The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

ESO+ sub and Free trial issue

Vindold
Vindold
✭✭✭
ESO+ Free trial time should be added to ESO+ sub. time, should be fair don't you think?
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally don't mind either way, but I think you are right.
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would it? it's not for those already subscribed to ESO+.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't need something like that. I'd rather have the free crates back.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oddbasket wrote: »

Because being generous with this would buy ZOS a great deal of goodwill from their subscriber base - it doesn't even cost them something extra, because most subscribers are likely to stay subscribed for as long as they are actively playing.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

Yeah, something, anything really. Any nod to the fact that we are paying for something everyone else is getting for free for a week.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vindold wrote: »
    ESO+ Free trial time should be added to ESO+ sub. time, should be fair don't you think?

Why?

I chose to sub, as is affordable & convenient & gives good value for money.

If the free trial encourages others to sub, then that it a good thing.

It does not take anything away from my subbing, so not sure where this complaint comes from, other than it is does sound a bit demanding and entitled. What harm is it?
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It costs them a weeks revenue across all accounts. Not saying they should or shouldn't, just that probably a quarter of their monthly revenue. From subs anyway.

Ultimately, lots of companies offer free tirals. Amazon's always offering something; I don't expect to get a refund on my prime because someone else got a free week to try it.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

this would make a whole lot of sense for ZOS too, to be generous with that. I mean they introduced "special deals" for subscribers, so why not something what shows their appreciation for subscribers and get even more goodwill in return.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was wondering when this obligatory thread would show up... as it always does every time there's a "free" anything.

(BTW I've been playing since launch, always subscribed, sometimes multiple accounts)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I miss those crates, just like I miss those kittens.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larcomar wrote: »
    It costs them a weeks revenue across all accounts. Not saying they should or shouldn't, just that probably a quarter of their monthly revenue. From subs anyway.

Ultimately, lots of companies offer free tirals. Amazon's always offering something; I don't expect to get a refund on my prime because someone else got a free week to try it.

nah, it would cost them a week across all accounts, if subscribers would end their subscription after it expires - what most will not do, but stay subscribed - so it actually costs ZOS nothing to be generous with it and get goodwill of their regular paying customer base with it - subscribers pay for the show basically, ZOS could show a bit more appreciation here.

Edit: this said, it is not that one would have an advantage from it as a permanent subscriber - it is the same virtual, but it creates goodwill.
    Edited by Lysette on October 19, 2021 2:29PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

These threads have prompted me to wonder something. Is it expected that I should chase down every subscription I have and get an extension or refund any time a free trial or discount membership is offered to non-subscribers. I mean, I have a number of subscriptions and term offers, from Costco to my internet provider, and they are always offering things to non-subscribers if they start. I generally ignore it. Actually, I generally don't pay attention. Should I be tracking this so I can call them up whenever they do this? Is this a thing?

Serious question.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding the proposal. But if people continue to sub, they're still getting a free week, that Zos isn't getting revenue from.

Specifically, someone on say a monthly sub due the 1st of the month would have renewed 1st November, now they'd renew 8 November. So zoe arn't getting paid for those 7 days, and get their monthly sub money a week later...?

I'm not saying they should or shouldn't; I'm just saying nothing in life is free...
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm currently not subscribed, because I haven't had that much time to play lately and other games got the priority (totally different genres though - for fantasy there is just TES) - but I will certainly subscribe again, once I know I will play more consistently again - what is very likely, I think ESO is better than it ever was and I have hope for the future to see all of Tamriel in the end - there is plenty of space still not covered yet on Tamriel.
    Edited by Lysette on October 19, 2021 2:27PM
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »

Because being generous with this would buy ZOS a great deal of goodwill from their subscriber base - it doesn't even cost them something extra, because most subscribers are likely to stay subscribed for as long as they are actively playing.

If as you described, the portion of ESO+ players that stay subscribed as long as they actively play, they would still be paying for their play time and adding an extra week would make no difference unless they actually plan to unsubscribe...

The benefit there would be negligible compared to previously giving free crates to existing ESO+ players.

Anyway, the free trial is an apple for non subscribers to get a taste of ESO+. If any non subscribers like it enough to take on a sub for even a short while, it's a gain for them, and those players are the target audience for this free tidbit.

