The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Scaling housing furnishings

Welewa
Welewa
✭✭✭
Its been brought up before, at least in regards to antiquities but its been an issue from the start. I don't know who makes the decisions about how big something is but it doesn't seem to be taking into consideration the size of the players. When a mug of milk is as big as your freakin head, there's a problem. When a tea cup is the size of a soup bowl, there's a problem. Giving us the ability to scale the size of items would fix that, especially with the extremely low limit on housing furnishings.

We know ESO has performance issues. We suffer through them. We know that house furnishings are limited because of the impact on game performance. ZOS seems headed in the general direction of improvement with their attempts at overhauling bloated and overly complex systems but we also know that housing is not a first priority. Consider your whales though, before they become extinct.

Of course, I have no idea how difficult it would be introduce and I dont know if it was even considered from the start. I know other games have the capability. What I do know, is that housing is one of the few enjoyments left for me in this game after playing for years and its also a constant source of frustration for me, especially after my housing experiences in Rift and SWG. So I'm hoping it could be consideration or a possibility.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While it might not make sense to make some things larger or smaller, it would be nice to scale items like trees so you could use the same one in multiple places but a smaller or larger one nearby would make them not look exactly the same. Now you can only rotate them around a bit for some variety.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• YenYuan
    YenYuan
    I don't think this is nearly as high a priority as raising the damn furnishing caps though. With furnishings that are the wrong size, you usually (with some minor exceptions) have some other options in the vast number of models in the game.

When you're decorating a large house, you have no option to actually decorate the whole house, god forbid you want to fill in moonsugar meadow...
  • YenYuan
    YenYuan
    Also, another huge problem with this is that the textures are probably of a fixed resolution. You could raise the texture resolutions to the max as you scaled, but very quickly they would become pixel monsters. Maybe a limited scaling factor could keep things within reason.
  • JJOtterBear
    JJOtterBear
    ✭✭✭✭
    YenYuan wrote: »
    Also, another huge problem with this is that the textures are probably of a fixed resolution. You could raise the texture resolutions to the max as you scaled, but very quickly they would become pixel monsters. Maybe a limited scaling factor could keep things within reason.

this is probably why they don't allow it. because the textures are most likely a fixed resolution. and lets face it, a lot of furniture textures at the size they are now, are pretty bad looking. imagine them scaled up. it would just be a blob of pixels.

also as far as increasing the furnishing cap goes, they have pretty decisively said they will not do that.

a lot of players agree that they should make exteriors and interiors separate instances with a loading screen. that way inside and outside would both get max furnishing limits instead of sharing a universal one.
    Edited by JJOtterBear on October 22, 2021 12:56AM
  • Welewa
    Welewa
    ✭✭✭
    I really have to wonder how RIFT did it and was able to do it effectively, including having some HUGE items and some TINY items without them looking like crap. Its been my second favorite game for housing, ever. They also manage to have thousands of items allowed in a home/housing area when its been upgraded.

ZOS has tentatively said they will look at possibly raising the limit down the road and I hope they do, because currently there's not enough allowance to decorate these huge, beautiful homes they keep offering for crowns. I don't bother to buy them anymore simply because I can't do them justice in all their glory, without having spaces look sparse or hiding access/cutting off access to parts of it, to make it seem smaller. I think, however, that it will be some time before such a thing becomes a reality (raised item cap), if it becomes one at all.

I still believe scaling would help, because at least you could size things the way you need or want them, which could help fill in areas but the original reason for the post was sparked because of the tea cups, which I've wanted forever, and then was extremely disappointed with when I saw they were the size of bowls. It caused me to wonder if the sizing of items was ever considered against the average sizes of the characters. I mean... a cup of milk as big as a Nord's head? No wonder no one wants to be labelled a milk drinker... :p
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welewa wrote: »
    I really have to wonder how RIFT did it and was able to do it effectively, including having some HUGE items and some TINY items without them looking like crap. Its been my second favorite game for housing, ever. They also manage to have thousands of items allowed in a home/housing area when its been upgraded.

I absolutely loved my dimension in Rift. Being able to resize items really opened up creativity. For example, I built a full house then shrank it down as far as I could, so I ended up with a miniature doll house. And I increased the size of a mushroom cap as far as I could and turned it into a flying saucer hovering over my house.

I would like these same options in ESO, especially for items like curtains, doors, walls, platforms and stairs, etc..
    PCNA