The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[SPOILERS] Not seeing cutscenes (but hearing/seeing subtitles) due to DLAA

architekt
architekt
✭✭
I just installed the game after returning from 4 years of not playing. I started a new character and wanted to play through the story chronologically. So I started on the path towards getting kidnapped and sent to the prison in Coldharbor. The thing is, after I met the gagged guy in the ship and then was hit, visually everything froze as if the game just took a screenshot. But I was hearing all the audio of what was happening and saw the subtitles for all the audio at the bottom, but I didn't see anything in regards to the actual cutscene that plays out. It was really weird. This also happened on a fresh install during some opening cutscene: I couldn't see what was going on but due to the subtitles and audio I could at least tell what was happening. I have attached the report generated via the launcher's "Game Consultant". Since that is a voluminous document, I will also summarize my system and drivers:

Windows 10 x64 Pro Version 21H1 (up to date, nothing to download)
AMD 5950x
Geforce 3090RTX on the latest drivers as of this post: 496.49
32GB RAM
NVIDIA overlay disabled, no other overlay type of things enabled
Graphics settings: 4k resolution everything maxed out except Anti-Aliasing set to NVIDIA DLAA, ambient occlusion set to LSAO, depth of field off
Windowed fullscreen, vsync on
I DO have "Multithreaded rendering" enabled. Not sure if that could be a possible culprit

I just now did a repair, went by pretty quick, didn't say anything was wrong (not sure if it would just figured I'd mention it).

Edit: OK I can 100% reproduce this every time by just purely hitting "Play Cinematic" on the character selection screen. Happens every time. I hear about the coming storm but the image is frozen on the character selection screen. Again, this is AFTER a repair.

Edit 2: Also tried with zero addons installed, same thing.

Edit 3: Aaaaaaaaaaaand solved it. It's the anti-aliasing: If I enable "NVIDIA DLAA" cutscenes bug out like described. Set it to TAA and it works just fine. TAA it is but just heads up looks like DLAA isn't working, at least for me. I should note that the driver I mentioned that I have installed for my video card specifically mentions that it supports the newly added DLAA that was pushed out Monday. Also, I tried seeing if there was an issue with DLAA and the multithreaded rendering being enabled, and it didn't matter if I had that option on or off: just setting DLAA caused cut scenes to not play.

Edit 4: I updated my title just now to indicate the cause of the bug since it took some discovery to determine what is the actual cause, in case anyone is wondering why it looks like I played detective when it seems that the title obviously explains why the bug happened.
Edited by architekt on November 4, 2021 9:01PM
  • Chrithu
    Chrithu
    ✭✭
    Same Issue but using DLSS. Now in the process of updating drivers. Will report back.
  • RancidMilkMonkey
    RancidMilkMonkey
    Soul Shriven
    There have been at least two or three driver updates since this post and it is still not working. It may be a programming bug on ZOE side.