The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Max companions at least once or on all characters?

GretchenRPH
GretchenRPH
✭✭
I know that Mirri and Bastian are the same level across account so obviously you only need to grind them to 20 once each. But the mementos for doing their whole faction and quest achievements, which have the listed benefit "get their special bonus (loot bags or potent potions) even when you don't have them active" Is that something each character should do, or does the one memento each cover the whole account?

I do know I've seen characters who have not done a lot with Mirri other than unlocking her, get her bags even when the character is running with Bastian but have never checked with other people to get the community knowledge on this.

I have 11 chars. Do I need 11 Mirri and 11 Bastian mementos, or just once for Mirri and Bastian covers the account?

(and yes all have them unlocked but most are still at Acquaintance and have not worked up favor with them.)
(and yes I hope at some point there's a companion that doesn't squawk about a little back stabbing.)
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I suppose it depends on what you are doing. If you are looking to solo everything on all characters, why not. But if you are focusing on group content, then I'd say its a waste of time.

For me, I have them on all DDs but not on my tanks. Even then, I only break them out when leveling up skill lines like Mages Guild or Undaunted. Not complaining about the companions, but they don't add a lot of utility beyond distracting a world boss long enough to burn them down to 40% before your companion dies.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The keepsake is accountbound.

Unlock max rapport + all the other achievements on one character and you're good.

EDIT: And I'm intentionally *not* getting the keepsake from Bastian. I don't need all those extra not-stacking-well junk potions filling up inventory slots.
    Edited by Fennwitty on November 9, 2021 1:06AM
    PC NA
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »

Unlock max rapport + all the other achievements on one character and you're good.

EDIT: And I'm intentionally *not* getting the keepsake from Bastian. I don't need all those extra not-stacking-well junk potions filling up inventory slots.
    Does the Bastian keepsake add potions somehow? I'm just wondering, as I haven't yet met the keepsake requirements for it.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »

Does the Bastian keepsake add potions somehow? I'm just wondering, as I haven't yet met the keepsake requirements for it.

Well his ability is to have you find extra-special potions in the world. The end result is when I look in my inventory, I have a variety of potions to vendor instead of the neat stacks of generic health/stam/magicka.

Adventure with him out and you'll get the extra potions. Technically they're better than the generic 'trash' but still a far cry from player-made, so I vendor them all. And they sell for exactly the same as a normal potion.

Since his keepsake is to make his ability active all the time I'd assume that's what it does.

I intentionally am not maxing his rapport out though, because that would be more annoying to me than it's worth. So stealing in front of him etc.
    PC NA
  • GretchenRPH
    GretchenRPH
    ✭✭
    thanks all!
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bastion's keepsake does give you potent potions, which are essentially trash pots, with one extra effect. They do clutter up your inventory, because you might get one or two every so often. It is somewhat annoying. I've started just putting them in the bank, and will sell them if I ever get a full stack. XD
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bastion's keepsake does give you potent potions, which are essentially trash pots, with one extra effect. They do clutter up your inventory, because you might get one or two every so often. It is somewhat annoying. I've started just putting them in the bank, and will sell them if I ever get a full stack. XD
    Is there any way to avoid getting this keepsake, e.g. a dialogue you can skip?
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Getting the keepsake requires several different things besides max rapport. It's an achievement I think, whatever the 'Bastian's Best Friend' or whatever it's called under companion achievements.

Getting max rapport, doing all his quest lines, equipping at least one purple item I forget exactly. Leave off any of those and it'll never happen.

But if you simply ignore his quests you'll see an arrow over his head forever so that's probably not the one you want to skip.

I'm using an addon to show their actual rapport values, and it writes to the chat window on gains and losses with updated totals so it's not too hard to manage keeping it from getting all the way up.
    Edited by Fennwitty on November 12, 2021 4:09AM
    PC NA
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Getting the keepsake requires several different things besides max rapport. It's an achievement I think, whatever the 'Bastian's Best Friend' or whatever it's called under companion achievements.

Getting max rapport, doing all his quest lines, equipping at least one purple item I forget exactly. Leave off any of those and it'll never happen.

But if you simply ignore his quests you'll see an arrow over his head forever so that's probably not the one you want to skip.

I'm using an addon to show their actual rapport values, and it writes to the chat window on gains and losses with updated totals so it's not too hard to manage keeping it from getting all the way up.
    Yes, all the prerequisites are here: https://eso-hub.com/en/achievements/brother-in-arms

I haven't met the prerequisites yet, though, so I wanted to know if there's any way to avoid collecting the keepsake.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes, all the prerequisites are here: https://eso-hub.com/en/achievements/brother-in-arms

I haven't met the prerequisites yet, though, so I wanted to know if there's any way to avoid collecting the keepsake.

When you get the achievement, I think the keepsake is mailed to you. Don't know what happens if you ignore the mail. Or even if the mail is actually related to receiving the keepsake.
    PC NA
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

When you get the achievement, I think the keepsake is mailed to you. Don't know what happens if you ignore the mail. Or even if the mail is actually related to receiving the keepsake.
    Never mind: another approach occurred to me yesterday. I had equipped Bastian with all epic quality equipment, so I just replaced the boots with less than epic quality, so I'll never get the keepsake.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Never mind: another approach occurred to me yesterday. I had equipped Bastian with all epic quality equipment, so I just replaced the boots with less than epic quality, so I'll never get the keepsake.

Having him summoned with a single purple equipped even once will check the box for the purple gear achievement though.
    PC NA
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The keepsake is triggered as soon as you get the achievement, via an addition to the "Upgrades" section of your Collectables. The mail you get later is just a letter to go along with it. So the only way to avoid getting the keepsake is to make sure that at least one of those sub-achievements stays incomplete.

And yeah, if you've equipped any purple gear, you've already gotten that sub-achievement. It only takes one piece of epic gear to get it.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA