The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Trying out new whip changes for stam DK.

Jjitsuboy98
Jjitsuboy98
✭✭✭✭
https://youtu.be/EjwQWhlZCaw

Trying out new whip. Dots then leap into heavy vaats to molten fully stacked was goal. Followed by executioner. Haven’t played in a bit.
  • danthemann5
    danthemann5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing with Molten Whip a bit on stam DK. With a Charged maul and flame glyph, mag sustain doesn't seem to be an issue as long as I don't just spam whip like a fool. With 3 stacks of Seething Fury, the tooltip on whip is about the same as the tooltip on leap(!). I charge it up, Vateshran 2H heavy attack into whip, leap, and execute while the target is stunned. I like it. It works far better than Dizzy, and feels more Dragon Knight-y.

Even without leap in the mix, it's still a huge burst. It's basically ult damage on demand.

My two main gripes are these:

1. Since it's still a mag skill (which is stupid), it doesn't count toward stacks for Vateshran 2H.
    2. Since it's still a mag skill, a negate turns it off. But to be fair, negate also affects leap.

There really should be a stam morph.
    ZeniMax has no obligation to correct any errors or defects in the Services.

Greetings! We've closed this thread due to its non-constructive nature.

"You know you don't have to be here right?" - ZOS_RichLambert
  • GypsyKing22
    GypsyKing22
    ✭✭✭
    I tried so hard to get it to work but it always feels like I'm gimping myself by playing around it, though I probably just approached it wrong. I think it should work wonderfully as part of a burst combo because as stated, 3 charged molten whip tooltip is basically leap damage, and you can easily 'pre-charge' the whip with both noxious breath as well as flames of oblivion.
  • danthemann5
    danthemann5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried so hard to get it to work but it always feels like I'm gimping myself by playing around it, though I probably just approached it wrong. I think it should work wonderfully as part of a burst combo because as stated, 3 charged molten whip tooltip is basically leap damage, and you can easily 'pre-charge' the whip with both noxious breath as well as flames of oblivion.

A few thoughts:

Charged trait + flame glyph for mag sustain is necessary imo to make this work. Even so, I can't just spam whip all willy-nilly. I have to be smart about it, which for me can be difficult.

FOO, Noxious, and Venomous Claw all will count towards charges of Seething Fury.

Dizzy is a problem in lag where it can take anywhere from 2 to 20 seconds to fire, if it fires at all. The situation changes a lot in that time, making Dizzy pretty not useful.

If I can't use my stam spammable (Dizzy) reliably or often, at all, at least I can use whip for reliable damage. It comes down to a spammable I can't use versus one I can use with some restraint.

What I typically like to do is Noxious > Venomous > Noxious > Whip, follow up with leap and execute if appropriate. Light attacks between everything to keep the flame enchant going for mag sustain.

Just mashing the whip button isn't going to work.

• Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't aware of the change. I wondered why this guy was spamming his whip attack. Whatever he was trying to do, it wasn't working on me. I was like, this guy looks silly. What's he doing?
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes the damage tooltip is over 20 k for me. The leap into heavy attack vaats with fully charge whip is a good combo. I have no magicka sustain issues really running tri pots and Atro Mundus.

I will play more around with it as well but I did enjoy the setup. I think the molten whip would be a better option than flame lash and use it as burst because of magicka sustain.
  • danthemann5
    danthemann5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With Flame Lash, you're kind of forced into spamming it to get any kind of meaningful damage or pressure, and you just can't sustain that on a stam DK. Conversely, Molten, used sparingly for burst works great. In this situation, you're almost using Noxious as a spammable. It works well, better than expected, but I think the Mag cost is holding it back from being truly great.

• GypsyKing22
    GypsyKing22
    ✭✭✭

A few thoughts:

Charged trait + flame glyph for mag sustain is necessary imo to make this work. Even so, I can't just spam whip all willy-nilly. I have to be smart about it, which for me can be difficult.

FOO, Noxious, and Venomous Claw all will count towards charges of Seething Fury.

Dizzy is a problem in lag where it can take anywhere from 2 to 20 seconds to fire, if it fires at all. The situation changes a lot in that time, making Dizzy pretty not useful.

If I can't use my stam spammable (Dizzy) reliably or often, at all, at least I can use whip for reliable damage. It comes down to a spammable I can't use versus one I can use with some restraint.

What I typically like to do is Noxious > Venomous > Noxious > Whip, follow up with leap and execute if appropriate. Light attacks between everything to keep the flame enchant going for mag sustain.

Aye I don't run dizzy exactly because of this. Used to run it but the better I got, the more I look at dizzy swing as just a potato smasher - very hard to land dizzy on good players without some mad movespeed buffs.

If I am fooling around with whip, I prefer precharging whip with flames of oblivion because it seamlessly adds extra damage to the burst part of the combo (flames, flames, noxious, deep breath, whip, leap, execute) and don't use claw because it frees up a slot and dot pressure is kinda garbage in pvp anyhow (well I play battlegrounds and there its garbage in comparison to burst stacking)

I also dont use any 'spammable' in pvp because 9 times out of 10 even just self healing is stronger than the damage I can do with just using a spammable, but in 8 out of those 9 times there is also a dedicated healer further healing the person, which means if I am not lining up and stacking burst, I am literally just wasting my stamina/magicka for nothing lol
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A few thoughts:

you might not even need charged, the torc mythic might work well with cost reduction glyphs. Run low regen with cost reduction so you have high uptime on mag/stam regen
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
    The increased duration to ten seconds on the molten whip buff is also nice
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
    First time testing it in a bg. Feels pretty good. Burst is nice.

https://youtu.be/bEeSgdLackM