy attacks. Only one whirl and barely nicked me because I was on def-bar by that point.

So two people said dync, is this completely separate from ping? I've had dsync before but not when I was lag free.

It really has nothing to do with ping. its server calculations as this was noticably increased when they made the clients smaller and moved more to the server back in early 2020. Also why they have done several tests and patches to try to reduce server side calculations.
    Edited by techyeshic on November 29, 2021 4:43PM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The server is behind your client when finding out where you are. Your client is trying to tell the server it moved to X position, but the server still had you at Y location. The opponent attacked you at the time you were at Y according to the server, the server registers the hit, but you might have on your screen moved like.... 2 meters away and shouldn't even be in range. This is the big flaw with online games and ESO's servers are a bit slow compared to others which is why this crazy stuff is common place.

Edit: It's also why your attacks have less range when moving forward and greater range when moving backwards, why it's a pain in the rear to land cone based attacks in a heated melee brawl, and why your skills won't cast because according to the server the 1 second global cooldown is still in effect for you because the poor server clock is bogged down in calculations. I have seen it take around 8 seconds to enter Unnatural Movement, Vampire's stage 4 passive, when it should only take 3 seconds due to server lag.
    Edited by Vevvev on November 29, 2021 5:25PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know for 2H heavy attacks have a bit further range than the light attacks. That maybe also be the case with DW. I haven't test DW ranges out yet. I tested 2H because I was unsure the range of 2H abilities but after testing I'm like why even use any Bow or Staff ability when 2H players can almost hit you at some of the range abilities max distance.
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    Play 20 or more BGs in a row (like I did for testing builds) and you will see desync is terrible. You can have situations like hit with two leaps or two dawnbreaker (first hit not the DoT ticks) in a row from one person, sorcs that hit you with crystal fragment six time in a row for 9K damage each, etc… And all this within 2-3 secs. It is not cheating it is just lag and server desync when you run with full health and then just shady screen showing you result of fight that never happened…

The greatest joke is when this happens on the startplaces, you move like 4-5 steps and fall dead 🤣🤣🤣
    Edited by xPoisin on December 1, 2021 7:07AM
  • EmperorIl
    EmperorIl
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know for 2H heavy attacks have a bit further range than the light attacks. That maybe also be the case with DW. I haven't test DW ranges out yet. I tested 2H because I was unsure the range of 2H abilities but after testing I'm like why even use any Bow or Staff ability when 2H players can almost hit you at some of the range abilities max distance.

No way this was in range, one hit he was literally on the far edge of the top of stairs of bleakers and I was in the middle where the two archers are lol. Sounds like just this desync thing, even with no lag which just blows my mind. How can your servers suck this bad.
  • Fizzyapple
    Fizzyapple
    ✭✭✭
    Every time someone mentions pvp cheat exploit or simply mumbles loophole every x(insertname)x player shows up to give some explanation that is anything other than cheat exploit or loophole. Some of those explanations are rather complex and elaborate. Review the long list of published patch notes, hot fixes, and mass player bans then you can decide if those things exist or not.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the player firing the attack at you was lagging, they could have "hit" you earlier but it took their communication with the server that long to compute it and then send you the information, which might be why it looked like you took damage way out of range

you could have had 60 ping, but the other person could have had 300+ at the moment, so their communication with the server could have been delayed by half a second, before transmitting the information to you (almost a full second delay likely)

this kind of lag is usually more noticeable in FPS type games

(this is my theory to what is happening)
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on March 10, 2022 4:18PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You are moving like your mom's car and the server is moving like a Ford Model T. ;)
    from speed.com: Engineers equipped the Model T with a front-mounted engine. It was 2.9L in-line 4 with a capacity of 177 cubic inches. This early power plant created a staggering 20 Hp (15kW) and a top speed of 45 mph (72 km/h).

Your mom's car can move faster but maybe only if she wants to go faster.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--