The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Tank/Dps build help

Mr_Vahlok
Mr_Vahlok
Hello I was wondering if anyone has done a necro hybrid build. I like to tank but would like to do some dps as well. The set up I am running right now is Leeching, Engine Guardian, and Ancient Dragonguard.

Skills are Inner rage, Caltrops/boneyard, Scythe, Necro potency, mystic siphon, Colossus
Backbar is Skeletal mage, silver leash, balance, wall of elements, blast bones

Highest I've been able to do is around 10.5k dps on world bosses. I'm going for a magic dps/tank build, running double ice staffs so i can use my stam for other stuff besides blocking. For CP I'm running all the tank passives on red, for blue I have Duelist Rebuff, Enduring Resolve, Untamed Aggression, and Biting Aura. Considering switching
Enduring Resolve for maybe Thaumaturge.

Any help on how I can increase my dps a little more would be greatly appreciate it.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never parsed my Orc Necro tank, but in easier group dungeons I really enjoyed Dragon's Defilement + Ravager combo. You grow stronger while debuffing everything around you. In groups I run this with Thurvokun, but there might be better monster sets for dps.

As this is a weapon damage setup I'm running it with 1h/2h. With the hybridization changes coming next patch it might also work with Ice Staffs, but I'm not sure which skills to use in that case.

There's also the Frozen Watcher + Ice Furnace combo if you like proc sets, but because proc sets have been through some nerf cycles I haven't gotten around to testing it myself yet.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Vahlok wrote: »
    Hello I was wondering if anyone has done a necro hybrid build. I like to tank but would like to do some dps as well. The set up I am running right now is Leeching, Engine Guardian, and Ancient Dragonguard.

What level of content are you doing and how many CP do you have. If you've got the CP for the blocks and resists and you don't want to do the harder vet dungeon content or tank trials with it then you can just build a DPS with the CP in health/resists and maybe a slightly shuffled set of gear.

Necro is not my thing but on templar for example I just swap mother's sorrow and medusa around a bit so I've got some medusa heavy parts. To be honest a lot of the non DLC normal dungeons you don't actually need to wear armour - or indeed some of the easier vet ones.

Also if you are on PC you can use things like dressing room to swap gear fast between DPS and tanking, even in a dungeon between fights - something that a lot of the vet content people seem to do all the time to flip between AOE and bossfight sets.

Too many toons not enough time
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crimson Twilight set might work.... I think? It'll do damage that scales with your max health. Thews of the Harbinger deals damage to enemies who hit you while blocking as well. These two ideas are not pure DPS methods, but they do let you stay tanky and get extra damage in. They've been nerfed over the years, but when built to the extreme can be worthwhile.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you are doing solo content, I'd suggest a PVP oriented build. That way you will get the damage and the armor/mitigation balance. If you are doing PVE group dungeons and want to do more damage as a tank, that's a different story.

Assuming is the first option, I think @etchedpixels has it spot on: heavy Medusa body and Mother's Sorrow weapons. I'm not a huge fan of Engine Guardian. Like Grundwulf better for sustain, Earthgore for healing, and Mighty Chudan for resistance and health. Oddly enough, Domihaus might be a solid monster set for a solo build using ice staves with that weird ring thing.

If its the second option, group dungeons, Leeching Plate is a solid call. Saw Crimson Twilight mentioned as an option. Its not what it once was, but they are about even in terms of damage and healing these days. For a monster set, Tremorscale is a good for boosting group damage. Been trying out Baron Zaudrus recently. I like it so far, and it does speed up ultimate building.

Which leaves Ancient Dragonguard. If you are a tanking in a group, you don't really want to get under 50% health which makes that second proc less useful. If you are going Ice/Ice, a set like Frostbite could be very effective. Its probably really cheap right now in guild stores with the even just ending. Flame Blossom might work as you are typically face-tanking. Or go old school and go Infallible Aether as it helps out group damage, too.

If you are doing the second option I'd steer clear of vet DLC dungeons though. I'd probably wonder what the heck is going on if I saw one of those damage sets proc in there off a tank. One last thought, when/if the hybrid changes that are rumored take effect, all this will probably go out the window

• BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad sets proccing eachother isn't a thing anymore. I used to run Thunderbug, Stormknight, and Grothdar. That was a fun setup that required no effort to contribute to damage.
  • xPoisin
    xPoisin
    ✭✭✭
    For PVE you can try something like 3x medium Bahraha + 2x Heavy Leeching + 2x medium Hrothgar, (jewelry and weapons combine to get full 5piece Bahraha and Leeching), with 2H frontbar, Ice staff backbar…
    Frontbar stampede, carve (for stacking bleed damage), blastbones, siphon + flexslot + ultimate whatever you want.
    On backbar ice blockade (shielding enchant), razor caltrops, skletal mage/arcanist, guardian for heal, flexslot + colosus ulti.

You can do solid 25-30K DPS. When tanking use staff bar as main tanking bar (healing and blocking with magicka). Use summoner armoir when tanking to get resistances up to 25-30K (depends on race).
  • Snow_White
    Snow_White
    ✭✭✭
    Run a Magcro DPS build with scythe (damage + self heal), beckoning armour (major resolve + chain), and spirit guardian (dmg reduction + self-heal) swapped in.

Double frost staves for the improved block mitigation and you can do most non-vet content in light armour.
    Edited by Snow_White on November 4, 2021 3:14PM
  • Gundug
    Gundug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run a warden tank with Leeching plus Azureblight Reaper with Vateshran ice staff and Maelstrom ice staff sometimes. As long as I maintain several constant AOE damage over time skills, it erases large trash mobs. The highest DPS I have seen was around 120k. Single target is only around what you are getting though - maybe 10-15k.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you switch gear you can do a fair bit of damage more easily than if you try and pick a set to do tanking and dps in.

On a magplar I run mother's sorrow and medusa (not yet changed for the U32 changes) and I can do a lot of damage with jabs and the usual. When I tank I wear different gear. If you are doing dungeon stuff only you can also keep your health attributes a bit lower and wear plague doctor as one of your sets.

I do run mag tanks with 64 magicka and partly selfish sets. You probably do need the resistance CP points and it's a bit harder to master, but it's perfectly doable and your damage will not be too much below pure DPS.
  • Mr_Vahlok
    Mr_Vahlok
    so after a bit of gear acquiring I am now able to do closer to 15k dps as a mag-oriented tank/dps. I'm now running leeching, powerful asssault, and domihaus. i was using leeching, mothers sorrow, and domihaus when i was doing close to 15k, i wanted to try a stam oriented tank/dps but i need to level bow for crusher. New setup is domihaus, powerful assault, and leeching still.

Quick question, is it possible to tank without shield or ice staff for the block mitigation? I was considering maybe running something like 2h/ bow or dual/bow. I know id be losing a lot of benefits but i figured id push more dps.
  • RandomKodiak
    RandomKodiak
    ✭✭✭✭
    If going for damage/tank would not recommend losing the S&B on front bar but could run 2hander on backbar. Stampede is stupid amounts of damage and could also run brawler for AoE damage and shielding.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In some ways losing the S&B is easier than losing the ice staff. With 2H and S&B you've got no way to block with magicka so sustain becomes more of a problem
  • Mr_Vahlok
    Mr_Vahlok
    I see well i could always use class abilities on S&B for damage and use 2h back bar. Is crusher still inconsistent on 2H? I was watching Nefas video on how crusher works and you could see it would go to the furthest enemy.