The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does there REALLY have to be torchbugs around every quest interactable?

Arato
Arato
✭✭✭✭✭
[snip]

Always around skyshards and other interactables too. It seems quite deliberate with their placement.
just to make people lose affinity with Mirri and annoy them.
kinda like putting stealable objects right next to merchant NPC's.

[edited for bashing]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 31, 2021 10:31AM
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Reading too much into it. ZoS recently changed targeting when interacting with interactables in game. This came with some upsides, but many major downsides like targeting the wrong interactable. Constantly. And they haven't really done anything to address it. It's not a huge deal, it's annoying, and it would probably be better if they just reverted that change, but they won't. they'll let it sit for months and months and eventually do something to fix it only for another problem to pop up, they're pretty good at making more work for themselves by fixing stuff that isn't broken.
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    moth.jpg
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think we need to have a toggle to prevent us from plucking the wings off small innocent creatures. Our companions frown on such behavior.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Butterflies around wayshrines too.

Anyway, why do the companions get upset at such stupid little things like that? Mirri complaining about me picking the odd insect. Bastian whining about me cooking. Does he hate chefs or something? Has he had a tongue-lashing off Gordon Ramsay that's left him sore?
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • deleted220614-000183
    I tend to agree,
    Torchbugs are really annoying especially when farming with Mirri, which hates harvesting insects.

Putting stealable items on Merchants and Guild traders is next ZOS obsession.

It is causing a lot of unwanted troubles with guards and if company thinks it is improving the ompression from the game, well, it is not the case.

[snip]
    [edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 31, 2021 12:34PM
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    trpajzla wrote: »
    Torchbugs are really annoying especially when farming with Mirri, who hates harvesting insects.
    That's the #1 reason why I didn't choose her.

Besides, I'm waiting for the Companion Romance Update, so Bastian and I can have snuggles.

• drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    trpajzla wrote: »
    I tend to agree,
    Torchbugs are really annoying especially when farming with Mirri, which hates harvesting insects.

Putting stealable items on Merchants and Guild traders is next ZOS obsession.

It is causing a lot of unwanted troubles with guards and if company thinks it is improving the ompression from the game, well, it is not the case.

[snip]
    [edited for bashing]

But there IS a toggle to prevent you from stealing objects (you can still loot from containers, as long as you exit the menu, it's not illegal and you won't get a bounty). Just toggle that one on and you can spam interact and won't accidentally steal anything.

Also, Bastian hates cheese, so he hates it when you cook with cheese, I can deal with that, but it does feel sucky that as an alchemist, Mirri hates you plucking butterfly and torchbugs (still, I can simply dismiss her and then bring her back once I'm done farming, it's not a big deal).

I do think that Mirri should hate you ONLY if you take the butterfly wings, there's no reason for her to hate it when you interact with them alone. That should prevent many unwanted accidents.
  • Cillion3117
    Cillion3117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are right. It's all a conspiracy organized by those pesky torchbugs. This is just the first step in their 5 step plan to take over Tamriel.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I have only played since 2017, but I have never encountered this issue.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are on pc, get the NoInteract addon and blacklist pesky insects and also pesky npcs including companions. It's a toggle.
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading too much into it. ZoS recently changed targeting when interacting with interactables in game. This came with some upsides, but many major downsides like targeting the wrong interactable. Constantly. And they haven't really done anything to address it. It's not a huge deal, it's annoying, and it would probably be better if they just reverted that change, but they won't. they'll let it sit for months and months and eventually do something to fix it only for another problem to pop up, they're pretty good at making more work for themselves by fixing stuff that isn't broken.

I've noticed that when I use skills on enemies my single target attacks will zap a critter rather than what I'm aiming at, even if the critter is directly sideways of me now.
    That's pretty irritating too.
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and trying to interact with a skyshard while there was a butterfly BEHIND me.. well, my character spun around and looted the butterfly rather than start the skyshard...
    what did they do to targeting recently anyway? make bugs and critters the priority target?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are on pc, get the NoInteract addon and blacklist pesky insects and also pesky npcs including companions. It's a toggle.

