The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can't start the game - at all [Windows 10]

Bodycounter
Bodycounter
✭✭✭✭
I have updated the game yesterday and tried to start the game from launcher. The blue "processing circle" appeared but the game did not start, not even a window appeared. After waiting for some time the "play button" becomes coloured from grey again. Tried it several times and the game did not start at all. I ran a repair and completely reinstalled the game. Same issue. I tried to start the eso.exe directly with the same outcome. I started the game as admin and not as admin, nothing changed. Every driver is updated.

Before the update the game started and played without problems. Addons can't be the problem because the game is not starting/loading at all?
  • Alexium
    Alexium
    ✭✭✭
    Same here friend. ESO.exe just running in background. Windows 10 x64
    Options
  • Bodycounter
    Bodycounter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alexium wrote: »
    Same here friend. ESO.exe just running in background. Windows 10 x64

Forgot to mention that. When i directly start the ESO.exe it will show in the task manager (i can start it indefinitely) but nothing happens, it just runs in the background. I already had multi-thread rendering activated before the update with RTX 2080 and the latest driver.
    Options
  • Susan_Sto
    Susan_Sto
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem yesterday.

My game kept silently crashing before actually loading and with no error message. I renamed my Addons + Saved Variable folders as 'old' and ran the repair via the launcher.

I was then able to successfully launch the game.

I then copied the entries from my Addon Old + Saved Variable Old folders into the new folders that had been created and have been able to successfully the game for a 2nd time.

Hope this helps.
    Options
  • Bodycounter
    Bodycounter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Susan_Sto wrote: »
    I had the same problem yesterday.

My game kept silently crashing before actually loading and with no error message. I renamed my Addons + Saved Variable folders as 'old' and ran the repair via the launcher.

I was then able to successfully launch the game.

I then copied the entries from my Addon Old + Saved Variable Old folders into the new folders that had been created and have been able to successfully the game for a 2nd time.

Hope this helps.

I can't see any reasoning for addons breaking the game before you actually log in and they are loaded. I did the same as you though and it didn't help.
    Options
  • Foxtrot39
    Foxtrot39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same issue here, no fix worked so far
    Options
  • Foxtrot39
    Foxtrot39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Redownloading the game isn't working either
    Options
  • 3rdpig
    3rdpig
    ✭✭
    Mine worked fine before the update, after the update game crashes back to the desktop at the Bethesda splash screen every time. Tried all the troubleshooting, nothing works.
    Options
  • KilianDermoth
    KilianDermoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same issues since the last patch and nothing helped so far.

I described it in more detail here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/306130/discussions/0/
    And here: https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/qlpz51/game_not_launching/
    Options
  • Foxtrot39
    Foxtrot39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Currently in touch with support if they find a solution il post it
    Edited by Foxtrot39 on November 3, 2021 10:38PM
    Options
  • 3rdpig
    3rdpig
    ✭✭
    Foxtrot39 wrote: »
    Currently in touch with support if they find a solution il post it

I've had 3 contacts with them after submitting my ticket. First was pretty much "Did you turn it off and back on again?" and "Are you sure your computer is capable of running the game?".

Second was telling me to remove mods, do a repair installation, etc, etc.

Third was asking me to disable all Windows startup items and non MS services.

Still waiting on number 4.

Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    For those who have went through the crash troubleshooting found here and the crashing still continues, please go ahead and start a ticket with customer support.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Ronx
    Ronx
    Soul Shriven
    I'm having the same problem since the update on Monday, eso64.exe doing nothing in task manager
    I've reinstalled the game twice and many repair, windows to its latest version as well as graphic card, directx

Everything else on my PC works except eso
    Options
  • Kemenril
    Kemenril
    ✭✭✭
    Adding my voice to this mix. Happened to me ever since Update 32. Obviously a patch issue -- this has never happened to me before.

