Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 21
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Furniture Idea: Filled Shelves, But Not With Books

TeruKisuke
TeruKisuke
✭✭✭✭
The selection of bookcases we have is lovely, but seeing the city of Fargrave makes it apparent that it is time to include more than just bookshelves. Shelves can be filled with all sorts of things. Things, such as:

-China Cabinets (Prized silverware, pretty plates, fancy drinkware...)
-Display Cabinets (Small curiosities that could fit on a shelf)
-Shelves overflowing with scrolls, envelopes, and files
-Laundry shelves (Stacked sheets, folded linens, clothes, hampers, baskets, rolled up rugs)
-Pottery Pots
-Alchemy Shelves (Lined up bottles, containers, packets, pestles, tools, decanters, potions vs poisons, bubblers, mixers, chemistry pots, etc)
-Lined Ingredients (Already filled with cooking ingredients, food, spices, filled counter shelves, or Alchemy ingredients like mushrooms, herbs, roots, leaves, etc)
-Repair Tool Shelves
-Torture Tool Shelves
-Gardener's Shelves (small potted plants lined up, gardening tools, etc)
-Magical runes lined up for enchanting
-Different shiny gems and rocks (maybe even soul gems)
-Trinket boxes/facade storage chests
-Family heirlooms, small family portrait, treasured family artifacts and antiques
-Small clocks and compasses
-Wooden carvings
-Merchants' Wares, with price tags attached
-Toys/Dolls/Figurines
-Art Supplies/Rows of ink bottles and quills

That's merely what I could think of on the spot. There's many possibilities where this could go, and I think it has big potential. Part of the problem of filling up a room is because we're trying to make it look full and lively, and so I think having filled shelves for all sorts of interests could mitigate that.

I think the closest thing we have to something like this is the purple Redguard bookcases. They still have books, but they have other things like bottles, pots and decanters that really make it look full and varied. And we haven't gotten any newer furnishing assets that are like it.

I've brought up this concept before after seeing Fargrave, but I wanted to elaborate a bit more on it. It's always great to see *clutter* pieces, which tends to save slots for me while looking nice.
Edited by TeruKisuke on November 1, 2021 8:00AM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Great idea! I like the Redguard bookcases, there are two different filled plans so you can alternate them in a setting and not have identical ones next to each other.

It’s great that we have bookcases that are filled now. More filled options are even better. Personally I wish they’d quit making plans for empty bookcases. It’s just one more plan you have to farm to get them all and I never use them if a filled plan is available in that style. There are very few items that will even fit in them anyway.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• TeruKisuke
    TeruKisuke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @katanagirl1 Thanks! Yeah, the Redguard ones have a lot of uses. I have even used them in kitchens while pretending the books are cookbooks, or into other bookcases to "fill" them.

I think the empty ones have their uses, but it would be nice if the shelves were taller and could actually fit anything. Often times the space between shelves is only barely able to fit the books they were even meant for. Realistically, you'd want some space above the books so that you're not cramming them, and it'd be impossible to reach in. Also, a lot of the newer filled bookcases look... ransacked? Open books, short horizontal stacks, messy. I like the Redguard and Hlaalu Orderly bookcases the most since they look so full and cluttered, but the newer ones I haven't used as much since they look quite empty. I get what they were going for (letting us fill them even when "filled"), but if I were to do that, I'd just pick the empty version. It's hard to line up books orderly in the fashion they have it.
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Theres so much of this stuff in The Sims, I use it a lot in that game.
  • TeruKisuke
    TeruKisuke
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to show some examples of filled shelves because I feel like it really cements an idea. Just describing it feels too vague and like it is not possible. So here are some pictures and concepts I like:

r5w8l7cbk8q5.jpeg
    yv8vsmn12dtk.jpeg
    7gr54nrv7npn.jpeg
    aqchq4hsdb3o.jpeg
    crbhpgqrcuj9.jpeg
    1k5o5cv3j2qa.jpeg
    tfy3827zeth2.jpeg
    nbfizk6hcigp.jpeg
    0c3wt3odcvdg.jpeg
    j2ugibxvrxua.jpeg
    t7ejua9tsjwx.jpeg
    0vayu6pblpob.jpeg
    pfy7ix3pex69.jpeg
    u0ghny2ipaqw.jpeg
    jhzira9vpd0y.jpeg
    jis15mbn8afk.jpeg
    ka5fe7d1cue5.jpeg
    Edited by TeruKisuke on November 3, 2021 4:02PM
  • desndb
    desndb
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my goodness, Yes! Please!

Must have all these ideas! Would save Sooo many slots!
  • TeruKisuke
    TeruKisuke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Filled Shelves concept, for a bakery:

954i6o7e01gh.jpg
    ukr43t8a1bf5.jpg
    ehnh439kz8y1.jpg
    hj8cb9jyh3z7.jpg
    17pniujoy89n.jpg
    lt48qxww4tms.jpg
    tf1dxn0cdy1z.jpg
  • Cillion3117
    Cillion3117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best idea ever! I'd love to see something like this come to the game.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love these ideas, especially the laundry one for some reason I can't explain!
    PCNA
  • TeruKisuke
    TeruKisuke
    ✭✭✭✭

@SilverBride For my player house I really wanted a cute laundry closet to make it really feel "lived in" with necessities, but I was only able to really do the bare minimum. It's a sad little closet at the moment lol. Not updated with new stuff yet, gonna redo the whole house, but a "Filled Laundry Shelf" would really bring life to the whole idea.

glmt3bur8dik.png
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TeruKisuke wrote: »

@SilverBride For my player house I really wanted a cute laundry closet to make it really feel "lived in" with necessities, but I was only able to really do the bare minimum. It's a sad little closet at the moment lol. Not updated with new stuff yet, gonna redo the whole house, but a "Filled Laundry Shelf" would really bring life to the whole idea.

That looks great! I may have to "borrow" your idea! :smile:
    PCNA
  • TeruKisuke
    TeruKisuke
    ✭✭✭✭
    @SilverBride Feel free! I'm gonna try to improve on it in my next design for the house using Leyawiin stuff. 🙂 Just haven't gotten around to it.