Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 14
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 14, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 4:00PM EDT (20:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• EU megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236

HOW to access the Deadlands

rageofodin
rageofodin
✭✭✭
I cant believe I actually have to ask this

Its a DLC I paid for

There is NOTHING in game pointing me towards understanding HOW to get to the Deadlands

[snip]

Im guessing its something really stupid, and probably seemed like a good idea at the time, but during implementation it blew up

[edited for profanity bypass]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 21, 2021 2:22PM
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is on the outer map like coldharbor, arteum, clockwork city. Just zoom out.
  • rageofodin
    rageofodin
    ✭✭✭
    oddbasket wrote: »
    It is on the outer map like coldharbor, arteum, clockwork city. Just zoom out.

There is no wayshrine open on the Deadlands like every other DLC released

You apparently have to start a Quest through the Collections menu and talk to several people BEFORE accessing

[snip]

A gamer should never have to rely on outside sources to figure out how to access content

[Edited for Bashing]
    Edited by Psiion on November 21, 2021 4:51AM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a portal to Fargrave in an unmarked cave just outside (east) of the entrance to Marbruk in Greenshade, but you can also just go to your map-- preferably by using any wayshrine-- choose the Fargrave zone, then teleport to the free wayshrine that's located just outside of Fargrave.

Then, once you enter Fargrave proper, look for the Plaza of Portals, located at about the 3 o'clock position on your map of Fargrave. The Plaza of Portals will have portals to two different sections of the Deadlands-- the Burn and the Sever-- as well as a portal to Leyawiin. The portal to Leyawiin takes you to a portal hidden behind (southwest) the Great Chapel of Zenithar, so an alternate way to get to Fargrave would be to take that portal.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • rageofodin
    rageofodin
    ✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    There's a portal to Fargrave in an unmarked cave just outside (east) of the entrance to Marbruk in Greenshade, but you can also just go to your map-- preferably by using any wayshrine-- choose the Fargrave zone, then teleport to the free wayshrine that's located just outside of Fargrave.

Then, once you enter Fargrave proper, look for the Plaza of Portals, located at about the 3 o'clock position on your map of Fargrave. The Plaza of Portals will have portals to two different sections of the Deadlands-- the Burn and the Sever-- as well as a portal to Leyawiin. The portal to Leyawiin takes you to a portal hidden behind (southwest) the Great Chapel of Zenithar, so an alternate way to get to Fargrave would be to take that portal.

Thank you! But the portals did not show up for me until I accessed the storyline associated with the quest, then they opened

I appreciate the detailed walkthrough though, as I am sure MANY, MANY others will as well
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rageofodin wrote: »

Thank you! But the portals did not show up for me until I accessed the storyline associated with the quest, then they opened

I appreciate the detailed walkthrough though, as I am sure MANY, MANY others will as well

That's odd, because I was able to see and use the portals in both Leyawiin and outside Marbruk without having accepted a quest for either the Deadlands storyline or its prologue quest.

I actually found the portal outside of Marbruk by accident, while trying to find an antiquity that I'd scried. A week or so later, I finally did the prologue quest for the Deadlands, which takes you to Marbruk. IIRC, you don't use the portal that's inside the cave during the prologue quest-- rather, you use a temporary portal that What's-Her-Name opens inside the Marbruk Outlaws Refuge, which takes you to a location from which Fargrave can be seen in the distance. But that's partly why I mentioned the Marbruk portal first-- and also because I didn't take the portal from Fargrave to Leyawiin and back until I was writing my post!
  • rageofodin
    rageofodin
    ✭✭✭
    rageofodin wrote: »

That's odd, because I was able to see and use the portals in both Leyawiin and outside Marbruk without having accepted a quest for either the Deadlands storyline or its prologue quest.