This. Works wonderfully for disabling the ability to interact with anything you want. And each type of thing you disable can be easily toggled on/off. Butterflies, torchbugs, stealable items near crafting/turn-in areas, even companions themselves.

After my character accidently stole something with Bastion around and he yelled at her, she permanently fired him and will only use Mirri now. Thanks to that addon, she has never molested a butterfly or torchbug.

The underlying problem is giving companions negative rapport features that rely on things you can easily, accidently do. If such features are necessary, make running afoul of them a very conscious active act that is not likely to be done accidently.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on October 31, 2021 11:53PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • bruta
    bruta
    ✭✭✭
    lmao, found a torchbug right inside the Blackwood crossroads wayshrine. and ofc I had Mirri with me:D
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arato wrote: »
    Oh and trying to interact with a skyshard while there was a butterfly BEHIND me.. well, my character spun around and looted the butterfly rather than start the skyshard...
    what did they do to targeting recently anyway? make bugs and critters the priority target?

Based on what's in front of your camera, not character. If the target reticle is over the hit box of a butterfly it'll pick the butterfly since it's in front of the hit box for targeting the skyshards.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not intentional, because the bugs predate Mirri by far.

It is, however, staggeringly bad design. Here you are, looting the enemy you just killed, interacting with some magic statue, talking to some NPC, or trying to wayshrine when some bug you never saw but with a preposterous hitbox costs you rapport with Mirri. AND YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO LOOT IT! You lose the rapport the moment the dialogue box opens!

Rapport is a numerical representation of an RP element. She's mad at you for killing the bug. BUT YOU DIDN'T KILL THE BUG YET! If you exit out, the bug flies off. But Mirri is still scolding you and angry. Someone made the choice to make it this way, but there's straight-up no defense for it ever to have gotten out of internal testing the way it is.

It's a small thing, a petty thing, maybe not worth getting worked up for, but nonetheless there is one, exactly one note that should have been given by the internal testing team on this: "This is unfair and frankly kind of dumb. Change it so you get the rapport penalty when you actually loot." And that should have been the end of it. How do things so binary-bad happen?
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you play on PC platform, there is the "NoInteract" addon for this case,
    and "No, Thank you" addon has "prohibit interaction with insects" option.
    PC EU
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Design flaw but don't think ZOS cares enough to change it or own up to it being a mistake and changing it. Stupid idea to have something we have done for years and still need to do to have a negative rapport. Console player so no add-on to fix bad programming/choices ZOS has made.

Just like the green tree mess. I mean how much of a server load can it be to see it we have the perk to increase the duration of food/drink. Something we do only at most once and hour.

Stay safe and happy hunting :)

• deleted220614-000183

This. Works wonderfully for disabling the ability to interact with anything you want. And each type of thing you disable can be easily toggled on/off. Butterflies, torchbugs, stealable items near crafting/turn-in areas, even companions themselves.

After my character accidently stole something with Bastion around and he yelled at her, she permanently fired him and will only use Mirri now. Thanks to that addon, she has never molested a butterfly or torchbug.

The underlying problem is giving companions negative rapport features that rely on things you can easily, accidently do. If such features are necessary, make running afoul of them a very conscious active act that is not likely to be done accidently.

Hey, it is not working for me.
    This game is a MMORPG, not flight simulator and I don't need 2 hours before the flight checklist which toggles I want on and which off depending on what I want to do.
    Not mentioning that addons tend to break down after couple of weeks/updates as ZOS ignores addon community spectacular way and poorly maintained addons are causing more damage then the game itself and my time (and patience) is limited.
    So if studio is making those decissions I just honestly giving them feedback they are utterly wrong.
    If they ignore feedback/ redacting posts, it has impact on their revenue as I stop buying
    If they still ignore, I stop playing.

As simple as that.