The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Freezing while pickpocketing

Chilly-McFreeze
Chilly-McFreeze
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Since the last update the games sometimes freezes completely during pickpocket attempts. The game can then be shut down only via task manager. Sometimes it works very well for 30+ attempts in a row, so I can't really pin down what causes it. Even tho it feels like it happens more often when I attempt it out of movement instead of standing still.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on October 10, 2023 5:39PM
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't edit: I'm on PC EU.
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Chilly-McFreeze

Since this crash has happened multiple times with the same activity, it could indicate an issue with your game files. Please try running a repair through the ESO launcher to see if that helps.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE

I repaired the game through the launcher. It still freezes while picking pockets.

It even gets worse. Sometimes after I force close via task manager, relog and find the NPC I tried to steal from dead it freezes while I loot the body.
    Also had a freeze while leaving the banking NPC interface and quickly summoned a companion.
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Chilly-McFreeze

Thank you for the update.

Another step that may help is deleting these two settings files to ensure ESO is at it's default settings. To do so, follow the instructions below:
    1. Open up the Documents folder on your computer.
    2. Open the Elder Scrolls Online folder, then open the Live folder.
    3. Find the ShaderCache and UserSettings files.
    4. Create copies of each file, then delete the originals.
    5. Close everything and start ESO again.

NOTE: This will reset all in-game settings to their defaults. Please take a moment when you next log in to review the settings for the game.
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE
    Thanks for your help.
    I was about to write that deleting those files did the trick but freezings still occure occasionally, although far less often than before.

Quick question, as the error could lie within those two files and I'm completely oblivious to such things.
    Could it be possible that capping the frame rate has something to do with it?
    I set "SET MinFrameTime.2" to 0.01666666 to prevent stutters.
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Chilly-McFreeze

Have you tried enabling v-sync in your GPU settings to limit the framerate and see if that helps?
    Options
    Staff Post
  • P0PuPnP0P0uT
    P0PuPnP0P0uT
    Soul Shriven
    I am also affected by the freezing of the game while pickpocketing. it seems to happen mostly when pickpocketing nobles and at the point when you are about to be caught.

maybe this is the same for you and can maybe help in pinpointing the problem.

I also have to close the game through the task manager.
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this discussion is nearly two years old, we've decided to close the thread. If you still need further help, please go ahead and start a new thread in the PC Support forum.
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.