I actually found the portal outside of Marbruk by accident, while trying to find an antiquity that I'd scried. A week or so later, I finally did the prologue quest for the Deadlands, which takes you to Marbruk. IIRC, you don't use the portal that's inside the cave during the prologue quest-- rather, you use a temporary portal that What's-Her-Name opens inside the Marbruk Outlaws Refuge, which takes you to a location from which Fargrave can be seen in the distance. But that's partly why I mentioned the Marbruk portal first-- and also because I didn't take the portal from Fargrave to Leyawiin and back until I was writing my post!

Sorry, let me be more specific - the portals to the DEADLANDS did not show up for me until I accessed the quest

Fargrave did have an open wayshrine from the world map

For whatever reason, the DEADLANDS did not

This was rage inducing for me
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, I can sympathize with your confusion and frustration about how to get to the Deadlands, because I also found it to be confusing. I haven't even started the Deadlands storyline yet, nor had I done the prologue quest yet (although I have now), but I'd gotten a lead for an antiquity located in the Deadlands, so I decided to go visit the Deadlands for that reason.

I'd already found the portal to the outskirts of Fargrave that's hidden in the cave outside of Marbruk about a week before, but I think I went to Fargrave by wayshrine. When I didn't see any wayshrines on my map of the Deadlands, I figured I must need to go to Fargrave first. Each chapter and zone DLC has exactly one free, or already-discovered, wayshrine on the map of its zone, but for the Deadlands DLC the free wayshrine is just outside of Fargrave.

Part of the "fun" of ESO and other TES games is figuring out where things are (cities and other locales) and how to get there. That can also be a bit frustrating, but it's all part of the adventure and exploration. I first started playing ESO shortly after the Morrowind chapter was released, so I began on Vvardenfell and had fun exploring that zone, but it wasn't until I naively took a boat from Vivec City to Wayrest that my mind was truly blown. I spent the next several weeks going crazy, running from zone to zone and doing all of the quests completely out of order, having a blast.
  • Maya_Nur
    Maya_Nur
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same. I couldn't find any lead to the Fargrave and only after completion of the DLC I noticed one hidden portal in Leyawiin. How I supposed to know it's behind that corner? I mean, I have expected some invitation from Lyranth or something, but I just went there and:
    — Oh, stranger, looks like we are going to save the world! By the way, do you want to know why I'm wearing a mask?
    — No, not really... I don't like you either whoever you are.
    — Maybe I'll tell why, when we become closer to each other.
    — I said I'm not interesting. I'm looking for an arrogant female dremora, bye.
    — You mean Lyranth!? I work with her so now we are partners!
    — *#%@!
    Edited by Maya_Nur on November 21, 2021 5:46AM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maya_Nur wrote: »
    Same. I couldn't find any lead to the Fargrave and only after completion of the DLC I noticed one hidden portal in Leyawiin. How I supposed to know it's behind that corner? I mean, I have expected some invitation from Lyranth or something, but I just went there and:
    — Oh, stranger, looks like we are going to save the world! By the way, do you want to know why I'm wearing a mask?
    — *#%@!

As I said, I haven't started the zone storyline yet. But I assume that accepting the quest for the DLC will point you to where you need to go. As best as I can recall, each chapter and DLC has worked that way-- you accept a quest to start the storyline from the Crown Store, or else open up your Collections and accept the quest from there. There's nothing inside the game itself for starting the storyline "naturally," the way there is with all the NPCs who want to sdnd you off on prologue quests, so the only way I know to start a chapter or zone DLC storyline "naturally" is to just travel to the new zone by road, boat, wayshrine, etc., and then someone will get you started on the main storyline quest once you've arrived.

