The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

How does the companion system work?

HisShadowX
HisShadowX
✭✭✭
Hi everyone,

I just purchased the expansion for the PS4 and can't wait to play when I get home. I like the idea of a companion, but how does it work? I plan on starting a new game? Do I have to story break the content and go pick my companion up or can I simply travel to the town my companion is in and pick them up? Also can I give them the Vampire bite?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The companion levels are account wide, but their rapport is not. So IIRC, you do have to story break the content to go get Bastian or Mirri on your new character.

They cannot become Vampires.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Both companions are found in blackwood. You have to do their starter quest on every single character that you want them unlocked on. Like stated above, their levels and skills unlocked are account wide, but their rapport, is per character. Ideally, if you're trying to unlock their passives, do all of the rapport on one character. It can still take a literal month at least to max everything. It's meant to be grindy.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If it helps, the quests that unlock each companion are side quests, so you can avoid the Blackwood main questline if you're not ready for it and go straight to the quest location for whichever companion(s) you want. Then, once they're unlocked as a collectable, you simply summon them whenever you want them along.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They cannot become Vampires.

Or werewolves either.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Careful - the A key (or action key) which is used for jump, opening items, gathering - will frequently get over ridden to talk to the companion which is really annoying. Try to jump and your companion is too close - you will have a chat instead of jumping to get away...

I think is it is the X key the bottom one on the pad?

(someone please confirm?)
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just remember that to lvl their armour you need to have at least 5 pieces of type you want to level.

And that you get companion stuff as a loot only when you have companion active.
    Edited by Ippokrates on November 24, 2021 10:09AM
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can unlock quest for companion in collection menu