It's not unfair, it's business. Unless a mass of ESO+ players are petty enough to unsubscribe because another group of players got ESO+ free for a few days, then that loss would tip the scale enough for them to offer something.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If as you described, the portion of ESO+ players that stay subscribed as long as they actively play, they would still be paying for their play time and adding an extra week would make no difference unless they actually plan to unsubscribe...

The benefit there would be negligible compared to previously giving free crates to existing ESO+ players.

Anyway, the free trial is an apple for non subscribers to get a taste of ESO+. If any non subscribers like it enough to take on a sub for even a short while, it's a gain for them, and those players are the target audience for this free tidbit.

It's not unfair, it's business. Unless a mass of ESO+ players are petty enough to unsubscribe because another group of players got ESO+ free for a few days, then that loss would tip the scale enough for them to offer something.

Or possibly they'd just stop doing Eso+ trials....
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of meaningless. Either they add it (and mess up everyones renewal dates and cause confusion) or they leave it as is. If they add it as "free" they'd no doubt also increase the price slightly so the revenue was the same. Seems far better to me to be as it is.

It's a good chance for new people to binge quest the DLC story lines.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Khami
    Khami
    ✭✭✭✭

What more do you want? Those who are using the free trial of ESO+ aren't getting any of the free stuff ESO+ subscribers get like the 1650 crowns or the discount in the crown store. They get access to all of the other stuff like the dlcs, crafting bag, double bank space, double housing space type stuff while losing it when the trial is over.

ZoS is already being generous to the ESO+ player base. You're just wanting more.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Was wondering when this obligatory thread would show up... as it always does every time there's a "free" anything.

(BTW I've been playing since launch, always subscribed, sometimes multiple accounts)

not really serious answer - it shows up because we wait for the servers to come online again and ZOS isn't punctual - so we need something to complain about.
  • Norgh
    Norgh
    ✭✭✭
    If it is going to cause an issue perhaps it is time to stop these free trials.
    Xbox EU-UK Xbox Series X
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larcomar wrote: »
    Or possibly they'd just stop doing Eso+ trials....

Quite possibly. Better that nobody gets anything, and god forbid somebody got something for free that's not me right?
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khami wrote: »

What more do you want? Those who are using the free trial of ESO+ aren't getting any of the free stuff ESO+ subscribers get like the 1650 crowns or the discount in the crown store. They get access to all of the other stuff like the dlcs, crafting bag, double bank space, double housing space type stuff while losing it when the trial is over.

ZoS is already being generous to the ESO+ player base. You're just wanting more.

I said in the beginning of this thread that I personally don't mind either way - but my experience in life is that being generous is getting more in return in the end than being greedy - ZOS is just slowly learning it, but they have been improving - I would just want them to improve even more, especially with something, what costs them nothing in the end - well, it is not even "more" for a consistent subscriber at all, it has no other benefit than feeling more appreciated by ZOS for being a subscriber.
    Edited by Lysette on October 19, 2021 2:40PM
  • npuk
    npuk
    ✭✭✭
    Chucking a pack of crates to existing subs when there is a free trial of plus would be extra incentive for people to sub
    The Sacrificial Warriors GMXbox One EU:18x CP Chars (2300+ CP)Xbox One NA: 3x CP Chars (800+ CP)Xbox One (alt) EU:5x CP Chars (1500+ CP)Xbox One (alt 2) EU:1x CP Chars (450+ CP)PC EU: 1x CP Char (400+ CP)
  • SkillzMFG
    SkillzMFG
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I do agree with you, knowing how today's companies work, I think it's best we don't complain about this, since ZOS is more likely to just never give anyone free ESO plus instead of refunding you your days of the sub.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Norgh wrote: »
    If it is going to cause an issue perhaps it is time to stop these free trials.

I don't think that it is an issue - and it is ok to have trials like that - but it would make more sense to offer a special discounted 3-month trial for those who haven't been subscribers before instead - in this case we wouldn't have this discussion.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It could be argued that the crowns, the discount in the crown store, and all the other benefits that ESO+ gets are not "free stuff" and are not a consequence of ZoS being "generous" to the ESO+ base. They are all part of what we pay for!

ZoS recognized that just getting access to the DLC was not good enough to encourage as many to sign up for ESO+ as they wanted/needed, so they had to add the sweeteners. ZoS aren't being "generous", they are selling a product and they have to make it attractive at the price.

More free stuff now, while the ESO+ trial is on for non-subscribers, would show everyone, subscribers and non-subscribers alike, that ZoS value ESO+ players. It's good optics!

