The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Comprehensive Bookshelf location list?

jle30303
jle30303
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm just looking for bookshelves, especially for those areas that have bookshelves in large concentration. Some eidetic-memory lorebooks can only be found in certain zones.

I'm looking for the kind of thing that actually lists them by area, subdivided by location.

Such as:

GLENUMBRA
- Daggerfall Mages Guild - *** (number of bookshelves present)
- Aldcroft Mages Guild - ***
- Enduum - ***
- Ilessan Tower - ***

It would certainly help when it comes to finding the last couple of lorebooks - I am having particular trouble finding any number or concentration of bookshelves in the "number 5" faction zones - Bangkorai, Reapers March, The Rift. Even the various Mages Guilds seem to be badly short of books there, and I can't find a well-stocked Ayleid Ruin for love or money.

(Also, does Eyevea with its own large collection of bookshelves count as a faction-zone-5 area, does it have the same random pool of books as Rift / Bangkorai / Reapers? It would logically make sense to do so, since it can only be accessed once the player has completed the Mages Guild in these zones.)
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Already got that. It shows the lorebook books - and, if you have eidetic memory (from completing the Mages Guild quest line), it shows the other eidetic-memory documents that are placed in specific locations, but it doesn't show BOOKSHELVES with random contents.

And there are some books which ONLY appear randomly on bookshelves, they do not appear as actual books in the wild, there is no single place you can go to and get that specific book, you just have to check every shelf in a particular zone and hope it comes up, and if not, come back again and check when they've been re-randomized. That's what I'm looking for.
    Edited by jle30303 on November 16, 2021 4:41PM
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    jle30303 wrote: »
    And there are some books which ONLY appear randomly on bookshelves, they do not appear as actual books in the wild, there is no single place you can go to and get that specific book, you just have to check every shelf in a particular zone and hope it comes up, and if not, come back again and check when they've been re-randomized
    i think the bold ^ sorta makes your question moot , no? (since technically, couldn't you just park your player at ANY bookshelf spot in X area and just keep 'reading' the same few bookshelves each day after random-reset-timer is up? )

Anyways, i know this is gonna sound super obvious (and annoying) but have you tried simply Google'ing "eso bookshelf locations" or whatever yet? Although, again because of the randomization aspect, this might be one of the few things in-game that can't be completely cheat-guide'd B)

Edited by NeeScrolls on November 23, 2021 9:18AM
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason I'm asking here is because I *have* googled it and there is no clear list of bookshelf locations. Like I know "there are usually a fair number in Mages Guilds" - not always, some mages guilds have only one or two bookshelves - and "ayleid ruins usually have rather a lot" - but beyond that I have not been able to find a resource that tells me what I want to know, even along the lines of "where are the best places to find a large number of bookshelves in The Rift, where are the best places to find a large number of bookshelves in Reapers March, where are the best places to find a large number of bookshelves in Bangkorai", that sort of thing.

Anyway I did eventually get all the randomizable books in the basic faction zones - the last couple turned up after about a week of running through the same locations over and over again until something turned up there. An Ayleid ruin in Malabal Tor proved a pretty good source for the tier-4 faction zone books (the ones which hide in Alikr, Malabal or Eastmarch), and so on... it was hardest finding the tier-5 ones (Bangkorai, Rift, Reapers March) because the only place I could find with even a double-figure number of bookshelves was the Evermore Mages' Guild. That sort of thing. Eventually the last book from that set turned up in The Rift in Shroud Hearth Barrow...
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    jle30303 wrote: »
    I did eventually get all the randomizable books in the basic faction zones - the last couple turned up after about a week of running through the same locations over and over again until something turned up there. An Ayleid ruin in Malabal Tor proved a pretty good source for the tier-4 faction zone books (the ones which hide in Alikr, Malabal or Eastmarch), and so on... it was hardest finding the tier-5 ones (Bangkorai, Rift, Reapers March) because the only place I could find with even a double-figure number of bookshelves was the Evermore Mages' Guild. That sort of thing. Eventually the last book from that set turned up in The Rift in Shroud Hearth Barrow...
    ah ok, awesome ! And heck, ironically now your post ^ and thread here will serve as the very (partial) guide of info for other players that you yourself were originally seeking! B)