Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Help! Unable to Uninstall ESO. (Need to move it to another drive)

BlackKnight556
BlackKnight556
✭✭✭
So I need to uninstall ESO from my current system drive and reinstall it on another drive that has more space. However, when I go to run the uninstall program I get an error about Java and all of my searches and attempts to fix that error have been utterly in vain. How can I simply remove the game from my system so that I can reinstall it to another drive?
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you really need to reinstall it? Wouldn't it be better to just copy/paste it on another drive and use e.g. symbolic links?

E.g. if you have your game installed in:
    C:\Program Files\Elder Scrolls Online

Just cut it from there and paste it on new drive in whatever location you want. E.g.

E:\Games\Elder Scrolls Online.

Now you just create symbolic link with a CMD command:
    mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Elder Scrolls Online" "E:\Games\Elder Scrolls Online"

Now system thinks your ESO files are on C drive while they are phisically on a E drive
    Edited by Mayrael on November 4, 2021 2:04PM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to give you a notice about edit I've made :) Also this can be used to speed up games when you have SSD drive and e.g. you are currently playing one of them. You can paste it on SSD drive without reinstallation, while system thinks its in old location. Game will load from SSD much faster, and when youre done with this game you can delete symbolic link and move the game back to its orginal location.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • BlackKnight556
    BlackKnight556
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I need to be able to delete ESO completely off of the system drive to gain much-needed space and my (somewhat limited) understanding of Symlinks is that you cannot delete the source data, e.g. the game would have to remain installed on both drives. Or is my understanding of that incorrect?
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I need to be able to delete ESO completely off of the system drive to gain much-needed space and my (somewhat limited) understanding of Symlinks is that you cannot delete the source data, e.g. the game would have to remain installed on both drives. Or is my understanding of that incorrect?

It's incorrect. Symbolic link only points to a real files location, so as I wrote you can store files on drive E and make system to think its stored on drive C, while all you have on C is the "shortcut" to location on E.
    Edited by Mayrael on November 5, 2021 6:55AM
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!

• BlackKnight556
    BlackKnight556
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, yeah that should work. Thanks.
  • BlackKnight556
    BlackKnight556
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, this worked perfectly. Thank you so much for your help. :smile:
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad I could help :)
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!