The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Audio frequently cutting out and timing issues

PrinceShroob
PrinceShroob
✭✭✭✭✭
The audio for several lines of dialogue no longer play or get cut off prematurely. This frequently seems to affect dialogue delivered from a speaker who is not present (that is, not visible). A good example would be High Kinlord Rilis' dialogue in Banished Cells I and II. Before fighting Shadowrend in Banished Cells I, his first line of dialogue ("What delightful folly is this? The Keepers have enlisted an outsider to face me?...") is silent, though subtitles appear for as long as it normally would take to play. In Banished Cells II, all of Rilis' audio for the start of the dungeon ("Poor Cirion..." onward) is silent, though Keeper Cirion's plays normally.

As an additional example, in Arpenia, in a certain part of the delve, the Duke of Crows speaks to you, saying "You, my giant, are unstoppable..."; this audio played fully when Blackwood first released but now frequently cuts out and becomes silent. If the player stands completely still when the dialogue starts, the audio plays correctly. If the player moves, such as moving behind the rubble nearby, the audio cuts out until the player moves back.

This issue seems to be connected to invisible speakers and dialogue triggers--almost as if, if the player is outside the trigger zone for the dialogue or leaves the trigger zone, the audio goes silent. It seems as if the game is trying to muffle or attenuate the audio due to an obstruction, but because the speaker is not physically present, it cuts the audio off instead.

Additionally, a few lines of dialogue are overlapping and being cut off. A good example is Moon Bishop Azin-jo's dialogue after defeating Yolnahkriin and Lokkestiiz in Sunspire. He cuts off his first two lines of dialogue ("You yet live! And the little lattice is dispelled!" and "What powers are at work that you can defy the will of the Moons and win?") to reach his last line ("I'm warning you! If you dare profane holy Alkosh's chancel, you will be damned beyond all damnation!"). Dialogue being cut off is an issue all across the game. I strongly recommend attempting to fix quest audio to use the duration of the audio file rather than some external timer.

The Moon Bishop's audio is also cut off when approaching Yolnahkriin from the right side of the temple if the player walks behind a pillar, so while the audio cutting out mostly affects invisible speakers, it does also affect other actors.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on November 4, 2021 12:02AM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We recommend the troubleshooting in this article if you are encountering an audio issue in ESO on PC.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    We recommend the troubleshooting in this article if you are encountering an audio issue in ESO on PC.

I tried all that. I've repaired the game twice and my audio devices haven't had their drivers updated, and Rilis is still silent at the start of Banished Cells II. And I've also noticed that the NPCs in the Belkarth market are having one-sided conversations, completely skipping one half--that can't be purely an audio issue on my end.

This issue started with Waking Flame, if it helps. Audio didn't cut out before then. And I've tried disabling Multithreaded Rendering, it made no difference.

The patch notes for Deadlands say "Updated the game audio to ambiance spatialization"; are you absolutely sure this isn't an issue with the game itself?