The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How much to build a house in Surreal Estate?

Biscuit_290
Biscuit_290
✭✭✭
A house with 3 rooms on 2 storeys each and maybe one big basement. How much gold will I have to spend if I am to make/buy everything from scratch? Talking about walls, windows, ceiling and floor tiles. I don't know anything about this stuff. I don't want any crown store items because I don't have the patience to grind gold to pay for the exorbitant crown trading prices.
Edited by Biscuit_290 on November 9, 2021 10:42AM
  • TeruKisuke
    TeruKisuke
    ✭✭✭✭
    It kind of depends on how simple or complex your house will be: If you use the full 700, if you're a perfectionist like me who tries a furnishing but is dissatisfied so takes it out to try another, or are you pleased with the first you place down. Would you use cheap home goods building blocks, or would you craft most of them, and would they be expensive purple items or cheaper greens and blues? Would you use expensive achievement items? Lux vendor items?

The answer I have will probably seem scary. The custom houses I make tend to cost the 1.5-2mil range, at minimum. But houses are meant to be long-term projects. Meanwhile I shovel out homes within a month or two for the sake of contest deadlines. That time crunch may make you spend even more gold for more mats. Or, if you're patient, you can figure out for sure what you want.

I'm not sure what housing mat prices are on PC. On average, on Xbox, a stack of Mundane Runes is about 80k gold (60k if you're lucky), and Heartwood is in the 40-50k range. Those are the two main mats and they can cover crafting probably 18-22 items a stack depending on how much mats a furnishing costs. I think on average for each custom house I make I need about a thousand of each, as any less than that I need to run to the trader to grab more.

But, structure pieces are getting bigger and bigger. If you want a lot of space covered while using less mats, there are options for that. If you want every room to be custom in shape with different sizes and shapes... Then that will get more expensive, but it will be very worth it and it will feel amazing to have your own unique home. You can do slot-saving tricks, too. One wall might be tall enough to also be the wall on the second floor, and so on.

Gardens, on the other hand, are a lot cheaper. Most items can be found in home goods, and there are big trees and hedges like in Alinor home goods that cover a lot of space while not costing a lot. So that will also lessen expenses.

You don't need to spend a single crown to make a house. Most things are obtainable through crafting/gold, and it's far cheaper to do it that way. The trick is to think about investments. If you think you're going to use a lot of a particular item, it's cheaper to buy the furnishing plan than the individual item itself. If you don't know the plan but don't want to spend the gold on buying plans, as that can get expensive too, then ask around in your guilds and see if someone can make it. Chances are, they can. Typically people will craft for free but with mats.

It will seem like a long and arduous grind. But if the great homes you see are possible, well I think it's worth it. It's very expensive though, but if you do crafting writs on one character every day for half a year, that's a mil for just 3 minutes spent every day. It sucks but I do writs on like 12 characters a day to keep up with my hobby, and that can take about an hour 1/2 lol. But you don't have to do something like that though.

Well, this got pretty long. But feel free to ask any more questions or ask for any more advice. Or, if it seems too much, then you don't have to continue. I really like building so I got used to the arduous grind, and it's become a lot easier now that I have most the plans in the game, furnishings from each lux week which saves me time, storage houses of already crafted furniture, etc. Again, investments, but over the course of like 3 years, which you won't have to worry about if you're only looking to make one house and aren't in a rush to.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on what kind of recipes you want to use: some recipes for structural materials are a lot more expensive than others, and also the style materials for certain recipes can also get expensive. The base materials, like mundane rune and heartwood, that you need for most recipes, are also very expensive, and in the case of mundane rune, most structural items require it. If you've learned most of the recipes that you want to use, and if you have some materials saved, it will take around a million. or even less, for filling up all the slots, but if you have to buy most of the recipes and mats, this can increase exponentially. The same is true if you want to use achievement furnishings or luxury furnishings, because they tend to be really pricy as well. If you don't want to spend a lot of gold, there's structural items from green recipes that you can try out, and also funrishing vendors sell some items that can be used for building too. But the best way not to overspend (which tends to happen with housing a lot!) is if you are on PC and have the PTS installed, to make a mock-up of the build there (doesn't have to be completed) to sort of have an idea of what kind of items you will need, and then get only those on the live server (instead of crafting or buying stuff that end up not working for the build, etc.).
  • Biscuit_290
    Biscuit_290
    ✭✭✭
    okay I had my fill before even buying the land lmao; I'll just spend my hard earned gold on some real house instead. The grind is already tiring me out but I am still shy of a million buy 300k
  • TeruKisuke
    TeruKisuke
    ✭✭✭✭
    okay I had my fill before even buying the land lmao; I'll just spend my hard earned gold on some real house instead. The grind is already tiring me out but I am still shy of a million buy 300k

That is probably for the best, if you are newer to housing and don’t have a lot of gold or time. There are some nice prebuilt homes out there and it will allow you to get used to housing, the editor, getting furniture, etc. I love my custom homes but it is definitely expensive.