Giving a freebie to non-subscribers and nothing to subscribers just looks mean, and might get a few non-subscribers thinking about how ZoS really treats the ESO+ players...
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I subscribed literally (as in, actually literally) a few hours before the free trial, and it did sting when I found out so... I feel that I somewhat agree, but I think it would be hard to do, especially with people subscribed for different terms and such. I'd be happier with other types of freebies: collectibles, crates, whatever.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds good in theory but in practice it's not that simple and could end up being annoying for subscribers.

For a start wouldn't adding a free week mean changing the renewal date? I assume most people who subscribe most/all the time have it set up so the payments come out on a convenient date or at least know when to expect it and suddenly having it move could be annoying, especially if the only way to move it back is to cancel, wait until the date you want and then renew. Annoying for monthly subscribers who would have to wait 3 weeks, really annoying for bi-annual or annual subscribers - there's usually 2-3 ESO+ trials in a year so the date would move by 2 or 3 weeks then you have to cancel, wait for it to run out and then renew, you could end up going most of a year without ESO+ to reset it, just to have it move again.

(I seem to remember this came up during the first year when subscribing was mandatory to play, ZOS would sometimes give free days when the servers were down for 24 hours or more (which happened occasionally) and then people got very confused when their renewal date kept moving.)

Maybe instead they add a week to the next time you subscribe, but that has the same problem of shifting the renewal date and has to be tracked somehow so they know who is entitled to it. What about people who don't subscribe all the time? I had ESO+ in September but it ran out on about the 25th and I have no idea when I'll subscribe again. If there had been a free trial last month would I be entitled to a free week? If so when would I get it and would ZOS have to keep track of the fact that I'm entitled to it for months until I choose to subscribe again?

Or is it only people who subscribe all the time who are entitled to a free week? That makes it more difficult for ZOS to track eligibility and risks mistakes being made. Does it have to be literally all the time, and if not how much leeway is given? What if instead of a month I'd bought a 3 month or annual subscription but also didn't renew it right away (I've done that in the past too), would I now be ineligible but someone who subscribed for 30 days, let it renew for another 30 days then cancelled gets it? How would that be fair when I've paid more and subscribed for longer than them?

What if my subscription was due to run out half-way through the free trial? Would I still get a whole week free, or only part? What if I start a paid subscription 3 days before the trial ends? It would be yet another thing ZOS need to track and make sure they get right.

I'm sure there's many more variations on circumstances I haven't thought of, I'm just going off my own experience as someone who subscribes occasionally.

Overall I don't think it's practical. If they wanted to do something for subscribers it would be better to give something during the free trial week rather than trying to give free ESO+ time. They stopped giving crown crates of course, which I suspect is because like the free trial itself that was supposed to be marketing - getting free ESO+ time lets players see the benefits so they're tempted to subscribe and getting free crates lets you see the cool items you can get and tempts you to buy more - and I assume it didn't work and they saw no increase in crate sales.

For players an increase in the crown allowance would be good. Those who like crates could use the extra crowns to buy some, those who don't could buy something else and either way it's something not included in the free trial. But I don't think that works as marketing. But I'm not sure what else ZOS have to try to sell that would be worth marketing to subscribers.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Vindold
    Vindold
    ✭✭✭

I don't understand you ppl...

You're paying for a time. ESO+ free trial simply takes away 2 weeks of your paid time, half of what you've paid.
    [snip]

Main reason to purchase ESO+ is for access to DLC and Craft bag and we just got it for free, for 2 weeks.
    Sure, we get 1650 Crowns, that's something, but personaly if I wanted some Crowns I'd probably go for 21000 with 40% discount after that I don't really need any more crowns for a year if not more.

Another thing is to think about other ppl, other countries. Many of them just can't afford sub\month and from their point of view it's just isn't fair, it's like robbery.

For example, Black Desert Online often gives free Premium for 7days which adds to your Premium if you used it(you can save it for later, convenient isn't it?).

More free stuff now, while the ESO+ trial is on for non-subscribers, would show everyone, subscribers and non-subscribers alike, that ZoS value ESO+ players. It's good optics!

Giving a freebie to non-subscribers and nothing to subscribers just looks mean, and might get a few non-subscribers thinking about how ZoS really treats the ESO+ players...

Exactly.

[edited for bait]
    Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on October 19, 2021 4:27PM
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And what should they do for all paid game owners whenever there's a "free game trial" week?