Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

PC EU - Do people really buy full motif books?

Danikat
Danikat
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Again, this is specifically based on PC EU (because that's the server I'm on) prices and demand may well be different on other servers.

Last night I got a full Hollowjack Motif book from turning in a witches festival writ. Arkadius Trade Tools doesn't have a price because no one in my guilds has sold one and I assume other trade addons that use actual sales data would have the same problem. TTC lists it at 6mil - 15mil with a recommended price somewhere around 7-8 mil, but of course that's based on listings not actual sales.

Which brings me to my question: do people actually buy the full motif books? I've bought a lot of motifs and never even bothered looking for the full books (except for the old ones which didn't have individual pages), partially because they're so rare you'd be lucky to find one at all, but also because if you do it's often more expensive than buying individual pages. That's definitely the case here, you could get all the Hollowjack pages for far less than 6 million gold, so why would anyone buy the book?

Normally if I'm not sure an item is worth what TTC says I'd just list it for close to the lower end of the recommended prices and see what happens, but in this case I'm looking at a 60k listing fee and for me that's a lot to throw away on an item that won't sell.
PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not for consuming though. It's a collector's thingie, but even sales you can see might be people trying to resell and there's not much actual buyers around.

I'd just undercut it and hope that some reseller would snatch it fast enough.
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious about this too as I have one other book and I've kept it for years as I have not been able to figure out what to do with it. It's pretty much useless but would it have some collection value for an eso billionare as it's super rare.
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I listed it for 7 million and it sold!

Probably to a flipper, but that's ok, it's their problem now.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While not directly relevant, gold motif books sell for a ton on PCNA also.

I assumed people want to learn the whole style in a hurry for getting master crafter title, but honestly not sure. Except for Imperial Style book which is relatively common, full gold style books always go for millions.
    PC NA
  • GretchenRPH
    GretchenRPH
    ✭✭
    if you do master crafting writs and get the little slip currency from those, there are some full motif books that can be bought with those little currency slips (writ vouchers, I forget exactly, I'm not logged in) that are a good thing to spend those vouchers on.

For event motif books like you mentioned Hollowjack, there are a lot of individual pages on the market after the event you could piece the motif together but I guess for the whole motif book, it would be a boutique purchase for someone who has more gold than interest in doing the event. Witches Event writs gave you gift containers all of which seemed to have Hollowjack pages but not everyone wants to do those.
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For event motif books like you mentioned Hollowjack, there are a lot of individual pages on the market after the event you could piece the motif together but I guess for the whole motif book, it would be a boutique purchase for someone who has more gold than interest in doing the event. Witches Event writs gave you gift containers all of which seemed to have Hollowjack pages but not everyone wants to do those.

I dont think people buy these to complete their motif book, its pretty obvious when you sum up the prices. It must be a "trophy" thing.

""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • Seminolegirl1992
    Seminolegirl1992
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they sell for a lot on PCNA. 24 million is a listed price right now on TTC on our end, despite the motifs being cheap. I think some people collect them.
    @Seminolegirl1992 PC/NA CP 2400+ PVE, PVP, RP, Housing: Tel Galen, Fair Winds, Moon Sugar, Grand Psijic, Forsaken, HOTLC, Bastion, Ravenhurst, Gardner, Alinor, Hakkvild's, Gorinir, Kragenhome, Hundings, & more- feel free to come see!
    Former Empress | Swashbuckler Supreme | Godslayer | Gryphon Heart | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Dro-m'athra Destroyer | Dawnbringer