EDIT -- On second thought, I guess the early DLCs had NPCs who guided you toward the new content, such as Stuga who sends you off to Wrothgar, or the two NPCs in the various Outlaws Refuges who get you started in the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. There was even an NPC who sent you off to Craglorn. But I think that, starting with the Morrowind chapter, there have been NPCs who get you started on the prologue quests, but not for the actual chapter or zone DLC storylines-- that is, not until you travel to the new zone.
    Edited by SeaGtGruff on November 21, 2021 6:41AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's also a portal to Fargrave in the graveyard at Leyawiin, through the arch beyond Deetum-Jas and around the corner.
    Edited by Sylvermynx on November 21, 2021 2:16PM
  • Maya_Nur
    Maya_Nur
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maya_Nur wrote: »
    — *#%@!

As I said, I haven't started the zone storyline yet. But I assume that accepting the quest for the DLC will point you to where you need to go. As best as I can recall, each chapter and DLC has worked that way-- you accept a quest to start the storyline from the Crown Store, or else open up your Collections and accept the quest from there. There's nothing inside the game itself for starting the storyline "naturally," the way there is with all the NPCs who want to sdnd you off on prologue quests, so the only way I know to start a chapter or zone DLC storyline "naturally" is to just travel to the new zone by road, boat, wayshrine, etc., and then someone will get you started on the main storyline quest once you've arrived.

EDIT -- On second thought, I guess the early DLCs had NPCs who guided you toward the new content, such as Stuga who sends you off to Wrothgar, or the two NPCs in the various Outlaws Refuges who get you started in the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. There was even an NPC who sent you off to Craglorn. But I think that, starting with the Morrowind chapter, there have been NPCs who get you started on the prologue quests, but not for the actual chapter or zone DLC storylines-- that is, not until you travel to the new zone.
    There is also an NPC who guided you to the Murkmire. Back to the Deadlands, I've searched for a quest starter in CS and I can swear there was nothing, same in the journal. Didn't check Collections, but it just didn't come to mind :/
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish ZOS would put in-game quest starters for the DLC and Prolog content, even if it was a flyer on the wall in the bank or something. This use of the crown store to get the quest starters is convenient, but if it is the only thing they are doing, it is sort of "phoning it in" on their part. They probably want to avoid clutter, and it is easy to do, but I am sure they could come up with something better than Crown Store quest starters if they put their minds to it.
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    There's also a portal to Fargrave in the graveyard at Leyawiin, through the arch beyond Deetum-Jas and around the corner.

So, there are only two that we have found, then? Behind the houses outside of the south side of Marbruk and in the graveyard in Leyawiin?

Edit 2: Ok, if you own Deadlands, you can enter the hidden Fargrave portal in Marbruk and pick up the main quest there. You can also go through Fargrave to the transportation plaza and enter Deadlands zone without so much as a nod to the quest.

Marbruk portal cave entrance:
    GsJKtiN.jpg
    Edited by Elsonso on November 21, 2021 4:28PM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding Murkmire, are you talking about the NPC who is recruiting for the dailies that you pick up and turn in near the outskirts of Stormhold in Shadowfen? If so, I'm not sure it's correct to classify that as a quest-starter for Murkmire, since the dailies are all outside of Murkmire. Would they count as a prologue for Murkmire?
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Regarding Murkmire, are you talking about the NPC who is recruiting for the dailies that you pick up and turn in near the outskirts of Stormhold in Shadowfen? If so, I'm not sure it's correct to classify that as a quest-starter for Murkmire, since the dailies are all outside of Murkmire. Would they count as a prologue for Murkmire?

I recall it being called a prologue quest as were most prerelease introductory quests I remember.
  • PrimusTiberius
    PrimusTiberius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in agreement with OP's opinion, it was a clumsy way to start the story, it would have been better to have been met by someone rather than finding a portal behind a building. I found it odd that I had to click on the DLC from the menu in order to start the story, don't recall having to do this in past DLC's. (note: been playing ESO for over 5 years)
    Everyone is going in one direction, I'm going the other direction
  • DestroyerPewnack
    DestroyerPewnack
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just traveled to a guildie who was already there, and now I have a wayshrine unlocked.
    People might think that I got to the Deadlands because I put in work, effort and research, but the truth is, if I have gone farther, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.