The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Sneak Attack Damage Questions

MrTarkanian48
MrTarkanian48
✭✭✭✭
I’ve been away from the game for awhile and just trying to get caught up on changes. I am on console. Looked through old patch notes but couldn’t find anything very specific…

Before I left, for certain attacks from stealth you would get a guaranteed critical hit as well as a bonus damage modifier on the first hit from sneak. The modifier was higher for melee attacks than it for ranged attacks. In testing in pve it seemed like you would get 3.75x normal damage on a melee hit plus 1x your normal crit damage. So if your surprise attack normal hit for 1000, and you had base 1.5 crit damage the attack would hit for

(3.75x1000) + (1.5x1000) = 5250 damage

I was able to replicate this a few weeks ago on my mag nb on pve mobs and on a dummy. I had a large damage boost with concealed weapon from sneak.

I am wondering if you still get this damage modifier in pvp, or some form of damage modifier, when you attack from stealth in sneak? Or did they remove this from the game, and only give a guaranteed crit from sneak?

I went to test for myself in a duel with a friend last night and seemed to only be getting a guaranteed crit with no bonus damage which made me wonder if it was removed from pvp. But then i tested on pve mobs and was no longer getting bonus damage either like i was a few weeks ago. I think the deadlands patch has changed/bugged stealth damage mechanics in PVE and im assuming this will be fixed at some point.

I am just wondering if there is still any damage modifier in pvp and it is currently also bugged, or if this was removed entirely from pvp.

Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
Altmer NB (DPS)
Imperial DK (Tank)
Redguard DK (DPS)
Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have a guaranteed crit for 3 seconds after activating Shadowy Desguise. Every now and then it can bug and not crit.

If you aren't a NB you have no way of doing this. It's a class feature.
    Edited by DrSlaughtr on November 24, 2021 5:25PM
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have a guaranteed crit for 3 seconds after activating Shadowy Desguise. Every now and then it can bug and not crit.

If you aren't a NB you have no way of doing this. It's a class feature.

I think we are talking about two different things.

Shadowy disguise “should” give you a guaranteed crit. So if surprise attack hit for 1000 in pvp and you had a base crit damage modifier of 1.5x, if you used shadowy disguise and then SA, you would theoretically hit for 1500 damage guaranteed.

What i am wondering about is specifically sneak damage, not crit damage. In PVE there was an additional damage modifier beyond just a critical hit. I am wondering if this sneak damage modifier still exists in PVP.
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No damage mod on sneak damage in PvP.
    Not sure if it causes stun now or not.

Actually reminds me how someone made clickbait video on that PTS and everyone was yelling to nerf NBs, while the bonus is only PvE and that guy shown no PvP footage.
    Edited by divnyi on November 24, 2021 8:33PM
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »

Actually reminds me how someone made clickbait video on that PTS and everyone was yelling to nerf NBs, while the bonus is only PvE and that guy shown no PvP footage.

You do cc when attacking out of sneak.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »

You do cc when attacking out of sneak.

Ah neat, didn't pay attention. That's why snipe snipe spammable/execute still works.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You do not cc when coming out of stealth with ranged attacks, only melee.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do not cc when coming out of stealth with ranged attacks, only melee.

Yes I should have clarified that.