I have tried:
    • Uninstalling/reinstalling (twice)
    • Repairing from the client (several times)
    • Windows update
    • NVIDIA driver update
    • Video driver GPU dedication
    • Firewall exception
    • Uninstalling mods

I've submitted a ticket but I haven't heard back. Getting very upset here.
    Options
  • Bodycounter
    Bodycounter
    ✭✭✭✭
    I gave up at this point and submitted a ticket. This will probably take days or even weeks…
    Options
  • 3rdpig
    3rdpig
    ✭✭
    Just a quick update, my ticket has now been elevated and the first contact with the new tech had me reinstalling the Visual C++ 2015 redistributable, both x86 and x 64, restarting and attempting to run the game again. I'm sorry to say that it did no good at all, the game still exits to the desktop at the Bethesda splash screen.
    Options
  • Titusm
    Titusm
    Soul Shriven

same problem here , game not start
    ticket- tecnical answer -i did all they say - game not start :-(
    solved by unsubscribe my ESO + until this game work

Bye
    Options
  • KilianDermoth
    KilianDermoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned in a post before (with a detailed description via links) I have a very similar / the same problem but could solve it now for myself:

I tried several other stuff like:
    sfc /scannow

and
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Literally nothing helped and nothing had even a slight effect to the problem.

Support kept insisting on outdated drivers and found some malfunctioning drivers, so I updated them all and fixed some problems (for example with a problem in intels rapid storage driver which was triggered by an windows update). Until now it still had no negative effect, but I have to admit, that they could still cause such problems. Finally all of that didnt change anything and the game still behaved as before.

Then I had the idea to remove the game once again. Download it once again. Deactivate my network adapter (to ensure no Internet Access) and start the eso64.exe unpatched without using steam (not sure if I was in offline mode at the first try) and without using the launcher and the game finally popped up again!

I found out that it didnt work if all network adapters were disabled (starting but doing nothing without any error message) and it didnt work with all 3 network adapters enabled (Bluetooth, Ethernet and WLAN). Also it failed often (but not always) if I enabled 2 adapters and one of them had Internet. Finally after fiddling around with enabling / disabling the network adapters, restarting the game, then the launcher, then steam, going offlinemode and onlinemode in steam the WLAN adapter with internet connection started to work reliably again. A little bit later the Ethernet adapter started to work reliabliy again, too. The Ethernet adapter was the adapter I used before and after the patch when the problem occured. I didnt modify anything when it occured, especially not for the ethernet adapter.

I dont have a clue what finally caused the problem (steam, the game or one of the network adapters) and why it is solved for now, because the network adapters are configured as before.

Maybe it might works for others too, disabling / reenabling, maybe even reinstalling the network adapters. It still is somehow odd that this happend exactly with the monday patch, only affected the game and nothing else and happend at the same time for several people (if its the same issue).

My Ethernet Adapter is an Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E with driver 2.1.0.27 (from 18.09.2017). I couldnt find a newere one, maybe it is somehow broken?

My WLAN Adapter is an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 with driver 20.70.26.2 (from 09.08.2021).

Maybe one of them is causing the problem, I am curious if everyone who had the same problem and where the same procedure helped has the same adapters.
    Edited by KilianDermoth on November 5, 2021 1:28PM
    Options
  • Alexium
    Alexium
    ✭✭✭
    Look at memory usage in Task Manager. I can run the game if that usage is low. For example at 60% of 16 GB I can't. PC reboot may help me for some time.
    Options
  • Bodycounter
    Bodycounter
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found out that it didnt work if all network adapters were disabled (starting but doing nothing without any error message) and it didnt work with all 3 network adapters enabled (Bluetooth, Ethernet and WLAN). Also it failed often (but not always) if I enabled 2 adapters and one of them had Internet. Finally after fiddling around with enabling / disabling the network adapters, restarting the game, then the launcher, then steam, going offlinemode and onlinemode in steam the WLAN adapter with internet connection started to work reliably again. A little bit later the Ethernet adapter started to work reliabliy again, too. The Ethernet adapter was the adapter I used before and after the patch when the problem occured. I didnt modify anything when it occured, especially not for the ethernet adapter.

I dont have a clue what finally caused the problem (steam, the game or one of the network adapters) and why it is solved for now, because the network adapters are configured as before.

Maybe it might works for others too, disabling / reenabling, maybe even reinstalling the network adapters. It still is somehow odd that this happend exactly with the monday patch, only affected the game and nothing else and happend at the same time for several people (if its the same issue).

I have absolutely no clue why this worked but it did! I start the launcher, then deactivate all my network adapters, start the game, it launches and then i can reactivate my network adapters again and play the game. This is the most random thing i have ever encountered and i have no explanation why this works, but thank you very much!

Options
  • KilianDermoth
    KilianDermoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, you are the first for whom it also worked :) .
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Thank you for updating the thread and letting us know that deactivating network adapters has allowed the game to start. With the OP issue resolved, we will now be closing the thread from further posts.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.